Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,576 of 5,299
I don’t think so.
Yep, seems to be from Hong Kong as far as I could decipher...
Sorry, this was my closest guess.
I ordered 1st link in Aliexpress, hopefully getting it not too late...

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #1,577 of 5,299
Noob question, does the systemwide eq / autoeq / wavelet on my android phone works if i use external dac / dongle like l&p w1/w2 ? Thanks

Wavelet is working fine with W1 (or any android compatible DAC as far as I know). You just have to not allow any app to use your DAC in exclusive mode when you connect it (like UAPP), so your DAC will work system wide using wavelet, like your 3.5 output, shared. If you have automated an app to use your DAC at connection, you may have to cancel it in app info -> cancel defaut app or something like that (not sure of the exact thing in English). Note that wavelet won't work with some non broadcasting apps (like Soundcloud). Oh and there are 2 modes (legacy ticked or unticked if I'm correct), you may have to try both to find which one works with your phone.

If you want a simple headphone choosing EQ like wavelet in an exclusive mode audio app, you have the Tonebooster "Morphit" plugin in UAPP which works pretty well, you'll have to pay the extra feature tough.

I got interruptions while playing Tidal on Macbook by only slightly touching the cable, not so much with IPhone though I remember there were complaints from other users.
I have ordered different cable at Aliexpress:
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001777026395.html

This cable was also praised:
https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/...lver-plated-cable.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

I'm not an Apple user, but I can confirm DD hifi cables and adapters are quality, I own one usb-c to micro-usb and three usb-c to usb-c cables for a couple of months, all of them work fine, and I'm the phone in jeans pocket / dongle hanging outside kind of guy. None of my previous cables lasted more than two weeks, honor medal for the Hidizs S8 cable which was constantly disconnecting brand new. Also have 2.5 to 4.4 and 4.4 to 2.5 adapters, smallest ones you can find I think, work nicely.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,579 of 5,299
This is not the pairing that I was trying to make, but it sounds phenomenal and I am going to use it as a mobile solution. It turns the R6 2020 into a great sounding DAP. It really opens up the sound stage to capitalize on the UM MEST sound stage and imaging. And, the bass is deep and rumbles.

Second picture is how to position it for walking. The USB-C to USB-C cable works a lot better than the lightning cable.

Attachments

• R6 W2 MEST.jpeg
    R6 W2 MEST.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • R6 W2 MEST 2.jpeg
    R6 W2 MEST 2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #1,580 of 5,299
Super
This is not the pairing that I was trying to make, but it sounds phenomenal and I am going to use it as a mobile solution. It turns the R6 2020 into a great sounding DAP. It really opens up the sound stage to capitalize on the UM MEST sound stage and imaging. And, the bass is deep and rumbles.

Second picture is how to position it for walking. The USB-C to USB-C cable works a lot better than the lightning cable.
Great that this little dongle can leverage mid-fi DAPS! 👍
And seems the USB-C cable isn't unstable in all cases - on my MacBook it was constantly disconnecting
Can you share how you attached the W2 to the case?

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #1,581 of 5,299
The earlier post about exclusive mode reminded me of a bad experience on my MacBook yesterday
I had the auto volume setting on and played around with the Tidal outout selection modes.
After switching from OS standard to W2 exclusive W2 switched its volume to 100% and almost blasted my ears!
Please all of you be careful with this volume mode.
Whereas it's super comfortable not needing to touch W2 buttons it's also dangerous to rely on the software in the source OS...
So whenever changing essential settings dealing with output modes, take your IEMs out!
Once set I assume it's safe.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #1,582 of 5,299
Super disappointed.
W2 sounds great with my Thummim but is utterly useless for on the go use.

Playback keeps getting interrupted, presumably because of a poor cable connection.

Anyone else getting this with their iPhone?

Had the same problem with my Thummim then perused the thread. Make sure you are in 1. High gain and 2. Volume is below 70.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #1,584 of 5,299
Had the same problem with my Thummim then perused the thread. Make sure you are in 1. High gain and 2. Volume is below 70.
That wasn't the issue. Same setup and settings but using my S21 Ultra with no issues.

The issues only arose with the iPhone when not static. I have ordered a new usbc to lightning cable but yesterday's annoyance reminded me why I generally dislike dongles.

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,585 of 5,299
The earlier post about exclusive mode reminded me of a bad experience on my MacBook yesterday
I had the auto volume setting on and played around with the Tidal outout selection modes.
After switching from OS standard to W2 exclusive W2 switched its volume to 100% and almost blasted my ears!
Please all of you be careful with this volume mode.
Whereas it's super comfortable not needing to touch W2 buttons it's also dangerous to rely on the software in the source OS...
So whenever changing essential settings dealing with output modes, take your IEMs out!
Once set I assume it's safe.

By "exclusive mode", I was meaning apps which use the DAC in exclusive mode (only one app can use the dongle, without OS resampling - phone equivalent of ASIO/WASAPI non shared), not the HID Key function of L&P dongles which enable/disable OS/apps volume control and only allows hardware volume control.

You can run exclusive mode with the OS volume control disabled (hardware control only).

I personally prevent the accidental switching between exclusive mode in UAPP and system wide output by unticking "release USB driver on home" and leaving the "confirm to quit" in UAPP settings. Considering the fact I use Bubbleupnp as bridge to stream my library to UAPP, it also prevent the problem of Bubble automatically switching from UAPP upnp renderer output to local player output on wifi connection loss (since UAPP is in exclusive mode and running, the automatic switch to local player output does nothing, since it's muted by UAPP exclusive mode. When I want system wide output, I just disconnect / reconnect the dongle, and don't allow UAPP to use the dongle when I get the popup. Just quitting UAPP also works if you're not using its upnp render (it remains active at exit if it is in use).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #1,586 of 5,299
By "exclusive mode", I was meaning apps which use the DAC in exclusive mode (only one app can use the dongle, without OS resampling - phone equivalent of ASIO/WASAPI non shared), not the HID Key function of L&P dongles which enable/disable OS/apps volume control and only allows hardware volume control.

You can run exclusive mode with the OS volume control disabled (hardware control only).

I personally prevent the accidental switching between exclusive mode in UAPP and system wide output by unticking "release USB driver on home" and leaving the "confirm to quit" in UAPP settings. Considering the fact I use Bubbleupnp as bridge to stream my library to UAPP, it also prevent the problem of Bubble switching from UAPP upnp renderer output to local player output on wifi connection loss (since UAPP is in exclusive mode and running, the automatic switch to local player output does nothing, since it's muted by UAPP exclusive mode.
I know you didn't mean it, just wanted to warn about the general danger of the HID key setting in combination with the source settings.
That is the config screen in Tidal (sorry in German), the 2nd option "keep volume at 100%" was activated once I switched to exclusive mode.
1617013651622.png

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,587 of 5,299
Since we're sharing bad experiences, another warning : if you're using Bubbleupnp to control UAPP upnp render volume, switching dongles without exiting Bubble sometimes prevent Bubble to sync with UAPP renderer volume, and you get the (sometimes blasting) volume kept by Bubble when you level the volume in Bubble, even with you've already adjusted the dongle volume in UAPP at connection (not sure if I'm very clear in English on this one). Let's say you were using a non powerful dongle volume set to 90% in bubble, you switch to a powerful dongle, you adjust the volume at connection in UAPP to let's say 50%, back to Bubble to resume playing, everything's fine, and then, when you want a bit more or less volume and press the phone volume control up or down, Bubble set the volume like it was always on 90%. Ouch.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #1,588 of 5,299
Reading about Upnp, is someone using this or similar solution on IOS to share hires content from their NAS etc?
IPhone has a larger bottleneck due to missing SD slot as most of you know 😉
I tried Neutron for example and it worked ok, other examples, experiences?
For the lazy ones, of course the workaround is to stream the same content just from your favorite hires cloud service like Tidal which is another topic: how much worth is your local library nowadays when you can get anything from your streaming service anyway - though I have exclusive content such as Michael Jackson Thriller album in 24/176 which is not in Tidal in that quality...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #1,590 of 5,299
Reading about Upnp, is someone using this or similar solution on IOS to share hires content from their NAS etc?
IPhone has a larger bottleneck due to missing SD slot as most of you know 😉
I tried Neutron for example and it worked ok, other examples, experiences?
For the lazy ones, of course the workaround is to stream the same content just from your favorite hires cloud service like Tidal which is another topic: how much worth is your local library nowadays when you can get anything from your streaming service anyway - though I have exclusive content such as Michael Jackson Thriller album in 24/176 which is not in Tidal in that quality...

Installed Mconnect on a friend of mine's iphone once, worked fine. You can browse upnp or network libraries, and output it to any upnp renderer (like Neutron - very nice features, worst interface ever). Mconnect also have a local player.

Oh, and I'm very, very attached to my personal library :wink:

EDIT : Note that mconnect is far away to offer the same experience as Bubble upnp. Mainly, you don't get the upnp library search function (for libraries which support it, like Foobar2000 upnp library). As far as I know, Bubbleupnp is the only phone app which supports search function on upnp libraries. I'm interrested if someone knows about another one tough. Maybe time to switch to android ? :wink: :D
For videos, VLC supports upnp and network browsing on android, I assume it's the same on IOS. With Bubbleupnp you can output videos and pictures from your upnp library to any installed app on your phone, even non upnp ones. You don't have an unlimited streaming app for your movies and series, right ? :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back