Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #48,288 of 48,572
Ryan is a swell guy. I'm gonna clutch my Redscape as long as possible.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #48,290 of 48,572
Any recommendations on high-end end game level immersive, cinematic experience headphones? Things for non-competitive games like RPGs and action games like Final Fantasy, Nier, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, etc. I'm thinking sub $3kish including the used market. HD800/S (but lacks "cinematic bass") and Arya Stealth are two of the most recommended cans I've gotten responses on. I've seen some good used deals on HEKV2s.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #48,291 of 48,572
Any recommendations on high-end end game level immersive, cinematic experience headphones? Things for non-competitive games like RPGs and action games like Final Fantasy, Nier, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, etc. I'm thinking sub $3kish including the used market. HD800/S (but lacks "cinematic bass") and Arya Stealth are two of the most recommended cans I've gotten responses on. I've seen some good used deals on HEKV2s.

A few options (other than the two you listed) that are sub or around $3k depending on how high you want to go:

Fostex TH-900 or TH-909 (awesome for gaming, especially if you want to feel the impact of explosions)
Denon AHD-9200
ZMF Verite Closed (a bit less bass than the TH-900, but bigger soundstage and better imaging)
ZMF Atrium (open back, great bass)
Dan Clark Audio Stealth or Expanse (but only if you have a good DAC and amplifier to power them well) - plus if you want to go sub $3k, you'll need to buy them used
Kennerton Rognir - if you can get it used
Meze LIRIC or 109 Pro
Final D8000 Pro (used)

Feb 23, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #48,292 of 48,572
Surround - will expand the stereo image into a sort of virtual surround, like the G6's SBX surround did, though I think it's a far inferior version (with no real rear positional cues), and I recommend you use SXFI over this setting. Almost as if this setting isn't taking 7.1 into account, only stereo. Creative, please fix this. SBX was a much better Surround implementation.

GC7's Surround function:

This is what I feel is actually the most disappointing aspect of the GC7. Well, aside from the lack of SXFI passthrough, which I'll rant about later. For a built in surround, I've used a few different ones that were once used for Creative products. CMSS-3D, THX TruStudio, SBX, SXFI, and...whatever the Surround function is here.

This is simply their worst iteration of internal surround, and I'm wondering if it's actually messed up. Creative is usually really good with their virtual surround implementations, but this version... this doesn't even give proper rear positional cues. If it can't do that, I don't want it. The other disappointing aspect is that it's the only surround on the device that can be transferred through the analog and digital outputs. Thankfully, it shares its space on the GC7 with two much, much better modes.
Did Creative ever fix the missing rear positional cues on the GC7 ? Is it on par with the G6's SBX Surround now ?

Feb 23, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #48,293 of 48,572
Did Creative ever fix the missing rear positional cues on the GC7 ? Is it on par with the G6's SBX Surround now ?
Hmm, good question. I really don't know I haven't used the GC7 in a long time. Creative is pretty good at fixing things like this, but my contact at Creative left, and haven't had communication with them ever since.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #48,294 of 48,572
A few options (other than the two you listed) that are sub or around $3k depending on how high you want to go:

Fostex TH-900 or TH-909 (awesome for gaming, especially if you want to feel the impact of explosions)
Denon AHD-9200
ZMF Verite Closed (a bit less bass than the TH-900, but bigger soundstage and better imaging)
ZMF Atrium (open back, great bass)
Dan Clark Audio Stealth or Expanse (but only if you have a good DAC and amplifier to power them well) - plus if you want to go sub $3k, you'll need to buy them used
Kennerton Rognir - if you can get it used
Meze LIRIC or 109 Pro
Final D8000 Pro (used)
I am super interested in the TH-909s, but no place to try any of these out anywhere near me. I'm worried it'd lose definition for more nuanced details like my X2HRs and modded HE-R9s are - great bassey cans but a tad bit muddy.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #48,295 of 48,572
I know hurr durr I work for Audeze, but man don't dismiss the LCD-X for those purposes as well. They're my fave LCD of our entire line, and are quality immersive headphones in their own right. If I could review these, they'd rate very high on those fronts. But conflict of interest and all, so I can't.

LCD-X is the truth.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #48,296 of 48,572
I know hurr durr I work for Audeze, but man don't dismiss the LCD-X for those purposes as well. They're my fave LCD of our entire line, and are quality immersive headphones in their own right. If I could review these, they'd rate very high on those fronts. But conflict of interest and all, so I can't.

LCD-X is the truth.
Lol I am wearing LCD-X right now. They're just so damn heavy. But, yeah I love them.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #48,297 of 48,572

LCD-X is the truth.
What's the difference between LCD-X and LCD-GX besides "gamer" branding and the mic?

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #48,298 of 48,572
What's the difference between LCD-X and LCD-GX besides "gamer" branding and the mic?
GX is a bit more tuned for competitive gaming to my ears. The X is more punchy and impactful in comparison. GX is considerably lighter though uses the magnesium body found on the more expensive LCDs, and to some people the tuning is a bit more balanced. I feel the X is more musical of the two. More dynamic and engaging. They're really quite different to me. The X is far and away my fave LCD. The GX is awesome as a gaming headphone, but the X is a tier above it for other aspects, IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back