Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,066 of 1,442
If anyone is interested. I have a spare Tung-sol 6C8G , with an adapter that I'll part with. $35 shipped and fees. Shoot me a pm if interested. Also have a 50's 6N3P Foton triple mica(best 5670/396a variant hands down) with an adapter. This tube is extremely hard to find. $30 shipped and fees if interested as well.

Cheers!

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,067 of 1,442
Well that's a different problem indeed - definitely worth keeping it in mind elsewhere - novel solution - who would expect that!

The TS 6c8g does take quite a few hours to 'come good' altho not at all bad straight away - the detail will improve and the bass will cleanup a lot.

Could you send me a PM where you got the TS tube from, as I'm looking for a spare and they've already shot up in price.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #1,068 of 1,442
Interesting post. To say the least. Cheers
Well that's a different problem indeed - definitely worth keeping it in mind elsewhere - novel solution - who would expect that!

The TS 6c8g does take quite a few hours to 'come good' altho not at all bad straight away - the detail will improve and the bass will cleanup a lot.

Could you send me a PM where you got the TS tube from, as I'm looking for a spare and they've already shot up in price.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #1,069 of 1,442
I was just messaged by another member with some questions as to my experience with that LPS I linked so I figured I'd answer them here. First of all is the size comparisons. I have the LPS on the left next to my CTH and Mytek Liberty DAC.
(Please excuse my egregious lack of cable management lol)
Very comparable in size and design, they all go together well. In regards to changes in sound, I heard it immidiately. No need to A/B back and forth. I have a number of test tracks that I listen to when ever I make component changes, always the same songs so I have a base line to compare. The #1 thing that hit my ears was a marked change in energy and speed. My HD600's just came alive. Now I'm very sensitive to changes in soundstage and imaging. Constriction or dampening of that aspect is probably my number one reason for rejecting components in my system. There were no changes on that front, which to me is a great thing. Possibly better definition of instruments in space if you really pressed me but nothing that is overwhelming. I was just pleased that nothing was detracted. I'm very happy over all and at like $120 shipped to my door (really fast too, I was surprised) it was a worthwile experiment. I think I'm going to order another for my Mytek! Now there are a few sellers on Ebay that are using the same pictures and description, I can't speak as to that product. Maybe they are related and are pulling from the same stock, I have no idea. This is the seller I bought from and I can speak to that unit. If you try one out just make sure to specify your wall voltage and output voltage!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-65VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-Power-supply-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-etc/321829629341?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks to Chris recommendation. Just received mine. Plugged in and wow !

13FB64E9-8CE0-45D1-AC46-177786E8A908.jpeg 30B28738-8A1E-4058-BD9E-1412189429C9.jpeg

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #1,071 of 1,442
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,072 of 1,442
I am using the one that comes with the package.

I forget to mention that I actually got the LPS from a diff seller.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.sg/ulk/itm/113042445481

Hmmm, that is an R-core type LPS but that's definitely a different model from the one I purchased. The LED, case orientation and internals are all different. The listing also calls out CTH and Alex Cavelli with the propduct description having been last edited on March 18th. I bet you they saw this thread and changed the description to lure potential buyers. Not saying there is anything physically wrong with it, just thought that was worth mentioning. How do you feel about the sound?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #1,073 of 1,442
yea. The seller created this auction specifically for CTH , probably due to numerous custom requests.

Sound wise definitely one up vs the original power adapter. Bass is harder and faster. More energy too.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #1,074 of 1,442
This is another version of the AMB Sigma 11 regulator by Zerozone - this one uses the film cap on the output and good quality components - a bit of a bargain at this price

[notice that the photo shows the Sigma 22 (or their S22 designation) that provides both '+' and ' -' voltages (see the IRF9Z34 fets)

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #1,075 of 1,442
If anyone is interested. I have a spare Tung-sol 6C8G , with an adapter that I'll part with. $35 shipped and fees. Shoot me a pm if interested. Also have a 50's 6N3P Foton triple mica(best 5670/396a variant hands down) with an adapter. This tube is extremely hard to find. $30 shipped and fees if interested as well.

Cheers!
Hi, I would like to buy your Tung Sol 6c8g spare tube and the adapter too - would you be able to send it to me here in Victoria, Australia? And the cost?

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,076 of 1,442
I got the Cavalli LCX with Grace Dac from MD not too long ago. It is no longer with me for a couple of reasons.

Sound Tonality- fits well with the hd 600 or brighter headphones. Otherwise the amp adds a tonality that reminds me of a tube amp I tried but to a lesser degree.

Build- beautiful looking chassis, but the SDAC component I received had issues that prevented connectivity with all my devices. The amp had problems of its own.

Volume pot- please, headphone amp makers don’t ruin the quality of your product with a noisy volume pot. All around scratchy noise with even the slightest of turning on the volume knob. It is especially noticeable on the hd 600.

If anyone here is still looking for this amp, IMO make sure to verify that the integrated dac is of good quality and that the volume noise doesn’t make loud scratching noises each time it’s turned.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #1,077 of 1,442
So, I'd say my tube is about 30 hours burned in or so and holy crap! What a difference! Every time I go to listen to this Tung-Sol it impresses me more and more. It's made my HD650s come alive in a way I hadn't thought possible with an amp of this price!
I know at this point I'm merely echoing what everyone else has said; however it really deserves to be repeated: If you get this amp please consider the 6c8G and LPS mods! They're so incredibly impressive!

I decided to return the Focal Clear as it was a bit bright for my tastes and I have a couple of ZMF headphones on the way now (the auteur and Atticus. I've auditioned them both and loved them.) One is mainly to be used at the office and when I can't be at my home set up, however I'm excited to try them both with the CTH!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,078 of 1,442
So, I'd say my tube is about 30 hours burned in or so and holy crap! What a difference! Every time I go to listen to this Tung-Sol it impresses me more and more. It's made my HD650s come alive in a way I hadn't thought possible with an amp of this price!
I know at this point I'm merely echoing what everyone else has said; however it really deserves to be repeated: If you get this amp please consider the 6c8G and LPS mods! They're so incredibly impressive!

I decided to return the Focal Clear as it was a bit bright for my tastes and I have a couple of ZMF headphones on the way now (the auteur and Atticus. I've auditioned them both and loved them.) One is mainly to be used at the office and when I can't be at my home set up, however I'm excited to try them both with the CTH!

The MCTH and Auteurs were one of my favorite pairings. If the Tung Sols and Auteurs are too bright for you the, try the Eikon Perforated pads. It hit the sweet spot for me.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,079 of 1,442
So, got my CTH+SDAC combo about a week ago and have 87h on it as of writing this. When nothing is playing i noticed that i have a slight blip of noise/diginoise or faint stutter kinda effect from time to time when scrolling on the internet. It gets more continous when i start running programs on PC. When music is playing i rarely notice it. Is it from dirty usb port/cable or is it ground related ? By the way tried with two different headphones and usb cables, mainly notice it in the left ear.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,080 of 1,442
So, got my CTH+SDAC combo about a week ago and have 87h on it as of writing this. When nothing is playing i noticed that i have a slight blip of noise/diginoise or faint stutter kinda effect from time to time when scrolling on the internet. It gets more continous when i start running programs on PC. When music is playing i rarely notice it. Is it from dirty usb port/cable or is it ground related ? By the way tried with two different headphones and usb cables, mainly notice it in the left ear.

This sounds like a ground noise problem. Try plugging both your PC and CTH into the same outlet and see if the noise goes away. Otherwise, an iFi iDefender + external power supply into the iDefender (power needed for the SDAC) should solve your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back