Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #39,391 of 48,562
No. Blame Microsoft fir that. They require usb audio devices to have a $35 authentication chip built in.

So would it even be worth me getting a Mixamp TR to run in stereo mode (using Windows Sonic/Atmos on Xbox)? Only using headphones like the Game One or SHP9500/AD700x maybe but would the Mixamp improve audio compared to the controller jack route?

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #39,392 of 48,562
So would it even be worth me getting a Mixamp TR to run in stereo mode (using Windows Sonic/Atmos on Xbox)? Only using headphones like the Game One or SHP9500/AD700x maybe but would the Mixamp improve audio compared to the controller jack route?
Seems like a bit of a waste if you're not going to use headphone virtualization built into the Mixamp but then again, there aren't many USB headsets for Xbox anyway.

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #39,393 of 48,562
Seems like a bit of a waste if you're not going to use headphone virtualization built into the Mixamp but then again, there aren't many USB headsets for Xbox anyway.

Yea. That was my concern but its the only one box solution really for the Xbox. If only the G5 worked for chat on the Xbox like it does PS4.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #39,394 of 48,562
Reading about audio dac amp preamps. Read that Optical is max 5.1 channels and HDMI can perform far better such as 7.1 so would this be an option

HDCVT HDV-MB01 HDMI 2.0 to HDMI with Audio (HDMI 18Gbps extractor with HDCP2.2

So my Superlux HD668B connected to the hdmi audio extrator above this extractor via hdmi in is connected to the xbox one hdmi port on the hdmi out the other end of the extractor hdmi out goes to the tv

Thoughts has anyone used this extractor

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #39,396 of 48,562
First impression with the 1More Spearhead through USB is quite positive. Volume knob doubles as a bass eq when pressed in (toggles between volume and bass volume). Haven't tested what region of bass it affects yet (update: 30hz slider is affected in EQ), you can definitely get from super competitive no bass, to overwhelming bloatedness. Somewhere in between sounds excellent, with the rest sound being crisp/even.

edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, and noticed that I'm supposed to right click to open up other sections in the software. There is a lot there. I was on an EQ. I'll have to retest lol. Also noticed I was messing specifically with 30hz range of bass with the bass adjusting on the headset. That's good. Better 30hz than 60hz.

I ordered a TRRS into mic/audio splitter, so I'll be able to test it as is with my X7 (which disables the volume knob/bass buttons on the headset).

This is just short first impression with music.

Sound quality is absolutely agreeable and on the right side of things, so no dud here. :)

I'm relieved as I came into it expecting muddy/veiled. Thank goodness it surprised me in a very good way, lol.

It also sounds quite open!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #39,397 of 48,562
As far as I can tell, toggling the bass button automatically turns on the equalizer. There are a bunch of presets, and of course you can manually adjust in the software, with 30hz being the range you can adjust in the headset directly. Their 'default' eq preset is slightly v shaped (with the peak in the curve being all the way up at 16hz, lending to more air, and not piercing sharpness) and easily the best of the bunch, and I feel how the headset sounds its best. If you turn it off, the headset is relatively tame/well balanced, but not as dynamic. I think the eq used is great and I wouldn't even stray from it. For the sake of the review I'll test out non-eq as well though.

I also think the headset ships with that default EQ on, so it's the way I think 1more wants the headset to be gauged by as the real default, so I'll note that. I think it's the correct choice.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #39,400 of 48,562
Today fetched from post used AKG K702 I manaded to get for 105€ and that "detail whoring" sure describes them.
You have to specifically listen for bass, but foot steps and such come "loud and clear".
With foot steps etc being already emphasized by CMSS-3D those simply come with inhuman sharpness.
SBX Pro Surround sounds more natural.

And comfort is definitely very good beating my "tape holding pieces from falling" HD595. (which can now rot all they want)
Also would have to pretty much Dumbo for ears to not fit inside these pads.

So for someone looking for maximum competitiviness K701/702 should definitely be in top priority position.
Even new ones cost less than quite few gaming junks.

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #39,401 of 48,562
Hello guys,

Just registered to thank you for all the hard work you have put towards this thread, specially MLE. You guys have helped me SO MUCH, but I feel I still need some advice.

Back in 2012, I built my first computer and I got a Soundblaster Recon3D PCIe. I also bought an Astro A40 with the Mixamp (Pro I think). This setup is still in place until I decided to look for a replacement few weeks ago, wondering if there was something better out there for my needs, PC gaming and some music. I decided to upgrade the Astro A40 and purchased the Astro A50. Both my wife and I were super disappointed with them, in our opinion they did not sound better than the A40 and they were more uncomfortable.

Decided to return the A50s and started looking for "best gaming headset...", terrible mistake. All "gaming" gear we bought sounded bad and the build quality was terrible, so we ended up returning everything. Then I found this post and started researching. It was decided, we wanted an all rounder, fun, open headphone and we would do either the vmoda or the mod mic. I could not decide between the Fidelio X2 and the AKG k712 Pro, so I bought both and will sell the one we don't want to keep (or maybe keep both, who knows). So far I have received the AKG k712 and I was very impressed, although I would prefer a little bit more of bass (fun). I'm still waiting on the X2s.

Now, the surround factor. I've always wanted good surround headphones and feel immersed in the games with 360 sound. The Astro A40 had Surround sound but I found it terribly disappointing. It was not realistic and sounded metallic. I almost give up until I read about the Sennheiser GSX 1000. I purchased it and the binaural surround sound is pretty impressive but I wonder is there is anything better out there?

I have a problem with the new AKG k712/X2 + GSX 1000 setup though. My wife and I sometimes watch each other game and want to hear the game audio. With my previous setup, I used the Soundblaster Recon3D to send audio to my speakers and play simultaneously the stereo mix to optical, which was connected to the Mixamp. I could wear headphones and she listen through speakers, or viceversa. Now I don't know how to accomplish this with the new equipment. The GSX 1000 is USB and I'm not using the Recon3D anymore to send the signal to two different places. What can I do? Sometimes we want to play single player games and we both want to wear headphones to feel immersed. Is that feasible?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #39,402 of 48,562
I could not decide between the Fidelio X2 and the AKG k712 Pro, so I bought both and will sell the one we don't want to keep (or maybe keep both, who knows). So far I have received the AKG k712 and I was very impressed, although I would prefer a little bit more of bass (fun).

Now, the surround factor. I've always wanted good surround headphones and feel immersed in the games with 360 sound. The Astro A40 had Surround sound but I found it terribly disappointing. It was not realistic and sounded metallic. I almost give up until I read about the Sennheiser GSX 1000. I purchased it and the binaural surround sound is pretty impressive but I wonder is there is anything better out there?

I have a problem with the new AKG k712/X2 + GSX 1000 setup though. My wife and I sometimes watch each other game and want to hear the game audio. With my previous setup, I used the Soundblaster Recon3D to send audio to my speakers and play simultaneously the stereo mix to optical, which was connected to the Mixamp. I could wear headphones and she listen through speakers, or viceversa. Now I don't know how to accomplish this with the new equipment. The GSX 1000 is USB and I'm not using the Recon3D anymore to send the signal to two different places. What can I do? Sometimes we want to play single player games and we both want to wear headphones to feel immersed. Is that feasible?
Anything more than that level of bass starts to seriously kill details.
Cheap closed garbage just often use strong bass to hide lack of sound quality...
That along with closed design's soundstage challenges/problems makes "gaming" stuff usually from mediocre to very bad for gaming.
Just listen these in stereo mode without effects with those quality headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT990 might have slightly more feel of bass than K712 basing to rating in starting post.
Should find that out in next week with K712 now in its way to post office.
Though if DT990 really has more (fun) feel in bass than K712 would expect K712 to win in details.
Anyway frequency responses are very similar:
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=4163&graphID[1]=2141&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

While having good binaural simulation otherwise Sennheiser GSX is full snake oil overpriced, lackluster, gaming product marketing scam.
Its DAC and headphone output struggle to match cheap ass Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX. (just look for price of them)
And like you noticed doesn't even have connectivity that luxury price should give.
Lot cheaper Sound BlasterX G5 has way more connections.
SB E5 has even two headphone jacks... While it would likely require similar headphones it could surely feed some active speakers.
And still lot cheaper internal Sound Blaster Z with better DAC and output includes optical out for stereo PCM output. (+ AC3/DD or DTS encoded 5.1)
(while new Sound BlasterX AE-5 has very beefy headphone output for sound card)
Sennheiser must be laughing their ass off while igniting cigars with bank notes when counting profits from GSX sales...

Myself not having speakers solved the problem for getting sound also to friend four years ago by warming up ("long" 15 seconds) my soldering station and starting to assemble two Objective2 DIY kits.
DT990 and K712 should make nice similar sound pair for that...

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #39,403 of 48,562
Anything more than that level of bass starts to seriously kill details.
Cheap closed garbage just often use strong bass to hide lack of sound quality...
That along with closed design's soundstage challenges/problems makes "gaming" stuff usually from mediocre to very bad for gaming.
Just listen these in stereo mode without effects with those quality headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT990 might have slightly more feel of bass than K712 basing to rating in starting post.
Should find that out in next week with K712 now in its way to post office.
Though if DT990 really has more (fun) feel in bass than K712 would expect K712 to win in details.
Anyway frequency responses are very similar:
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=4163&graphID[1]=2141&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

While having good binaural simulation otherwise Sennheiser GSX is full snake oil overpriced, lackluster, gaming product marketing scam.
Its DAC and headphone output struggle to match cheap ass Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX. (just look for price of them)
And like you noticed doesn't even have connectivity that luxury price should give.
Lot cheaper Sound BlasterX G5 has way more connections.
SB E5 has even two headphone jacks... While it would likely require similar headphones it could surely feed some active speakers.
And still lot cheaper internal Sound Blaster Z with better DAC and output includes optical out for stereo PCM output. (+ AC3/DD or DTS encoded 5.1)
(while new Sound BlasterX AE-5 has very beefy headphone output for sound card)
Sennheiser must be laughing their ass off while igniting cigars with bank notes when counting profits from GSX sales...

Myself not having speakers solved the problem for getting sound also to friend four years ago by warming up ("long" 15 seconds) my soldering station and starting to assemble two Objective2 DIY kits.
DT990 and K712 should make nice similar sound pair for that...

Thank you EsaT. I've received the X2's and after comparing them, I'm keeping them vs the AKG k712 Pro. In case it helps somebody, these are my reasons:

1- Lower impedance, easier to drive and use with cell phones, PS4, etc.
2- Compatible with the V-Moda BoomMic due to standard 3.5 jack. I really want a single cable for both audio and mic.
3- Stronger bass than the k712 Pro's out of the box, without compromising details.
3- Comfort. This point will make no sense to some people, but here we go. AKG k712 Pro are lighter and more comfortable overall, however my ears touch the inside side of the pads and I don't like the feeling at all. Wife has tiny ears and it also happens to her, although she did not realize it until I mentioned it. Also the X2's campling force is stronger and they feel better positioned in my head. Both headphones are super comfortable, don't get me wrong.

Now that the headphone + mic setup has been decided, I just need to evaluate other options vs GSX 1000.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #39,404 of 48,562
I hope everyone is doing well. I came into a dillemma. My headphones cable is beginning to go bad(also an excuse to get a better cable deep down) Its the akg k7xx headphones. The cable that i need is a female mini xlr to 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm male connection.

I spent hours everywhere from amazon to ebay to google trying to find good and proper ones, but all seem to be too cheaply built or have a give and take. Ex: looks good but fragile, or durable but poor sound quality ect. Im at my wits end :frowning2:

Do you guys have any recommendations for the best but affordable cable for these cans and my setup? Creative x7 LE is my sound device.

Ideally under 100 dollars for the cables, ill consider all options tho, im open to all opinions and options. I also get confused with the mini xlr cables that are balanced and unbalanced for video or for microphone ect. I think my cans are balanced from what ive researched.

Thanks in advanced for your help/insight.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #39,405 of 48,562
I hope everyone is doing well. I came into a dillemma. My headphones cable is beginning to go bad(also an excuse to get a better cable deep down) Its the akg k7xx headphones. The cable that i need is a female mini xlr to 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm male connection.

I spent hours everywhere from amazon to ebay to google trying to find good and proper ones, but all seem to be too cheaply built or have a give and take. Ex: looks good but fragile, or durable but poor sound quality ect. Im at my wits end :frowning2:

Do you guys have any recommendations for the best but affordable cable for these cans and my setup? Creative x7 LE is my sound device.

Ideally under 100 dollars for the cables, ill consider all options tho, im open to all opinions and options. I also get confused with the mini xlr cables that are balanced and unbalanced for video or for microphone ect. I think my cans are balanced from what ive researched.

Thanks in advanced for your help/insight.
Depends on your definition of affordable but Forza Audioworks makes great cables and their Color series start at $35.

EDIT: Screw the Color series, go for the Claire series it's their best looking one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back