Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC - a budget beast
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #46 of 180
Good to superb figures if not state of the art. Rest assured it won't be a bottleneck in any systems despite of what the popular beliefs ws. actual science of audio tells us. :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #47 of 180
The FFT of the SDAC with a 10kHz stimulus is primarily for seeing clock jitter artifacts and other non-harmonically related spurs. It is not very useful (for the reasons you mention above) for analyzing harmonic distortion components.
We will publish a 1kHz FFT soon!

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #48 of 180
how does the Sdac compare to the dac in the m900 (m9xx)?

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #49 of 180
Got a notification from Massdrop today, stating that the SDAC is "in production" and on schedule for the Dec 12th shipping date. Seems like forever since I ordered it. Massdrop is not for the impatient.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 180
My SDAC showed up today, a week earlier than they predicted when I ordered it. Massdrop has been doing a good job of getting items out on time, or even early this month for lots of different items.

Can't say that I notice any major differences with the SDAC in the chain. Since I couldn't do a head to head test with my old DAC, I really don't think I can remember any slight nuances that change between them. Its clean and clear. And there were no problems getting the DAC recognized in Windows 10. I'm using the SDAC with a powered USB 2 hub.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #54 of 180
So an SDAC landed on my doorstep today. Hooked it up, queued the music.

Now, I've been through a few DACs. Not as many as some, but (perhaps) more than most. And, I gotta say, this diminutive black box is absolutely killing it thus far.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #55 of 180
I think this SDAC outperforms the ODAC with no problem at all. It's tonality is also very good if you don't do critical listening.

But honestly I prefer another DAC a little more in this price range though.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #58 of 180
Feb 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #60 of 180
I think this SDAC outperforms the ODAC with no problem at all. It's tonality is also very good if you don't do critical listening.

But honestly I prefer another DAC a little more in this price range though.

"It's tonality is also very good if you don't do critical listening."

That's a masterful "damn with faint praise" comment. (ie, "Their house seems clean if you don't look too close")

What happens if you do critical listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back