Listening to crap coded music, with Good headphones?!??!
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vash2022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could just rip your cds with mediamonkey i believe its called, rips to .flac, and then convert those to mp3. Or download songbird if you need a itunes alternative that plays .flac

You can also use Cog and Vox. I've got all three on my laptop, and use Vox pretty much all the time.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also use Cog and Vox. I've got all three on my laptop, and use Vox pretty much all the time.

Does it convert the .flac to mp3 for you, or you use a separate program?

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #33 of 41
I'm in it deep: Airport Extreme, iMac, Macbook, three iPods, iPhone ... yikes.

My iMac has a persistent issue with the optical drive. It is a piece of crap, is the issue.

The iPhone locking is ridiculous, and a clear step backwards. The planned obsolescence is also annoying, but I know a lot of old-school Mac users still using PPC and loving it, so I have hope that my imac will never die.

The first generation glitch-fest is a shame, and it is endemic across their lines. So much so that "never buy a first-generation Apple" is almost a meme. The first gens are always easier to hack, though...

To me, the issue is this. Apple is trying hard to create a coherent experience. The more of their stuff you buy, the more value you get out of each piece. This is clever, but it does not make for interoperability in most cases. I resisted buying an Apple TV because it is a pile of garbage (IMHO) and I have 0 intention of formatting all my video files to work with iTunes in order to watch them. most of them are crazy .mkv with two audio streams, or Turkish bootlegs, or something equally zany. I suspect that many people rightfully feel the way I feel about the Apple TV, just about all their products. Fine by me.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in it deep: Airport Extreme, iMac, Macbook, three iPods, iPhone ... yikes.

My iMac has a persistent issue with the optical drive. It is a piece of crap, is the issue.

The iPhone locking is ridiculous, and a clear step backwards. The planned obsolescence is also annoying, but I know a lot of old-school Mac users still using PPC and loving it, so I have hope that my imac will never die.

The first generation glitch-fest is a shame, and it is endemic across their lines. So much so that "never buy a first-generation Apple" is almost a meme. The first gens are always easier to hack, though...

To me, the issue is this. Apple is trying hard to create a coherent experience. The more of their stuff you buy, the more value you get out of each piece. This is clever, but it does not make for interoperability in most cases. I resisted buying an Apple TV because it is a pile of garbage (IMHO) and I have 0 intention of formatting all my video files to work with iTunes in order to watch them. most of them are crazy .mkv with two audio streams, or Turkish bootlegs, or something equally zany. I suspect that many people rightfully feel the way I feel about the Apple TV, just about all their products. Fine by me.

I definetely agree. I loved the "glitch-fest" part.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Does it convert the .flac to mp3 for you, or you use a separate program?

Vox can convert too. :O)

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #36 of 41
I downloaded my first .flac cd, porcupine tree - deadwing, it sounds great on my terrible speakers that came with my pc, but im hoping to hear them via my dt 990s im getting tomorrow.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

I downloaded my first .flac cd, porcupine tree - deadwing, it sounds great on my terrible speakers that came with my pc, but im hoping to hear them via my dt 990s im getting tomorrow.

Good man, Porcupine Tree is fantastic to test out a setup on.
I use them all the time for testing purposes.
Audiophile quality stuff.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #38 of 41
JetAudio Plus. PERIOD.

It will play everything. Plays all you .mkv files, quicktime files, real audio files, every variable format.

Convert all your videos if you want, convert to any audio format. You want lossless? Np, convert to .flac, wma lossless, real lossless and another one. Even convert to mpc, ogg, whatever.

Play your CDs, play your dvds, xvid, divx, .wmp, wma, its awesomeness.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #39 of 41
I agree with those that said it starts to get difficult to differentiate between 192 kB/s and above. Even some 128 kB/s encoded files sound fine and I can't tell the difference.

However with a lot of songs I can definitely hear the compression. If you find yourself unable to hear compression artifacts or you're not sure what to listen for then try to encode a familiar song at a really low bit-rate like 64 kB/s, then encode another copy at 96 kB/s, another at 128 kB/s, and so on. Listen to all of these in succession until you can't notice the difference.

To be safe I encode at 256 kB/s or above on my DAP and just rip lossless files to my PC because space isn't an issue.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 41
192 is the point where the differences really start to become so minor it is hard to reliably hear the difference at all.
Buy CDs or do what I do.
...download mp3 files. Check the bitrate and make sure it's not an .exe or something fishy like that. It's really that simple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back