Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,561 of 5,299
Super disappointed.
W2 sounds great with my Thummim but is utterly useless for on the go use.

Playback keeps getting interrupted, presumably because of a poor cable connection.

Anyone else getting this with their iPhone?

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,562 of 5,299
Super disappointed.

Playback keeps getting interrupted, presumably because of a poor cable connection.

Is that with the stock W2 cable? Not had any issues with mine but I'm Android so using USB-C to USB-C.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/mytysun-Lightning-Charging-Certified-0-13M-Compatible-Black/dp/B08NJVXYVN/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3DL4316SYBYTD&dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+lightning+cable&qid=1616954818&s=electronics&sprefix=usb+c+to+li,electronics,246&sr=1-18

Glad to see another UK'er with Thummim/W2 combo. Had a migrain since Friday evening so only just got back on the music boat. My ZX507 sold pretty much instantly so money in the pocket too. That never happens to me. haha

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,563 of 5,299
Super disappointed.

I got interruptions while playing Tidal on Macbook by only slightly touching the cable, not so much with IPhone though I remember there were complaints from other users.
I have ordered different cable at Aliexpress:
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001777026395.html

This cable was also praised:
https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/...lver-plated-cable.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,564 of 5,299
Yeah I will get that DD Hifi iPhone adapter in a couple of days or so. Will report back about its connectivity with iPhone.

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,565 of 5,299
I just got my W2 today. I just spent 1.5 hours doing some A/B/C/D testing using my EE Odin as the earphones, iPhone and Tidal as my source and I compared Lotoo PAW S1, LPW2, Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo 2. To me, the sound signature is so obvious that I don't need to do much more testing. I know where it fits.

The LP W2 is a direct upgrade to the Lotoo PAW S1. It has a very similar transparent sound signature, but it just does it better all around. Whereas the S1 sounds boomy across the frequency response spectrum at times, the W2 is very tight and clean. The difference is bigger than the difference between the DragonFly Red and DragonFly Cobalt. You need a good ear to hear the difference between the Red and Cobalt. Anyone can hear the difference between the S1 and W2. I forgot to bring the DragonFly Red with me, so I can't compare it, but I prefer the S1 to the DragonFly Red.

To me, the LPW2 is comparable in quality to the Chord Mojo for driving IEMs. I only brought my ZMF VC with me on this trip, so I will test the driving power of the W2 for high impedance full headphones with it. I would be surprised if it did very well especially given the earlier description of the W2 and HD800. My guess is the Chord Mojo will have the power advantage as it can drive the VC.

The big difference between the Chord Mojo and the LP W2 is sound signature. The Chord Mojo has a warm signature whereas the W2 has a much more transparent signature. Depending on the IEM you are pairing it with, one or the other will likely sound better. To me, the Chord Mojo did better on tracks that had more of bass emphasis given its warm sound signature. The W2 did better with Classical and acoustic music. Anything that favors sound stage and transparency.

It was a complete knock out with the W2 vs. the Chord Hugo 2. The H2 was better in almost every way especially with respect to resolution; and detail and clarity.

More later as I get more ear time with it. But, this evaluation was very straight forward to me. I don't expect my opinion to change much. I look forward to pairing it with the Hugo 2 and C9 to see how far this dongle can go.
Phantastic - so you mean that a 260 Euro L&P W2 DAC can be not far away from a 2.300 Euro Chord Hugo 2. That means for a10 times less expensive device to sacrifice how much of sound quality ?
I use a W2 and think it is as much as anyone needs for great jazz and classical music - but then stepping up to such a device you compare it with requires a bit more good arguments....
It kind of gives me the feeling that L&P developed something rather outstanding in terms of value/price performace.
AK-TF- 2021-03-28_2960.jpg

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,566 of 5,299
No issues with my S21 Ultra so must be the cable. I wouldn't say that the W2 is nearly in the same league as the Hugo 2 :wink:

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,567 of 5,299
Super disappointed.

Yes. I am having that problem now. Losing connectivity. The cable that comes with the W2 sucks. The Lotoo is a little better. But, it has problems, too.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,568 of 5,299
Phantastic - so you mean that a 260 Euro L&P W2 DAC can be not far away from a 2.300 Euro Chord Hugo 2. That means for a10 times less expensive device to sacrifice how much of sound quality ?
I use a W2 and think it is as much as anyone needs for great jazz and classical music - but then stepping up to such a device you compare it with requires a bit more good arguments....
It kind of gives me the feeling that L&P developed something rather outstanding in terms of value/price performace.
AK-TF- 2021-03-28_2960.jpg
Did you read what I wrote? I said the Hugo 2 was better in every way than the W2. Someone commented that their Utopias use with the W2 using balanced output and experiencing too much resolution. That wasn't me. I can't compare the Hugo 2 to the W2 with balanced output since the Hugo 2 is only single ended.

I did say that the sound quality from the W2 was superior to my Hiby R6 2020, but it has applications features which is what I use it for.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,569 of 5,299
I replaced the cable straight away, couldn't be dealing with a white cable on a black device! No connection issues on my S20 or Mac... well except for not being used to having a dongle connected to my phone, picking it up and the W20 went flying across the room, no damage thankfully!

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,570 of 5,299
Yes. I am having that problem now. Losing connectivity. The cable that comes with the W2 sucks. The Lotoo is a little better. But, it has problems, too.
One from Lotoo S1 (Type C to Type C) is also a mess, very poor connection with interruptions after the slightest movement. Gonna order Fiio LT-TC1 to fix that as there are numerous positive reviews from other S1 owners.

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,571 of 5,299
I replaced the cable straight away, couldn't be dealing with a white cable on a black device! No connection issues on my S20 or Mac... well except for not being used to having a dongle connected to my phone, picking it up and the W20 went flying across the room, no damage thankfully!
:sweat_smile:oh my, I can imagine that scene - thank god it stayed intact.
Though from physics point of view a smaller mass will also mean smaller impact, so that can even be an advantage compared to some full size DAPs :wink:

I have just replaced the white USB-C cable against the one from my Qudelix 5k and since then no connection issues anymore on my Macbook...

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,572 of 5,299
:sweat_smile:oh my, I can imagine that scene - thank god it stayed intact.
Though from physics point of view a smaller mass will also mean smaller impact, so that can even be an advantage compared to some full size DAPs :wink:

I have just replaced the white USB-C cable against the one from my Qudelix 5k and since then no connection issues anymore on my Macbook...

Yes indeed, a nervous scramble to pick it up and test! Landed on a wooden floor but as you say, very light so figured it would be OK. A case would definitely be good for a bit more safety and scratches etc over time.

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,573 of 5,299
Is that with the stock W2 cable? Not had any issues with mine but I'm Android so using USB-C to USB-C.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/mytysun-Lightning-Charging-Certified-0-13M-Compatible-Black/dp/B08NJVXYVN/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3DL4316SYBYTD&dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+lightning+cable&qid=1616954818&s=electronics&sprefix=usb+c+to+li,electronics,246&sr=1-18

Glad to see another UK'er with Thummim/W2 combo. Had a migrain since Friday evening so only just got back on the music boat. My ZX507 sold pretty much instantly so money in the pocket too. That never happens to me. haha
I really like the looks of that cable!! Unfortunately, it's not available from amazon in the States. :slight_frown: Anything worth considering here across the pond??

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,574 of 5,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back