Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #151 of 498
Mm....congratulations Sennheiser for listening to your customers. A closed-back totl plugs a gaping hole in your product line-up. Finally, added competition (which is always good) in the closed-back category. Great way to start 2018. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Focal Utopia Closed-Back? But, of course! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #152 of 498
All this criticism of the choice of 4.4 mm Pentaconn connector has me baffled. One of the problems with high-end headphones today is that you end up owning a bunch of different cables if you have more than one amp/DAP. Here is a new connector that can be used both balanced and single-ended and supports microphones. We should be cheering and demand that all other companies follow suit. Finally, one connector to rule them all. Why are folks so afraid of using an adapter? What is the big deal that justifies such anger? Especially when the headphone ships with two other cables for those who have a phobia of adapters.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #153 of 498
Mm...the 820 cable is removable. So, Pentaconn lover or hater should not matter. I reckon many HD800 or 800S owners already have third party cables terminated with ____ and are compatible with the 820 (I am using the Nordost Heimdall 2 for my 800 and 800S, with 6.3, XLR, and 3.5 ). Non-issue.

Next milestone for Sennheiser: a closed-back HE 1............toink!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #154 of 498
On the issue of cables and connectors, the UK Sennheiser product page states that the HD820 comes packaged with:
  • connection cable: ¼” (6.35 mm) stereo jack plug (connected ex works), unbalanced
  • 4.4 mm Pentaconn stereo jack plug, balanced
  • XLR-4 connector, balanced
It's not entirely clear what this means, but I take it to mean two cables, one unbalanced 6.35mm one, and Pentaconn balanced one with an XLR4 adaptor.

The only other interpretation is that is has a single cable with connectors for Pentaccon and XLR4, but that doesn't make sense as you can't adapt unbalanced to balanced.

EDIT: Or I guess it could also mean three cables. To be fair, the copy is pretty shoddy. Perhaps Sennheiser could clarify this a little?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #155 of 498
Says who? You have no idea what their R&D and overhead costs are. You don’t work for them and you’re not an auditor.

Correct. Which is why I pointed exactly that out in my post.

All this cost speculation being pawned off as fact is getting ridiculous.

I agree. And claiming the price is purely the result of R&D is exactly that, and I've seen that twice now. I wanted to provide a counter point. The more willing we are to pay the ever increasing prices, the more price hikes we will see, in part because engineers will get lazy and not think of clever ways to keep the price down.

If you don’t want them, don’t buy them. If you think they’re too pricey, don’t buy them. But people need to stop acting like they have the first clue about their budget and expenses.

If they are indeed the best closed back headphones in the world, as Alex Grell says he believes, then being a bit more pricy than other contenders (e.g. Ether C Flow at $1800) is not completely unreasonable, especially taking into account that Sennheiser frequently does sales, while MrSpeakers never does.

That to me is a lot more plausible than the R&D for a headphone with an already existing driver cost as much or more than the R&D for the whole first headphone that had the driver. But sure, I could be wrong. Just like the other people speculating.

Good points. I think the inclusion of the balance cable is a key reason why the HD800S cost $300 more. It costs more than that if you buy that cable by itself.

Fair point, though they also save by not having to put it in it's own little box. And Focal somehow managed to include three different cables in the $1,500 Focal Clear package. Well, and Audio Technica in their $150 M50x. *shrug*

We still have a lot to learn about the HD820 including how it sounds. Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise and make the cost easier to justify.

I'm definitely welcoming a market shakeup. They look great, and just the thought of an HD800's sound stage in a closed can is marvelous.

By the way I heard Hifiman's $6000 Susvara at RMAF 2017 and thought the $3000 HE1000 v2 sounded better with same amp same music.

I heard it briefly at the SF Head-Fi meetup hooked up to a DNA Stratus, I think, and it sounded fine, but not mindblowingly so, as I would have expected based on the price tag. That was the first day I heard anything more expensive than $1200, though, so that's by no means an informed review.

I heard the HD800S on their new Senn amp and it seemed at the same level as the HE1000 v2. I really see no justification for what Hifiman is charging for the Susvara. Senn is still keeping things reasonable by comparison.

Agreed. It's awesome for them to be able to increase the price more than (probably) necessary and still seem modest in comparison. They'd be stupid not to.

In this "some tuning" there is a world of engineering. :wink:

Certainly. As much as a brand new driver? That would be surprising, but who knows what unobtainium the absorption chambers are made of.

This really is a mute argument. I think that the closed version is always the most challenging to make. Closed design has to conquer far more unwanted physical side-effects.
Seems to me that Dan (Mrspeakers) created the closed versions first, did the big junk of "closed design problems R&D" prior to making an open version of the headphone. The only thing you prove here is that it's not too hard to make a good open headphone starting from a closed design. R&D for the closed design problems might have rendered a ton of useful data, plus there's far less physical limits to overcome. To keep the costs down, why not share more elements of the chassis, like bass ports that don't serve any purpose as you say (or might they?) - they also don't negatively affect the sound, so no harm in keeping designs more alike. Designing a cup that minimalises reflections is a hell of a task. Making an open version is quite a breath of fresh air: remove the cup and basically almost all your reflections are gone at once.

This tells nothing about a transition in the other direction. A design without bass ports suddenly needs those, suddenly there are those nasty reflections and resonances plaguing the sound... these challenges are still unsolved.

So I'm rather inclined to say:
Making an open headphone from a closed design is basically just removing the cup (yeah, over simplified: and compensating the lost seal hence bass,...): true.
Making a closed headphone from an open design is just putting a cup on it? Not in the least bit true.

True. It should still be easier than making an entire new headphone with a new driver, like they did with the much cheaper, and much older HD800. If that design had been so unsuitable for a closed can, the HD820 wouldn't have the same basic shape and driver. Otherwise that higher price would be way more understandeable, actually.
I'm not at all trying to say that it was trivial to pull this off, and that they didn't do this better than other manufacturers. I'm excited about it, and it's a continuation of their efforts with the IE800, which also has absorption chambers. Sennheiser isn't completely new to this.

I don't know if it has something to do with way planar magnetic drivers work vs electrodynamic drivers, but doesn't that seem to happen more often with planars than with dynamics? That differences between a closed and open variant are minimal because it's a little easier to tune the same driver for the differences between open and closed? I'm thinking in particular of the Fostex T20/T40/T50 RP series.

Quite possible, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #156 of 498
Correct. Which is why I pointed exactly that out in my post.

I agree. And claiming the price is purely the result of R&D is exactly that, and I've seen that twice now. I wanted to provide a counter point. The more willing we are to pay the ever increasing prices, the more price hikes we will see, in part because engineers will get lazy and not think of clever ways to keep the price down.

If they are indeed the best closed back headphones in the world, as Alex Grell says he believes, then being a bit more pricy than other contenders (e.g. Ether C Flow at $1800) is not completely unreasonable, especially taking into account that Sennheiser frequently does sales, while MrSpeakers never does.

That to me is a lot more plausible than the R&D for a headphone with an already existing driver cost as much or more than the R&D for the whole first headphone that had the driver. But sure, I could be wrong. Just like the other people speculating.

Fair point, though they also save by not having to put it in it's own little box. And Focal somehow managed to include three different cables in the $1,500 Focal Clear package. Well, and Audio Technica in their $150 M50x. *shrug*

I'm definitely welcoming a market shakeup. They look great, and just the thought of an HD800's sound stage in a closed can is marvellous.

I heard it briefly at the SF Head-Fi meetup hooked up to a DNA Stratus, I think, and it sounded fine, but not mindblowingly so, as I would have expected based on the price tag. That was the first day I heard anything more expensive than $1200, though, so that's by no means an informed review.

Agreed. It's awesome for them to be able to increase the price more than (probably) necessary and still seem modest in comparison. They'd be stupid not to.

Certainly. As much as a brand new driver? That would be surprising, but who knows what unobtainium the absorption chambers are made of.

True. It should still be easier than making an entire new headphone with a new driver, like they did with the much cheaper, and much older HD800. If that design had been so unsuitable for a closed can, the HD820 wouldn't have the same basic shape and driver. Otherwise that higher price would be way more understandeable, actually.
I'm not at all trying to say that it was trivial to pull this off, and that they didn't do this better than other manufacturers. I'm excited about it, and it's a continuation of their efforts with the IE800, which also has absorption chambers. Sennheiser isn't completely new to this.

Quite possible, I have no idea.

Fair enough. Now that I understand where you’re coming from, you make some good points.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #157 of 498
This happens with every single expensive headphone release: a bunch of people claim that it is over-priced without any evidence that it is.

Something's eventual price is a combination of a number of factors. R&D costs, manufacturing costs, marketing and distribution costs are part of it, and then it comes down to how many they need to sell and at what price to make a respectable return. This is less of a science. You can make it cheaper and make less profit on each unit and sell more, or you can make more profit on each unit and sell less. There is a sweet spot and it comes down to how many units they realistically expect to sell.

Just barrelling onto a thread and accusing a manufacturer of trying to rip people off is pretty short-sighted. We don't know the figures attached to any of the above. We have no clue, so what are we really trying to say? That we'd like it to be cheaper because we can't afford it?

For me, a headphone of this price is too rich for me to consider buying it right now, but that doesn't bother me at all. I don't see my personal budget as the ceiling of what a headphone manufacturer should strive for. I don't get angry that things exist that I can't afford and I don't claim they should definitely be cheaper just because I want them to be.

Sennheiser alone make headphones for people with a £100 budget, a £200 budget, a £300, £500, £1,000, hell £30,000 budget. That's just one manufacturer, there are good products for everyone at every price point.

We don't know how much more these cost to develop and make than an HD800S. We literally have no clue. It's clear from just glancing at them that they cost more to make than the HD800S, that's for sure, but I don't pretend I can glance at a photo of a product and determine that a £600 increase in price is definitely over the top. I also don't claim its definitely fair. I don't know. Anyone who acts like do is talking nonsense.

What I will say is this: the engineering problems in developing high-end closed-back headphones are a lot more complicated than those facing open cans. That's why open cans exist: a capitulation over the fact that it is just too difficult to get good sound without letting the backwave from the drivers escape. Since open cans were invented (by Sennheiser in fact if I remember rightly) the attempts at making closed back cans that were genuinely uncompromised have largely been unsuccessful. I can count the closed back headphones I would really call contenders on a single hand and have fingers free.

Maybe the HD820 is yet another failure. Yet another high-end manufacturer thinking that sticking a back on an open design and hoping for the best will have to do (mentioning no names here, but there are headphones out there that cost a lot more than these that don't do much more than this, and suffer for it). But if they have cracked it, then it is a big achievement and likely took a lot of research to get there.

If this beats the Mr Speakers Ether Flow C, then it is worth £2,000 as far as I am concerned. So let's just wait and see.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #158 of 498
The thinking behind the HD820 glass reflector reminds me of the R10 cup design. These kind of solutions should be easy to produce - though not design - with CNC and 3D-printers.

Also gonna check out my HD250 which as I remember was a very "open" closed headphone.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #159 of 498
A question for all you fellows and femmes.

If this new model were to eradicate the treble problems of the previous HD800 and 800s, if it were to present a smooth even top end response, while keeping the existing positive attributes of the others, would you acknowledge that it is worth the drastic increase in cost?

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #160 of 498
It really just depends on what you own and is entirely subjective.
For example I have absolutely no source gears with XLR connectors, yet I have 4.4mm gear. To me the included 4.4mm cable is more friendly, but may not for others. Flip that around, I'd rather the Focal Clear comes with a 4.4mm cable instead of the XLR balance cable. It work both ways and it doesn't really stop there, since then there's going to be another bunch of people who would say "why not include a 2.5mm cable?", and yet another bunch going "blah the include cable is trash quality anyway what a waste of space why am I paying for THAT I'd rather the price be reduced for X dollars". A line has to be drawn somewhere.

That's fair, having one larger 4.4 connector isn't to bad, making adapters to 2.5mm 3.5mm 6.5mm or 4pin xlr shouldn't be to hard. Native 2.5mm never seems ideal as those tiny connectors are hard to work with from what I understand.

Yes, of course. :)

The quality of the source is key and I’ve always said that. Headroom is, by the numbers, not really an issue with most good DAPs in today’s market. Let’s face it, desktop amps have more room to engineer a quality product with better power supply and implementation than portables. That’s never going to change. I’m just saying that output power is not a concern. We agree on all fronts, including chasing quality portable sources getting expensive.

yup yup yup, I guess the question now is will Senn also release a DAP or portable DAC/Amp to pair with their "closed" flagship

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #161 of 498
expect the most extended highest resolution bass ever done in a dynamic headphone.

Maybe but doubtful. If you read information on the website they say they are going for the same open sound, just in a closed headphone for those who need isolation. They’re taking the sound waves coming off the glass and reflecting it into absorbers, to disperse it as if the driver was open.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #162 of 498
Mm....interested in how the HD 820 will sound like with: AKs specially the SP1000 and the AK380 cu with amp, Woo Audio WA8, Mass Kobo 395, Chord Hugo 2 and Aurender Flow. Heck, might as well throw in the Chord TT. Closed-backed means portable/transportable so it has to perform well with portable/transportable headfi gear. Otherwise, what good is it?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #164 of 498
A question for all you fellows and femmes.

If this new model were to eradicate the treble problems of the previous HD800 and 800s, if it were to present a smooth even top end response, while keeping the existing positive attributes of the others, would you acknowledge that it is worth the drastic increase in cost?

Absolutely not. I owned HD800's and now own HD800S. I like them a lot, especially on a tube amp.

I also own Clears and L700's. An improved HD800S is no way worth north of two grand. It's time for people to put their collective foot down and put an end to this nonsense.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #165 of 498
Mm...hope it will not be a pain in the ass when it comes to pairing it with amps, like the HD 800. :deadhorse:

When Axel Grell says it is the most transparent closed back headphone in the world, what DAC/amp or amps (desktop class and portable) or DAPs was he using (besides the obvious HDV 820)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back