Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #46 of 5,299
Whats the W1 W2 difference
W2 uses 2 chips while W1 uses only 1. Because of this, W2 has better measurements but the general functionality is the same between the two.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #49 of 5,299
So we expect W2 to sound better of course?
I think so, although some people may conclude that W1 is already good enough so the improvement to W2 is not that significant. :smirk: The familiar diminishing return story.

Based on the measurements at least, the difference is quite noticeable between the two.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #50 of 5,299
I think so, although some people may conclude that W1 is already good enough so the improvement to W2 is not that significant. :smirk: The familiar diminishing return story.

Based on the measurements at least, the difference is quite noticeable between the two.
Well i know my type 😆
After zorloos and p1s and million others, it'll be the best🍻👍

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #51 of 5,299
Ok, let’s do this,

talking about the amazing options that this dongle have would be doing a review, which I don’t feel capable of doing cause I start talking about stuff and my brain goes everywhere, though it does beat It’s competition, I’m waiting for w2, I would be blown away if it brings better sq, w1 already beats its competition imo, sound is straight forward, detailed, punchy, and its the first time the lowpass filters are noticeable in a dap/ dac bringing smoothness and more detail, depending on the headphone and the filter, I’m truly impressed by that.

but @Kal El @hakunamakaka gentlemen, the most important part that I think we cared the most about:

my iPhone dac gear:
tc28i
Audirect beam2 usb c to usb c cable (its super flexible, that’s why I love it)

THIS DONGLE HAS NO EFi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even in 4.4! D’You know what does that mean? It means the engineer in charge of the project DOES HAVE A CELLPHONE AND DOES WALK OUT OF ITS APARTMENT LIKE WE ALL MORTALS (cause the sparrow, ltp s1, beam 2 engineers didn’t or thought that the devices were meant for indoors in an isolated room only) I took it to the places where efi noise is noticeable in tmy apartment and outside (walked out the dogs for an hour, used the elevator which is an efi source for even my ztella mqa) even got close to my iPad Pro with wifi on, no efi noise, not a single bit, now this is with my gear, however I tested yesterday the same gear with my sparrow and I was even thinking “if I think that this is a really scratched vinyl, it might trick me into thinking that it is normal”

for the price and the quality, having a bunch of dongles, and comparing em all, I can call the l&p w1 the king of dongles, moving the ltp s1 just by a hint, the problem with the s1 it’s the efi, the lack of practical eq’s (the ones from w1 are way more practical, I liked them, though I’m not a eq fan unless it’s utterly necessary (ex1k)

So there we go, that’s as always just my opinion, after 3 years in this hobby I can tell when something is fotm (yes (current single dynamic driver hypers, you ain’t impressing me tbh) something is legit (w1 and ltp s1) and something is just a lost cause...l&p waited and when they shot, it was a straight shot. Right at our hearts =P

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #52 of 5,299
Ok, let’s do this,

talking about the amazing options that this dongle would be doing a review, which I don’t feel capable of doing cause I start talking about stuff and my brain goes everywhere, though it does beat It’s competition, I’m waiting for w2, I would be blown away if it brings better sq, w1 already beats its competition imo, sound is straight forward, detailed, punchy, and its the first time the lowpass filters are noticeable in a dap/ dac bringing smoothness and more detail, depending on the headphone and the filter, I’m truly impressed by that.

but @Kal El @hakunamakaka gentlemen, the most important part that I think we cared the most about:

my iPhone dac gear:
tc28i
Audirect beam2 usb c to usb c cable (its super flexible, that’s why I love it)

THIS DONGLE HAS NO EFi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even in 4.4! D’You know what does that mean? It means the engineer in charge of the project DOES HAVE A CELLPHONE AND DOES WALK OUT OF ITS APARTMENT LIKE WE ALL MORTALS (cause the sparrow, ltp s1, beam 2 engineers didn’t or thought that the devices were meant for indoors in an isolated room only) I took it to the places where efi noise is noticeable in tmy apartment and outside (walked out the dogs for an hour, used the elevator which is an efi source for even my ztella mqa) even got close to my iPad Pro with wifi on, no efi noise, not a single bit, now this is with my gear, however I tested yesterday the same gear with my sparrow and I was even thinking “if I think that this is a really scratched vinyl, it might trick me into thinking that it is normal”

for the price and the quality, having a bunch of dongles, and comparing em all, I can call the l&p w1 the king of dongles, moving the ltp s1 just by a hint, the problem with the s1 it’s the efi, the lack of practical eq’s (the ones from w1 are way more practical, I liked them, though I’m not a eq fan unless it’s utterly necessary (ex1k)

So there we go, that’s as always just my opinion, after 3 years in this hobby I can tell when something is fotm (yes (current single dynamic driver hypers, you ain’t impressing me tbh) something is legit (w1 and ltp s1) and something is just a lost cause...l&p waited and when they shot, it was a straight shot. Right at our hearts =P

Thanks a lot Alexis, without efi it seems that S1 lost it’s top spot. What is still left for me to decide is w1 or w2. I know that measurements differ between those two , but the question is if there are any audible improvements. Let us know once you will get your hands on w2 as well. L&P seems to get positive praise even in asr forum

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #53 of 5,299
Thanks a lot Alexis, without efi it seems that S1 lost it’s top spot. What is still left for me to decide is w1 or w2. I know that measurements differ between those two , but the question is if there are any audible improvements. Let us know once you will get your hands on w2 as well. L&P seems to get positive praise even in asr forum
Just got my ltp on just to double check, there’s a detail about mine: it’s romi modded, however the sound quality from
The w1 still it’s more enjoyable imc

I forgot someone in my list (actually a bunch, but there’s one super important) the 9038s g3 it’s aswell a MONSTER, though I don’t use it as much cause 1) it drains my battery faster 2) I wish I could toy around with the app more but I only have iOS for on the go, the only android devices I have are my cayin n6 II and my works phone which I cannot just take out as “im going to toy around with mg audio gear while people are making orders”

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #54 of 5,299
Just got my ltp on just to double check, there’s a detail about mine: it’s romi modded, however the sound quality from
The w1 still it’s more enjoyable imc

I forgot someone in my list (actually a bunch, but there’s one super important) the 9038s g3 it’s aswell a MONSTER, though I don’t use it as much cause 1) it drains my battery faster 2) I wish I could toy around with the app more but I only have iOS for on the go, the only android devices I have are my cayin n6 II and my works phone which I cannot just take out as “im going to toy around with mg audio gear while people are making orders”

You seem to have huge love for portable dongles. Did romi mode really improved the sound of S1 ? I actually dissembled S1 and in my eyes there is not much that could be done there. 9038 holds ES sabre chip and that's simply a no for me. I know many claim that dacs are transparent, but maybe there are some limits with these chips in a small circuit design. Oppo Ha2 had the least trouble, but the rest of usb sized dongles bright/splashy highs and forward sound. I could see though such dongles having a good match with warmer/less revealing hp/iems. I will wait for more impressions and will fallow this thread :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #56 of 5,299
Around $300 for the W2 is a bit high, What was the improvement again?
The measurement is better but whether this makes significant SQ improvement is unclear.

W2 has not been released yet; hopefully we will get it soon.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 5,299
You seem to have huge love for portable dongles. Did romi mode really improved the sound of S1 ? I actually dissembled S1 and in my eyes there is not much that could be done there. 9038 holds ES sabre chip and that's simply a no for me. I know many claim that dacs are transparent, but maybe there are some limits with these chips in a small circuit design. Oppo Ha2 had the least trouble, but the rest of usb sized dongles bright/splashy highs and forward sound. I could see though such dongles having a good match with warmer/less revealing hp/iems. I will wait for more impressions and will fallow this thread :)
The good thing about 9038 is that you can play with a couple of settings (the 3rd harmonic control allowed me to tame that thrilling timbre that ess is know for, and actually plays quite fair with my iPhone.

The Romi mod did boost a bit the gain, mids became more forward, when plugged to my computer it is a beast, according to him, he disabled a “power management” sort of thing, powering the dac at all times, tbh i want an oem dongle to check the difference but imo mids are the main change, being more forward and the dongle does feel alive, i remember it way more laid back when i just got it, i do love its signature, though w1 has this natural thing that i cannot describe easily, it just feels more natural and more “arranged”

I hear you about the dongle sound; ddhifi tc44b is a perfect example, it doesn’t do anything wrong... but it ain’t polished and a couple of things are out of control. I do think that is more about the power supply that can be fed to a dongle rather than an implementation problem; mainly since my main source for em is my iPhone. Some are doing it better than others, the sparrow for example, sound quality is amazing through the balanced connection, though the guy that designed it never took a walk with it, lotoo same thing, i hope that the luxury and precision dongles make a statement of “ok, this can be better” and someone adventures into new implementation and more research

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #59 of 5,299
Where are you seeing $300 for the W2? Is it actually available for purchase anywhere?

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #60 of 5,299
Where are you seeing $300 for the W2? Is it actually available for purchase anywhere?
It is currently available for pre-order in China for 1880 RMB (292 USD). No pre-ordering available in US or EU yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back