Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #39,361 of 48,562
no girl is more dangerous to your man than MLE

That's an awesome reputation

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #39,362 of 48,562
But honestly, all this gaming stuff is made so beautifull and when I'm looking at it I really want to by it just because it looks unusuall and cool:))

Great site, thanks, I looked for k712 on ebay and really there is one new for $270 left.
I live in Russia, our prices often are unreal:) for example, newbalance sneakers costs here $250+ while I bought in Germany with DHL delivery for $150 :)

It's strange but I'm satisfied with bass on ad700, I don't like when bass booms in my ears and my head goes round of it:frowning2: I liked bass in Sony mdr-1a it was lite and nice) As I see in Creative's drivers for AE-5 there is separate regulator for bass so I can a little bit boost it:)

The reason why I asked about DT 990 is that it costs $130 used, k612 pro costs $120 used and both k702 and ad900x cost $160 used.....With this prices do k712 really worth spending extra $70-100 ?
HD595 taught me the expensive way to look for other things in design than fashionable look:
Last millennium design HD590 with "old boring" matt black plastic and standard two sided ear cup attaching survived decade without really any signs of use.
Shiny fashion plastics of HD595 started cracking in 2½ years precisely this way:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-598-starting-to-crack.534963/page-3#post-7328331
Easy to see from those pics that design creates and focuses stresses to that part.
While not so fashionable looking Beyer's design actually has big advantage if ever needing microphone for online gaming:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

Ear's relative sensitivity to bass (and treble) increases with rising sound pressure.
So at higher volume weak bass headphones like AD700 might feel like having some bass.
It would be very easy to unknowingly increase volume according to perceived bass.

Anyway this site has graphs also for MDR-1, but not for DT990, though it would have very similar bass to K712:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1R.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf
MDR-1 has for closed can rather neutral bass, but closed design likely gives it more feel/"punch" than in open headphone.

Really weird to have that much higher price extra in one model unless all prices are elevated
DT990 Pro meant for studio use with coiled cable and some more head band clamping force is actually really cheap for quality even as new. (~130€)
Normal DT990 "Edition/Premium" with straight 3m long cable costs ~200€
K701/702 are in between. (702 more with detachable cable)

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #39,363 of 48,562
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #39,364 of 48,562
HD595 taught me the expensive way to look for other things in design than fashionable look:
Last millennium design HD590 with "old boring" matt black plastic and standard two sided ear cup attaching survived decade without really any signs of use.
Shiny fashion plastics of HD595 started cracking in 2½ years precisely this way:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-598-starting-to-crack.534963/page-3#post-7328331

Wow look horrible... I guess i should say "no" to Sennheiser with my gaming:frowning2:

Ear's relative sensitivity to bass (and treble) increases with rising sound pressure.
So at higher volume weak bass headphones like AD700 might feel like having some bass.
It would be very easy to unknowingly increase volume according to perceived bass.

Anyway this site has graphs also for MDR-1, but not for DT990, though it would have very similar bass to K712:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1R.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf
MDR-1 has for closed can rather neutral bass, but closed design likely gives it more feel/"punch" than in open headphone.

Which of theese headphones have better sound quality, soundstage and positioning then ad700s?

Really weird to have that much higher price extra in one model unless all prices are elevated
DT990 Pro meant for studio use with coiled cable and some more head band clamping force is actually really cheap for quality even as new. (~130€)
Normal DT990 "Edition/Premium" with straight 3m long cable costs ~200€
K701/702 are in between. (702 more with detachable cable)

Yes it's weird, I don't understand those guys))) Crazy russians))) I found one internet-store in my city, not audio, that has k712 new for $280 that's not bad)

As I understand we don't have DT990 Premium, only Pros....

According to price, for example, I have ad700, I need headphones with better quality (soundstage, positioning etc). Will it be q701 \ dt990 \ dt880 \ k612 pro? How much better soundstage will k712 pro have against q701\dt990\dt880\k612?

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #39,365 of 48,562
Which of theese headphones have better sound quality, soundstage and positioning then ad700s?

According to price, for example, I have ad700, I need headphones with better quality (soundstage, positioning etc). Will it be q701 \ dt990 \ dt880 \ k612 pro? How much better soundstage will k712 pro have against q701\dt990\dt880\k612?
From purely competitive point there shouldn't be anything better than AD700, with its total lack of "distractions" from details.
While Sennheiser HD595 has clearly more (especially lower) bass than AD700 even that is still neutral and lacking in "fun factor", so would expect this MLE's line to describe AD700 perfectly:
They are really bass light. That is their biggest issue. Bass is so light, it sounds like a tin can attempting to sound like a subwoofer. Just no bass

So question would really about improving that fun factor/immersion and getting better balance between it and competitiveness.
K712 sure sounds good for that.

Soundstage: Rating: Excellent
...The K712's soundstage is spacious, and excels particularly in width. The soundstage is dimensional, holographic, and layered. The K612 Pro didn't have the same dimensionality and layering in direct comparison, despite it's large size.
Positioning: Rating: Excellent
A large soundstage, generally linear balance, and great detail is a recipe for success. The K712 excels in positional cues, much like the standard 7xx line, but with more body, and fullness. One can argue that it won't be as masterful for competitive gaming focus due to the standard 7xx model's tilt towards analyzing and detail-retrieval, but the K712 doesn't give up much in the way of those things, and adds in extra immersion.

Just looks like can't do side by side comparison between it and DT990 until next week.
Incidentally also found used K702 for 100€ so might try to get those for neutral bass reference point considering "tape holding pieces" HD595s feel like they could "disintegrate" further if actually using them.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #39,366 of 48,562
So question would really about improving that fun factor/immersion and getting better balance between it and competitiveness.
K712 sure sounds good for that.

well I actuall don't know if I'm ready to spend $250 for headphones that are equal to mine)))

Also I've talked to guys who sell used k712 in my country for $330, they say that their headphones are made in Slovenia and new ones for $260 are made in China. That's the main reason of highprice.

Just looks like can't do side by side comparison between it and DT990 until next week.
Incidentally also found used K702 for 100€ so might try to get those for neutral bass reference point considering "tape holding pieces" HD595s feel like they could "disintegrate" further if actually using them.

I'm eagerly waitting for your comparison:)

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #39,367 of 48,562
So I have finally chosen the Surplux HD681B for Xbox one FpS gaming such as Call of duty etc.
What I want now is to get the best audio using my Xbox One with these headsets. I have looked at DAC, AMPs etc, which will be best.. I the best for hearing those footsteps and bullet directions etc...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #39,368 of 48,562
I just bought the Xbox One X and I like Dolby Atmos headphones, Tomb Raider sounds great. I’m using AD700x. What DAC would be good for better sound quality than the audio out of the controller.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #39,369 of 48,562
I just bought the Xbox One X and I like Dolby Atmos headphones, Tomb Raider sounds great. I’m using AD700x. What DAC would be good for better sound quality than the audio out of the controller.
Sorry if this has been asked before.
Literally every DAC

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #39,370 of 48,562
What is your guy's opinion on in-ear's vs. headphones for gaming?

I feel like an in-ear with a decent soundstage could be a more immersive experience? Never have really tried gaming with in-ears though.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #39,371 of 48,562
IEMs can be very good for gaming as the isolation is top notch. I tried the InEar Prophile 8 and it was pretty good. A little congested but not bad. I'll have Andromeda to try in a few days.

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #39,372 of 48,562
What is your guy's opinion on in-ear's vs. headphones for gaming?

I feel like an in-ear with a decent soundstage could be a more immersive experience? Never have really tried gaming with in-ears though.

I tried my Pinnacle Px (Massdrop P1's) and they sounded great other than for surround purposes. They have a great soundstage and decent imaging but the positioning did not translate. In a week or so when my Andromedas arrive I plan on trying them out also. I have an HD800S to compare them to.

As far as virtual surround goes, my hunch is these generic VSS algorithms that we use for surround are not tuned to having the sound directly in your ear canal.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #39,374 of 48,562
I had a Creative G5 for PS4 use but this doesn't support Xbox Voice Chat - is there any DAC/AMP (other than Mixamp) that offers simple Xbox compatibility for chat also? I'm using the setup in the lounge so a mass of adapters/cables is not ideal?
No. Blame Microsoft fir that. They require usb audio devices to have a $35 authentication chip built in.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #39,375 of 48,562
Dolby Atmos is 20% off right now. It's $12 instead of $15. Bought my license on sale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back