Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 20, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 4,845
Part of these releases of collaboration phones excites the nerd in me striving to reach that perfect pair of headphones, but at the same time it gives me pause for consideration for almost any pair of headphones I would be considering. I just ordered a pair of HD 660 S to see the sound difference myself, and already there are reports the 580X Jubilee is similar to trusted review sources. Almost makes me inclined to want to avoid purchasing as I'll continually be thinking, "What is Massdrop going to announce next and make me regret my purchase?" I agree that this one doesn't make sense as it sounds quite similar to the HD 660 S. At least I have time to consider whether there is any difference between the HD 660 S to me or not, but the more reports I read, the more my confidence diminishes.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 4,845
To be honest, despite sennheiser trying to make these more efficient the HD58X decently solid bass and the bass gets stronger from a high impedance output or OTL amp. It will all depend on that amp you use as to which results you get. My Mogwai Special Edition has a 300ohm tap and the 58X hits really hard from that output. even harder than from my Aficionado or my Mogwai's 32ohm output.

I will be using Magni 3 AMP and Grace Design S DAC. Very happy with this combo. I'm leaning towards buying HD 58x. I have heard the HD650 before and the soundstage was too small for my tastes... the slam was amazing, I am not sure why people call these relaxed headphones, when I heard the HD650 the slam was like HEYA BUDDY WAKE UP ITS TIME TO PARTY haha (maybe I was listening on too high a volume :D )

I think I am going to buy the HD 58x, will be something different at least. As long as I can bring out some bass on it with my high gain Magni 3 I will be a happy camper.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 4,845
I will be using Magni 3 AMP and Grace Design S DAC. Very happy with this combo. I'm leaning towards buying HD 58x. I have heard the HD650 before and the soundstage was too small for my tastes... the slam was amazing, I am not sure why people call these relaxed headphones, when I heard the HD650 the slam was like HEYA BUDDY WAKE UP ITS TIME TO PARTY haha (maybe I was listening on too high a volume :D )
It is all relative I guess. Planars in general are less responsive and due to their typical flat mid-lower bass response then they have a hard time hitting as hard as dynamics since the response is less nodal and spread out across the diaphragm. The Aeon Flow Open is unique in that it can slam pretty well but it does have the hump like a lot of dynamic drivers. Honestly the Aeon Flow Open is a headphone I am looking to own when funds free up. I really enjoy those cans.

Amongst dynamics the 650 usually comes up a little short when compared to a lot of others but I feel it most usually sounds natural and responsive. Just wait till you hear it on a good tube amp then you will enjoy it even more.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #36 of 4,845
As an owner of the HD 700 and HD 580 precision, how redundant is this purchase for me??

I mean... your time would be better spent tweaking your HD700 some and buying a well paired amp for the HD700. I am not sure why anyone would go from HD700 to this... especially if they like HD700... I'll buy this for you if you send me your HD700, how about that? :D

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #37 of 4,845
I mean... your time would be better spent tweaking your HD700 some and buying a well paired amp for the HD700. I am not sure why anyone would go from HD700 to this... especially if they like HD700... I'll buy this for you if you send me your HD700, how about that? :D

That's what I did, I did the audio house mod and I pad swapped for RS 180 pads and HD 700 Chinese offbrand pads and I must say the pads are the main part that change the sound alot. The RS 180 clone pads tame down the soundstage, bring the vocals forward and even though the sound signature is more defined and controlled, it loses some of that sweet soundstage and power. Still tweaking them, tbh I've grown to love the HD 700, at first they were off putting a bit since the upper mids sound weird. After modding them I kind of got used to them and actually I kind of accept them as they are. The headphones are great for movies and games. Great for several genres.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #39 of 4,845
This looks to me a little like Sennheiser is getting rid of overstock on old parts. They have the frame anyways, drivers seem widely exchangeable inside that frame, add some different paint and e voila here goes Massdrop. On top you are in the news again.....

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #40 of 4,845
Dec 21, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #41 of 4,845
Just finished reading it, seems to be a common theme, it is very bass light... looks like I will be spending $50 more for the HD6xx after all.
Don't forget to get a decent amp for the HD6XX since like the HD650 it does like a decent/good OTL amp while the HD660S and I would think the HD58X is probably better sounding on a wider range of amps due their lower impedance

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #42 of 4,845
Don't forget to get a decent amp for the HD6XX since like the HD650 it does like a decent/good OTL amp while the HD660S and I would think the HD58X is probably better sounding on a wider range of amps due their lower impedance

Only amp I have is Magni 3. I think HD6xx will scale well with it. Thoughts?

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #43 of 4,845
Only amp I have is Magni 3. I think HD6xx will scale well with it. Thoughts?
Didn't get to try my HD6XX or HD650 with the Magni3 at my friends place since he had taken the Magni3 to his office but most SS amps don't do the HD650/HD6XX justice IMO and a few other friends that have the HD650 agree with this observation. I would think the HD660S would be a better choice for use with the Magni3 since to me the Magni3 is just a bit on the warmer side of neutral and would be a better match impedance wise. As with most/all tube amps the details are in the tubes used since its possible to change the character of the sound from warm to bright on some tube amps and this is why I think many say the HD650 will scale with better gear and I'd have to agree with this point from my experiences so far. The HD660S that my friend had didn't seem to scale like the HD650/HD6XX when going from Ember > BH Crack > MicroZOTL2 / Elise / EC ZDS but on the other hand it did sound better than the HD650/6XX on HA-501, Asgard2, Galaxy S8 and iPhone 6S. Just remember that to some the differences are small and then there are others that would consider the differences huge since we all have a different scale. A huge difference to me means that even the most novice person can quickly hear a difference. The differences between the first group of tube amps is not something most novice listener will notice quickly or at all while I would hope to think that most on these threads would be able to hear the differences after spending some time with careful listening.
With the HD58X I would think it would be like the HD660S since it has a lower impedance and sound good/great on a wider range of gear than the HD600/650. I think its important that the supporting gear (DACs/amps) used with any impression should be noted since it does have an effect on how a headphone will sound along with the genre / quality of music, listening level and the individual's own hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back