Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 21, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #421 of 1,437
Tested a DSD file (via UAPP) and everything seems normal to me.

May 22, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #423 of 1,437
Hi all,

New to the forums, though I have read plenty on here over the past few years. Just wanted to weigh in as I’m having similar DSD issues.

Got my W4 Saturday. It came with firmware 1.0.0.2. There was slight popping and static with DSD on Roon on iPhone, so I figured it might be a bug and upgraded to new firmware 1.0.0.8. Now DSD over PCM is totally broken through iPhone Roon Remote and ARC as well as the Windows Roon Remote on my PC. Also, since the update, all PCM through Roon is showing as 32 bit, regardless of actual bitrate. Also, confirmed that everything is working normally through the iPhone and PC on PCM and DSD with my Questyle M15 and Topping E70.

I emailed MusicTeck support about this. They responded within a day on the weekend, which I really appreciate. The answer was surprising, though. They said that Roon is not a commonly used software for their players, and they recommended I download another program that people normally use with the L&P DAPs. I don’t know if maybe Roon is less common abroad, but I certainly think that many people who buy this product in the U.S. are going to be planning to use it at least in part with Roon. I definitely can’t fit my DSD library on my phone - hence the dongle and ARC / Roon Remote. I later got a second email from the L&P sales director, who said that the technology team is going to try and reproduce the error and see if it can be corrected through firmware if found.

I definitely appreciate the timely outreach from the company. I’m excited to see what this thing can really do when I’m sure it’s running correctly. I’ll also compare to the M15 and the UA3 once it is reporting bitrates correctly.

Finally, to someone’s question I remember seeing earlier, the interface is quite easy to navigate and responsive. I was surprised, but it is clear that a good deal of design work went into the physical housing.

Now crossing fingers for new firmware! Would be nice if it got a Roon Ready certification as well…

May 22, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #424 of 1,437
Hi all,

New to the forums, though I have read plenty on here over the past few years. Just wanted to weigh in as I’m having similar DSD issues.

Got my W4 Saturday. It came with firmware 1.0.0.2. There was slight popping and static with DSD on Roon on iPhone, so I figured it might be a bug and upgraded to new firmware 1.0.0.8. Now DSD over PCM is totally broken through iPhone Roon Remote and ARC as well as the Windows Roon Remote on my PC. Also, since the update, all PCM through Roon is showing as 32 bit, regardless of actual bitrate. Also, confirmed that everything is working normally through the iPhone and PC on PCM and DSD with my Questyle M15 and Topping E70.

I emailed MusicTeck support about this. They responded within a day on the weekend, which I really appreciate. The answer was surprising, though. They said that Roon is not a commonly used software for their players, and they recommended I download another program that people normally use with the L&P DAPs. I don’t know if maybe Roon is less common abroad, but I certainly think that many people who buy this product in the U.S. are going to be planning to use it at least in part with Roon. I definitely can’t fit my DSD library on my phone - hence the dongle and ARC / Roon Remote. I later got a second email from the L&P sales director, who said that the technology team is going to try and reproduce the error and see if it can be corrected through firmware if found.

I definitely appreciate the timely outreach from the company. I’m excited to see what this thing can really do when I’m sure it’s running correctly. I’ll also compare to the M15 and the UA3 once it is reporting bitrates correctly.

Finally, to someone’s question I remember seeing earlier, the interface is quite easy to navigate and responsive. I was surprised, but it is clear that a good deal of design work went into the physical housing.

Now crossing fingers for new firmware! Would be nice if it got a Roon Ready certification as well…
Can u make comparsion Questyle M15 and W4? Is it big leap from M15 in term of technical ? as i also own M15 and perhaps , interested in W4 .

May 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #425 of 1,437
If you heard/own W2 you know that is a nice dongle, but W4 is at a different level. Better soundstage, more powerful, better instrument separation, deeper bass and all at a much lower power consumption. Since I got mine I have stopped completely using the W2.
Also I am impressed with the build quality and the design. If you decide to upgrade you will be nicely surprised. Some photos with the W2 side by side for size comparison.

Attachments

• 20230522_092559.jpg
    20230522_092559.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230522_092622.jpg
    20230522_092622.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230522_092638.jpg
    20230522_092638.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 22, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #426 of 1,437
I had the chance to try both, the W4 and W4X today and not only compare them to eachother, but also to many other dongles side by side.

W4 vs W4x first: I could in fact hear a little difference in tonality. To my ears W4 seems to have a bit punchier bass response and a tiny bit more pronounced treble sparkle, while W4x sounds slightly flatter or even a tad more pronounced in the mids (might be just the perception because bass is not stealing the show here).
Not sure if one could really call it “better or worse” though, it’s just slightly different and some folks might prefer one over the other, also dependent on music style.
Both sound great, no question, but to be perfectly honest, me personally, I did not find them "so much better" compared to other dongles as some people write here (no offence!).
At least I definitely don`t think the SQ alone is really worth the big price difference!
For example, I did not feel the W4 sounds truly "better" than the M15 (again: that is just my personal opinion!). They again just have a different tonality...the M15 is even punchier in the bass while having a similar resolution to my ears. And even the Dunu DTC-500 sounds surprisingly nice in direct comparison... I would even call it the most "engaging" one out of the bunch, while being a lot cheaper than the rest!

Build quality, design, usability and efficiency is another story, though, and here I must say: The W4 and W4X are absolutely fascinating devices! They are so nice to touch, to use and if marketing is not lying they also eat up a lot less of your phone` battery life....and as a product design fan I could imagine to pay the expensive price just for that. Not sure if I will though.
Hmmmm...... :)

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #427 of 1,437
even if you didn't mean to... you destroyed them... lol

May 22, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #428 of 1,437
May 22, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #429 of 1,437
Haha, not sure what you mean? :sweat_smile:
Practically you wrote that they sound more or less like the other dongles... and that they are so beautiful the 500 euros they cost are justified, even if they were two lighters... right?

May 22, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #430 of 1,437
Practically you wrote that they sound more or less like the other dongles... and that they are so beautiful the 500 euros they cost are justified, even if they were two lighters... right?
Hahaha...well, it`s just a question of the point of view.
Generally it`s not rare in our hobby that people are willing to pay crazy amounts of money for just tiny differences.
In this case, the price jump compared to former offers is rather high, while the increase in sound quality - in my personal opinion - is rather low.
But we had that before, many times actually (just see the explosion of earphone prices in the last years)...and you will also always have people who see this with other eyes than I do! So just another day in the life of audiophiles! :L3000:

Still, no mistake, the W4 and W4X are really great sounding devices. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #431 of 1,437
In this case, the price jump compared to former offers is rather high, while the difference in sound - in my personal opinion - is rather low.
For many, it just blows the roof off because of the novelty, and not because the device is really much better)))
therefore, everyone should try and compare personally, but still few people are ready to say that the device is not worth their money after they bought it.

May 22, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #432 of 1,437
Before throwing myself into the purchase of the W4, I made various considerations (necessary for me when spending more than 500 euros) including the fact that my beloved W1 is (after many years and many euros) at a 10% difference from the new released. In summary, the W1 is 5% from the W2 which is in turn 5% behind the W4 (personal opinion extrapolated from your discussions). So I decided to spend almost 200 euros less than the W4 alone and buy two dongles with completely different audio signatures, a RU6 and a DC04PRO. Having more sound signatures to choose from is worth more to me than having the "definitive" object already knowing that there is practically nothing definitive in audiophilia.

May 22, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #433 of 1,437
Before throwing myself into the purchase of the W4, I made various considerations (necessary for me when spending more than 500 euros) including the fact that my beloved W1 is (after many years and many euros) at a 10% difference from the new released. In summary, the W1 is 5% from the W2 which is in turn 5% behind the W4 (personal opinion extrapolated from your discussions). So I decided to spend almost 200 euros less than the W4 alone and buy two dongles with completely different audio signatures, a RU6 and a DC04PRO. Having more sound signatures to choose from is worth more to me than having the "definitive" object already knowing that there is practically nothing definitive in audiophilia.
I can definitely understand this point of view! :beerchug:

May 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #434 of 1,437
By the way, I once more thought about what you wrote. I think I did not say I would buy them if they were lighters! :sweat_smile: I am open to buy more good sounding audio devices (like most of us). Just I feel that I would definitely not spend the extra costs if the W4 looked exactly the same as the W2, because, again, SQ has not improved that much. But the much better product design (meaning not just looks but also usability and haptics) might let me think about it...even I know it`s still way too expensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back