Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 13, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #421 of 4,845
They did try to do it with the HD6XX (we waited like half a year for the second drop) only to reduce the price a few weeks later. I don’t think they will repeat the same mistakr with this one

Except this time they pre-announced that the price could go up on subsequent drops, for the 58X. I don’t believe they said anything like that with the 6XX.

May 13, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #422 of 4,845
I'm convinced that I'd heard there will also be a Sennheiser version of this headphone, but I don't remember WHERE I heard this. Can someone confirm or deny? Perhaps this could be the reason the price will have to be be raised; bring it more in line with their own model. I can't imagine Sennheiser developing this new driver solely for use in a Massdrop exclusive model (though WTH do I know). However, if the HD58X headphone is well received and they did regular drops it could be worth the time/investment.

May 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #423 of 4,845
I'm convinced that I'd heard there will also be a Sennheiser version of this headphone, but I don't remember WHERE I heard this. Can someone confirm or deny? Perhaps this could be the reason the price will have to be be raised; bring it more in line with their own model. I can't imagine Sennheiser developing this new driver solely for use in a Massdrop exclusive model (though WTH do I know). However, if the HD58X headphone is well received and they did regular drops it could be worth the time/investment.

Well, this is a Sennheiser version, but I know what you meant, you mean apart from Massdrop-only distribution. :)

I think you may be right!

May 13, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #424 of 4,845
Well the only time I've seen manufacturers make a Massdrop version then make their own version was with the Grace Design M9xx. When the M900 got released I did not see the M9xx drops too often. And I don't think the M900 is that popular. If Sennheiser do intend to make their own version, they need to convince us that it's great.

May 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #426 of 4,845
With the official word from Sennheiser that they've successfully brought up the bass to HD 650/6XX levels and the graph that briefly popped up looking great, I'm confident it will be good -- maybe even great!

May 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #427 of 4,845
I think we already basically inferred this anyway, but here is reported word from the DIY Audio Heaven guy who put up that FR graph that he promptly took down, reported 2 days ago by a Massdrop user:

From DIYAudioHeaven today about the FR chart leaked,
" I simply jumped the gun thinking the drop had taken place when I received what appeared to be the production model HD58X. Unfortunately I was not informed the model I received was an evaluation model which has to be approved by Massdrop first before production is started. On request by Massdrop I delayed publication of my findings. Watch the Massdrop site for publication about this. When the cat is out of the bag my findings will be posted here and a more elaborate article in pdf. Both are ready to be published once Massdrop has given the approval for production. "

Source: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2074446

May 17, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #428 of 4,845
Thought so.

May 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #429 of 4,845
the model I received was an evaluation model which has to be approved by Massdrop first before production is started.
On a positive note, remember, MassDrop was well aware of the angry hoard of Senn fans (probably disappointed by the HD660s reduced bass vs. the HD650 or HD6XX) wanting some damned bass on them. Early graphs showed these as the most bass deficient of all open cans which they knew would not go over well. They said clearly, they would ask Sennheiser for response to be improved in the lower bass. If that was an evaluation model, then I have to imagine it was Senn saying "how are these bass levels?". MassDrop would be idiots to hear it sounding like that and wimp out saying "ouch, too much bass". That's not too much bass, it's the effing bass we have been waiting for on open premium Sennheisers. Heck, maybe "you probably can add more if you want" could have been the answer even. I'm joking. In all seriousness, that was what we wanted, judging by comments on the drop, in frequency response. Actually, I'd suggest everyone who saw that who is reading this go to the Drop page and comment the 'leaked' graph was what we want, don't cut any bass, in fact, the more the merrier.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #430 of 4,845
@Mark Up funny thing is, there is one very angry Massdrop participant who is commenting on the discussion on that drop, that he feels he was duped into this drop because he wanted less bass. :smirk:

May 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #431 of 4,845
On a positive note, remember, MassDrop was well aware of the angry hoard of Senn fans (probably disappointed by the HD660s reduced bass vs. the HD650 or HD6XX) wanting some damned bass on them. Early graphs showed these as the most bass deficient of all open cans which they knew would not go over well. They said clearly, they would ask Sennheiser for response to be improved in the lower bass. If that was an evaluation model, then I have to imagine it was Senn saying "how are these bass levels?". MassDrop would be idiots to hear it sounding like that and wimp out saying "ouch, too much bass". That's not too much bass, it's the effing bass we have been waiting for on open premium Sennheisers. Heck, maybe "you probably can add more if you want" could have been the answer even. I'm joking. In all seriousness, that was what we wanted, judging by comments on the drop, in frequency response. Actually, I'd suggest everyone who saw that who is reading this go to the Drop page and comment the 'leaked' graph was what we want, don't cut any bass, in fact, the more the merrier.

Massdrop knows what we want, so I think they won't say ew too much bass, maybe they will use this as excuse, the problem is that if the 58X is too close to the 6XX, they will compete with each other, which is not good. So it's possible that even if the 58X sounds great they will make it more bass lean so it doesn't takes the 6XX's spot

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #432 of 4,845
Massdrop knows what we want, so I think they won't say ew too much bass, maybe they will use this as excuse, the problem is that if the 58X is too close to the 6XX, they will compete with each other, which is not good. So it's possible that even if the 58X sounds great they will make it more bass lean so it doesn't takes the 6XX's spot

I think the 6XX will have continue to be distinct from the 58X just as the 660S is distinct from the 6XX, due to slightly different tuning up top but perhaps more importantly because of the 300 Ohm impedance of the 6XX vs the 150 Ohm impedance of the 58X and 6XX. At first blush, that would seem to be something in favor of the 660S and 58X (and for some it is), but there are also folks on high output impedance amps (particularly OTL amps) on which the 6XX is a much better match than the 660S and 58X.

On the other hand, I'm wondering how the 58X will be markedly inferior to the 660S, or else it would seem the 660S is the headphone that could see competition.

May 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #433 of 4,845
You could be right, but you may be all wrong...

May 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #434 of 4,845
I think the 6XX will have continue to be distinct from the 58X just as the 660S is distinct from the 6XX, due to slightly different tuning up top but perhaps more importantly because of the 300 Ohm impedance of the 6XX vs the 150 Ohm impedance of the 58X and 6XX. At first blush, that would seem to be something in favor of the 660S and 58X (and for some it is), but there are also folks on high output impedance amps (particularly OTL amps) on which the 6XX is a much better match than the 660S and 58X.

On the other hand, I'm wondering how the 58X will be markedly inferior to the 660S, or else it would seem the 660S is the headphone that could see competition.
I agree with most of what you say, but we can’t be sure until the headphones become available in a few weeks...

May 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #435 of 4,845
If this headphone has the non-fitiguing treble response, and driver being as fast as the HD660S or even improves upon it(like the bass extension for example), I would have regretted not getting on it.

I like the HD660S, but wish it was competitive in price of the others in the 6 series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back