Little Dot MK IV Tube Rolling
Oct 18, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 45
The SE and the standard are different circuit boards. You have a lot more output tube choices. If you like the Phillips, 7119 Amperex's and 5687 Tung Sol Black Plates will be to your liking also.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MKIVse model. It is limited tube rolling compared to the MKIV standard, however, I found an excellent power tube. It is the Phillips Jan 5687WB. They are a black plate tube. They are pure sonic heaven! After a 50 hour break-in, they sounded way better than the Mullard E182CCs that came with my unit and now after several hundred hours, they sound even better. One seller on eBay is asking quite a bit for a matched set $36, but others pop up on occasion with a better price @ $19. I don't know if the MKIV standard will take these tubes, but if they do, it is well worth the money to have a set!

Dave McLaughlin

interesting. i will have to look into this. i was under the impression that the tubes pre installed on the SE were the best combination (arguably).

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #18 of 45
Mullards and Telefunkin tubes have risen to cult status. They are worshiped.
In an amp that is highly detailed and revealing I find them merely 'pleasant'.
The choice of Mullard outputs or inputs would in many circles be lauded as a perfect choice. Some of us however, haven't just discovered tubes in the last few years. Rather, I dismissed solid state 35 yeras ago as a curiosity and have continued to play with the little bottles. So I am rather predujiced and not to be taken too seriously.

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #19 of 45
Negatron, I think you hit it on the head. The Mullards are just what you would expect from a Mullard tube. On my MKIVse, they sound wonderful for "anything but rock" and the Phillips I ranted on earlier seem to be uneffected by the type of music. Very interesting!

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 45
I have a LD MKIV SE version, and I'm completely blank when it comes to selecting tubes. Can someone just recommend a set of both input/output tubes and where to find them?

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mreggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a LD MKIV SE version, and I'm completely blank when it comes to selecting tubes. Can someone just recommend a set of both input/output tubes and where to find them?

The input tubes are abundant, 5654's and their subs are all over the Internet and ebay.
Your choice of output tubes depends on whether you have an earlier or later SE. The first ones used the Russian 6H30Pi and there is no sub. Although the 6H6P will fit and sound fine and costs $2 rather than $30 -AND it will run at a lower current but that will cause an increase in voltage available and the tube will still run in a very linear region. I like them in the MKIV's. The newer SE's can use 5687, 7044 or 7119. They are all available in abundance, though prices are starting to climb with the interest in Head-Fi rising. (drat!)

Search the forums here and on DIY audio sites on the internet for more specific info on the different tubes. Don't get too wrapped up in tubes though, listening to music is after all the whole point of having the gear. There is nothing wrong with the choice of tubes that came with the amp new.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 45
Yeah I'm not getting wrappet up in tubes, far from it. I just want some spares in case they call it a night. Also sometimes when I start it up it has a slight hum in the right channel while its cold. It also seems like the right channel is lower than the left but that could be my imagination.
My MKIV SE says CN: 029 on the bottom. Would that mean that I have to have the 6H30Pi?

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Yeah I'm not getting wrappet up in tubes, far from it. I just want some spares in case they call it a night. Also sometimes when I start it up it has a slight hum in the right channel while its cold. It also seems like the right channel is lower than the left but that could be my imagination.
My MKIV SE says CN: 029 on the bottom. Would that mean that I have to have the 6H30Pi?

As to one channel seeming louder than the other, you may try switching the input (front) tubes to opposite sides, sometimes the gain of the tube varies and since the front and rear tubes work as a pair, at times you can swap and get better balance between channels.

I have no idea what the 029 means, but if the top 1/3 of the tube is silver, they are likely 6H30Pi's. Hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 45
I'm having some trouble finding tung-sols or we403 tubes. Got this offer;
"We have a tested exact match pair Tung-Sol TS-5654/6AK5W 322NT7 (both same
code), made in USA in original box NOS. Tested by Sencore
TC154 at 92 & 92.50. Price is $99.00 plus shipping $17.90 via Priority
Int'l or $24.90 via Express Int'l. Please let me know if you would
like to process. Thanks."

Thats too much right?

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 45
OMG, that's way too much! I found 4 Tung-Sols on ebay, worked out to $8 per tube. Keep looking, you'll find a good deal.

Dave McLaughlin

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Thats too much right?

Check eBay item# 230186180236
This is where I got my Tung-sols at.
Good luck!
580smile.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Thats too much right?

If you pay more than $10 per tube make sure that the gun to your head is at LEAST a .44 Magnum.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #28 of 45
The listing says 5687, are they compatible with 5654? I'm completely blank.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check eBay item# 230186180236
This is where I got my Tung-sols at.
Good luck!
580smile.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #29 of 45
I have an early version of the LD MKIV SE that came with the Russian 6H30Pi Output (power) tubes.
The newer SE versions use the E182CC power tubes. Can I substitute these E182CC tubes in my earlier version SE?
The big reason I ask is because I have six NOS Phillips Jan 5687WB that are a substitute for the E182CC.
Sorry if this has already been explained. I am new to tubes and don't want to hurt my SE.
Jim

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an early version of the LD MKIV SE that came with the Russian 6H30Pi Output (power) tubes.
The newer SE versions use the E182CC power tubes. Can I substitute these E182CC tubes in my earlier version SE?
The big reason I ask is because I have six NOS Phillips Jan 5687WB that are a substitute for the E182CC.
Sorry if this has already been explained. I am new to tubes and don't want to hurt my SE.
Jim

Sorry to say they won't work without surgery. There is a good side to that though. The 6H6P at $2 is almost identical to the 5687, I have boxes of 5687's also but have come to prefer the Russian tubes. a box of 10 will cost you $20 plus about $10 shipping. They work fine in the MKIV. I actually prefer them to the 6H30Pi and run the $2 babies in my MKIV. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back