Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #27,931 of 48,574
Tweeters, and the AD700... :p

Still very much in love with the x2. Just a wonderfully neutral headphone with some grunt in the bass that still keeps it neutrally toned. Think, better balanced DT880. Yeah.

So i don't agree with the Annie/7XX doing EVERYTHING better, as the AKGs have a warmer tilt to them, with that upper mid peak that a lot of people don't particularly care for. It will still put off some people. I don't see the X2 putting off anyone, unless they just don't want a neutrally toned headphone.

Keep in mind, I still think the AKGs are overall a better headphone in terms of technicalities. However, just as some people prefer the 612 over the 70X and 712, the X2 can be favorable over those AKgs for some people. Me, it's neck to neck on preference. I love both the Annie and X2. Would be hard to pick out a clear winner. I'd probably edge it out to the Annie due to my preference of intimacy/warmth, where the X2 is decidedly more neutral, and not as warm. Not warm, not bright, neutral. Even more neutral sounding than the 612 despite the better sense of bass (which I didn't think was possible, as the 612 has very balanced bass). The upper mid bump on the AKGs is just always a factor here.

We live in an amazing age of headphones, with so many fantastic options for your money. To say that two very new headphones already have my top recommendations says a lot. The X2 and 7XX (aka Annie part deux) are two headphones that I can't see many people being upset about unless you have a clear preference for something flavored a bit differently.

Of course, I have to address the price/availability. For $200, the tides are heavily swayed towards the 7XX over the X2, which is $100 more, and at the most, on a comparable level in most regards, and at a disadvantage in any other. So you're getting at LEAST a comparable if not superior headphone with the 7XX over the X2. That being said, the 7XX is going to be severely limited for now, and the alternative is the Annie/712s which are both at least as expensive as the X2, if not more so. Also, the X2 is undoubtedly going to be discounted quite a bit next year, as Philips headphones always do, further putting the X2 in the 7XX price range, making the choice between them hard again if you find both appealing like I do.

The main benefits once you put them on the same level, is that the X2 is quite a bit easier to drive, as well as having instant V-moda boompro compatibility (which were my main reasons why I didn't hold out for the 7XX).

One final thing to say: I feel the X2 is definitely superior to the 612 overall. Both are neutral headphones, while the 612 has some things about it's sound that will put off some people, it being considerably harder to power, losing comfort points, and lack of Boompro compatibilty. though of course, price is a factor, and the 612 is nearly half the price, so if price is a factor... 612 clearly wins.

So my personal opinion on tier list between these headphones, price be damned:

1. Annie = 7XX
2. K712 = X2 (just very, very slightly behind the #1 spot)
3. 612 = X1 = MA900

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #27,932 of 48,574
Can anyone confirm that the x7 works with a Mic and the ps4? Maybe I missed this somewhere....

Plug it via USB or Bluetooth (x7 can work as a bluetooth headset)

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #27,933 of 48,574
Is there now a mixamp alternative in the same price range? The mixamp 2013 and Mixamp gen 2 are having chat issues on the xbox one, very muffled and static-y.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #27,934 of 48,574
Anyone experiencing driver rattle on their new K7XX's? Just curious as many people are claiming this on the mass drop forum.

Also do u think Akg will do another drop? There seems to be enough interest for it on mass drop.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #27,935 of 48,574
My K7XX has finally arrived. Man, I almost forgot how wonderful the K7** series sounds. I am reminded at how the latter models do pretty much everything very well, similar to the X2, but... better!

If one were to choose between the X2 and K7XX/K702 AE/K712 for an all-rounder, the AKGs win... hands down.

The recent Massdrop sale on the K7XX has to be the steal of the year, imho.

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I very much prefer the K7XX to the X2 as well. The K7XX just sounds so natural and warm while providing an excellent soundstage, imaging and separation.

I felt the X2 was a bit claustrophobic and a little boomy.

With the X2 I just didn't get the sense of space that I get with the K7XX.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #27,937 of 48,574
Anyone experiencing driver rattle on their new K7XX's? Just curious as many people are claiming this on the mass drop forum.

Also do u think Akg will do another drop? There seems to be enough interest for it on mass drop.

What number did you get?

I have not tried mine yet but Im scared now
frown.gif

As of right now (keep in mind I just got mine too and have barely been burned in), there is no rattle on mine. I think there might be a bias because out of 2000, say 10 have rattle, then all of those 10 people will be (rightfully) complaining about the rattle, but you won't hear the other 1990 people because they are happily enjoying their rattle-free headphones. My number is around 1300. 

My 2 cents.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #27,939 of 48,574
My 3 AKGs never rattled. For long-term care, make sure you pick off and stray hairs from the driver cover... I've read that sometimes causes rattle.

I usually do since hairs on the cover...... drive me crazy hehehe

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #27,940 of 48,574

As of right now (keep in mind I just got mine too and have barely been burned in), there is no rattle on mine. I think there might be a bias because out of 2000, say 10 have rattle, then all of those 10 people will be (rightfully) complaining about the rattle, but you won't hear the other 1990 people because they are happily enjoying their rattle-free headphones. My number is around 1300. 

My 2 cents.

I actually received two pairs of these and both have rattle in the right driver. One was serial number in the 500s and the other in the 800s. Although one was worse than the other.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #27,944 of 48,574
Has anyone tried these as a mixamp alternative?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/upgrade-kits-accessories/ear-force-seven-mobile-to-console-upgrade-kit/404

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #27,945 of 48,574
  Has anyone tried these as a mixamp alternative?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/upgrade-kits-accessories/ear-force-seven-mobile-to-console-upgrade-kit/404

It looks like this will only work with other turtle beach headsets as it has mini din output connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back