Little Dot MK IV Tube Rolling
Nov 3, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #31 of 45
OK, let me see if I have this right.
1: The newer SE versions E182CC and the equivalent 5687WB will not work without modifications to my older version SE.
2: The cheaper Russian 6H6P (6H6Pi) will work in my older version SE and perform about as well as the non compatible 5687WB and the more expensive but compatible 6H30Pi.

Off topic:
I can see where the tube compatibility differences between the 2 versions could cause problems later on for less knowledgeable people like me.
We will have to be careful to identify the MK IV SE version in future threads when discussing tubes.
I think they should have changed the model designation a bit to avoid confusion.

Think I will wander over to the Little Tube forum (home of the Little Dot Amp) and ask some questions.

Thanks
Jim

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #32 of 45
hi
i just received my MKIV last week and i want to start tube-rolling, is EF92 better that stock 5654? and is 6H30Pi only have 6H(N)6Pi as replacement?

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #33 of 45
They should, about to find out shortly
biggrin.gif
, the WE's are apparently the nicest...as for the 6H30's, yeh there doesnt seem to be anything else other than 6n6p from the ppl i've asked...however there are variants of the 6H30:

6H30 Types

the DR is interesting, that BAT uses it...better be for 80 big ones :p...

Actually i've been asking around about the electro-harmonix gold pin version, some people have said that theyre 1 pin short, is this true? anyone?

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #34 of 45
isn't gold pin 6H30Pi used in MKIV SE
hmm.. i'm confused by jumper switch in MKIV, the manual book said that if jumper is off i can use 5654 and equivalents, and if its on i can use EF92 and the others, but i have the jumper on and got 5654 in stock, now i got difficulties to remove the jumper from the board

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dste6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should, about to find out shortly
biggrin.gif
, the WE's are apparently the nicest...as for the 6H30's, yeh there doesnt seem to be anything else other than 6n6p from the ppl i've asked...however there are variants of the 6H30:

6H30 Types

the DR is interesting, that BAT uses it...better be for 80 big ones :p...

Actually i've been asking around about the electro-harmonix gold pin version, some people have said that theyre 1 pin short, is this true? anyone?

How many pins do 6H30s usually have? I'll check my new EH gold pins when I get home from work.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many pins do 6H30s usually have? I'll check my new EH gold pins when I get home from work.

Many thanks tachikoma; stands to reason that if they come with SE then its the same pin config...i just dont understand where this thing with 'minus 1 pin' came from.

sov 6H30 have 9 pins

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #41 of 45
Hi all,

First of all I'm new!  And I just burnt one of my Sovtek 6H30 that comes with my MKIV. So now my question is what to choose to replace? I'm thinking might as well to change them all. I read the forum here the Mullard M8100 seems perfect for the MKIV and now what would be good as the two little tubes in the front?  (by the way I like to listen rock and alternative)  
happy_face1.gif

Thanks!

May 2, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 45

Well, I caught a fever – hi-fi fever and brought the LD MKIV SE.  After much research and reading, (thank you, Head-fiers), I decided to take a chance and went with LD instead of Woo.  Funny thing is, probably both made by Chinese, - one in Queens, USA, the other near HK.  Woo seem to have better built quality; LD just seemed to offered better value.  Even though it is supposed to be all about the sound quality; I have never heard Woo – but I am very happy with LD MK Se.  I started ordering tubes even before my MK SE arrive – and made some mistakes.  
David (Little Dot) told me the 5687 and 6N6P/E182CC and 408A are not compatible to this latest (05/2011) MKIV SE.

List of compatible DRIVER tubes (bold=confirmed)
   EF91  CV10327 6AM6 CV131 CV138 CV1955 CV2195 Z77
   EF92 CV2023 6CQ6 V884 VP6 M8161
   EF95 5654 403A/B 6J1P-EV 6069 CV850 CV4010 5591 6F32/V CV5216 6AK5/W 6ZH1P CV8159 CV8225 CV8246 CV10100 CV10442  

I brought a total of 60 tubes (around $200) and tested them.  Here is what I found so far:
- other Head-fiers were right. one reason for a lack to tube rolling posting may be the MKIV SE STOCK tubes are very good.  In addition, all of the tested tubes sounded very good in the MKIV SE.     
- No regrets – there are subtle differences between tubes - preference depends on the media.  
- List of DRIVER tubes  85% of the sound.
              Mullard M8100
              Soviet  6J1P
              Soviet 6J1P-EV
              Raytheon
              GE 6AK5W
              Westinghouse  6AK5W 
              Matched GE 6AK5W
              CEI 403B
              Tung Sol 6AK5W
              Western Electric  403B  

I listen to movies, pop, jazz, classical and pc games.  The differences, again, are very minor.  It is very difficult to tell one tube from the other, never mind to describe them. 
I will say that I prefer (my preference depends on the type of media and mood)
Mullard – smooth and rich sound; relaxed never harsh.
Tung-sol – similar to Mullard, but with more dynamic.
CEI (made in England) – similar to Mullard – for classical music / and movies
Raytheon – GE – Westinghouse – WE: all very similar, very good all around tubes.
Soviet tubes: bright and powerful – good for vocal, gaming.

David said only 6H30/6N30 are compatible POWER tubes.  6N30P-DR are too expensive and other Head-fiers said it's 15% of the sound and not worth it.  I still would like to get a pair to try and keep as spare if I could find it at a reasonable price.  At over $100 each?!! Come on, it's just a glorify outdated light bulb.     
I could have gotten a Woo amp, but then I would have missed the fun of tube rolling.  The MKIV SE seems to offer a lot more value for the money.  I'd be interested in seeing the opinions of owners of both amps - Little Dot and Woo. 
My next project – tube roll speaker amp.  My Onkyo amp should arrive tomorrow.  I’ll use the MKIV SE as pre-amp to the Onkyo amp and to drive the Polk Audio Monitor60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back