Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,447 of 7,711
Pictures your Meze with HM5 pls if you have... wonder how they fit...

EDIT:

SAVE_20170617_191954.jpeg SAVE_20170617_192008.jpeg

I tried uploading the pics but somehow I just can't upload any pics. Sorry. I'll try and send you a PM

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,449 of 7,711
Jun 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,450 of 7,711
Hello everyone,

I am quite new in the hifi world, so take my words with ease :) i bought the 99C after trying a few hp in a shop, there were a few including an audio technica msr7. It was so clear to me the 99C sounded better with my music i bought it and i enjoy listening to it. It feels like a clever fun and flexible hp. Then i bought a mrspeakers ether c1.1 and wow that's another thing. It feels more neutral, balanced, and somehow more serious.. therefore i found myself using the ether if i want it right and keep on using the 99C for more fun listening. Does it make sense?

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,451 of 7,711
Hello everyone,

I am quite new in the hifi world, so take my words with ease :) i bought the 99C after trying a few hp in a shop, there were a few including an audio technica msr7. It was so clear to me the 99C sounded better with my music i bought it and i enjoy listening to it. It feels like a clever fun and flexible hp. Then i bought a mrspeakers ether c1.1 and wow that's another thing. It feels more neutral, balanced, and somehow more serious.. therefore i found myself using the ether if i want it right and keep on using the 99C for more fun listening. Does it make sense?

Well, you do look like you really enjoy your 99C.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,452 of 7,711
Yes i do, the 99c is much lighter too, actually very balanced and somehow more dynamic than my ether. So it's more like a moody listening depending what energy i am expecting. Good to have different tools to use!!!

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2,454 of 7,711
@Murmel , photos please of your Meze with HM5 sheepskin if you have? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,455 of 7,711
Interesting that you chose the Velour pads. They would certainly add a different flavor to the sound signature than my sheepskin leather pads. Still looks great! :)

I wanted to give the sheepskin a try however the humidity around this place made me choose velour and you are absolutely right the sound does change to a great extent. The lovely rumbling sub-bass one felt with the original pads is certainly lost. All i can say is that you win some and you lose some :)

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,456 of 7,711
Hi guys, long time lurker of this thread, first time poster. Got my 99 Classics about a week ago and I'm in looove! Being one to not leave well enough alone, I have a question for you experts. I listen to Google Play 99% of the time from my Iphone 6s while on the go. The classics power nicely from my phone, but is it worth it to invest in an amp (just joined the NX1s Massdrop) or should I go all the way with a DAC/AMP? Oppo HA-2 (or se model) overkill? I don't often have "fun money" burning a hole in my pocket so I wanted to do this right. I've read all the way through this thread, but now that everyone has had more time to get their setups the way they like, I was wondering if anyone had some new opinions. I'd like to spend less than $300 for the Oppo if possible, but like I said, I'd like to get this right. Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,457 of 7,711
As you've discovered, the 99C sounds great from a smartphone, but they do grow noticeably more refined, dynamic, and rich from a good DAC/Amp. The Oppo HA-2SE is a wonderful choice, from what I've read (I've not heard it myself), and should do wonders for your new headphone.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,458 of 7,711
Hi guys, long time lurker of this thread, first time poster. Got my 99 Classics about a week ago and I'm in looove! Being one to not leave well enough alone, I have a question for you experts. I listen to Google Play 99% of the time from my Iphone 6s while on the go. The classics power nicely from my phone, but is it worth it to invest in an amp (just joined the NX1s Massdrop) or should I go all the way with a DAC/AMP? Oppo HA-2 (or se model) overkill? I don't often have "fun money" burning a hole in my pocket so I wanted to do this right. I've read all the way through this thread, but now that everyone has had more time to get their setups the way they like, I was wondering if anyone had some new opinions. I'd like to spend less than $300 for the Oppo if possible, but like I said, I'd like to get this right. Thanks in advance.

As you've discovered, the 99C sounds great from a smartphone, but they do grow noticeably more refined, dynamic, and rich from a good DAC/Amp. The Oppo HA-2SE is a wonderful choice, from what I've read (I've not heard it myself), and should do wonders for your new headphone.

Given my experience with DAC/AMPs so far, the best price/performance I found if you want to keep using your smartphone is iDSD Black Label. The depth of soundstage and microdynamics it gives to 99 Classics are incredible

It is almost like you give 99C another new level of vividness entirely, almost like reconstructing their sound to something much more refined.

I tested Ha-2SE and while good, iDSD BL costs a similar price in Romania and the depth it brings to the table is just exactly what I want - he soundstage of 99C becomes really large - iDSD BL is probably the reason why my review of them mentions a large soundstage multiple times.

FiiO will be coming with a FiiO X7ii if you want an all-in-one solution for listening to music while on-the-go, but right now I only now as much as everyone else, that it will come in the near future.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,460 of 7,711
Hello everyone,

Makes perfect sense. I have both myself and the Ether C's are in another league. The 99's are more of a fun headphone and the C's are more serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back