Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,461 of 7,711
Given my experience with DAC/AMPs so far, the best price/performance I found if you want to keep using your smartphone is iDSD Black Label. The depth of soundstage and microdynamics it gives to 99 Classics are incredible

It is almost like you give 99C another new level of vividness entirely, almost like reconstructing their sound to something much more refined.

I tested Ha-2SE and while good, iDSD BL costs a similar price in Romania and the depth it brings to the table is just exactly what I want - he soundstage of 99C becomes really large - iDSD BL is probably the reason why my review of them mentions a large soundstage multiple times.

FiiO will be coming with a FiiO X7ii if you want an all-in-one solution for listening to music while on-the-go, but right now I only now as much as everyone else, that it will come in the near future.

I don't know but i have mixed feelings about the velour pads from Brainwavz. A question for people with the sheepskin pads, How much of a compromise do you face bass wise?
Any news on the Fiio X7ii?

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,462 of 7,711
Awesome. Thank you for the input!

As you've discovered, the 99C sounds great from a smartphone, but they do grow noticeably more refined, dynamic, and rich from a good DAC/Amp. The Oppo HA-2SE is a wonderful choice, from what I've read (I've not heard it myself), and should do wonders for your new headphone.

Given my experience with DAC/AMPs so far, the best price/performance I found if you want to keep using your smartphone is iDSD Black Label. The depth of soundstage and microdynamics it gives to 99 Classics are incredible

It is almost like you give 99C another new level of vividness entirely, almost like reconstructing their sound to something much more refined.

I tested Ha-2SE and while good, iDSD BL costs a similar price in Romania and the depth it brings to the table is just exactly what I want - he soundstage of 99C becomes really large - iDSD BL is probably the reason why my review of them mentions a large soundstage multiple times.

FiiO will be coming with a FiiO X7ii if you want an all-in-one solution for listening to music while on-the-go, but right now I only now as much as everyone else, that it will come in the near future.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,463 of 7,711
I don't know but i have mixed feelings about the velour pads from Brainwavz. A question for people with the sheepskin pads, How much of a compromise do you face bass wise?
Any news on the Fiio X7ii?

I expected things to be kinda like this, this is why I avoid velour...

Sheepskin and such won't affect the bass but will make the mids sound more distant - there must be some kind of sacrifice in the sound when changing the distance between the drivers and the ears together with the pads materials.

All in all, if you want to stay save with your choices of pads, sheepskin is safer than velour in general, it affects the sound less and can be equalized while velour changes the fit type and creates an opening there so it will sound strange at first, the bass and sub bass might feel a bit less coherent and weak with velour.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #2,464 of 7,711
I expected things to be kinda like this, this is why I avoid velour...

Sheepskin and such won't affect the bass but will make the mids sound more distant - there must be some kind of sacrifice in the sound when changing the distance between the drivers and the ears together with the pads materials.

All in all, if you want to stay save with your choices of pads, sheepskin is safer than velour in general, it affects the sound less and can be equalized while velour changes the fit type and creates an opening there so it will sound strange at first, the bass and sub bass might feel a bit less coherent and weak with velour.

Yes that's exactly what happened. That is why i was frantically asking members here if anyone has had any experience with velour. I have sent brainwavz an email requesting a replacement. Let's see how that goes.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2,465 of 7,711
Yes that's exactly what happened. That is why i was frantically asking members here if anyone has had any experience with velour. I have sent brainwavz an email requesting a replacement. Let's see how that goes.

I am sorry about it... That is how velour sounds like, I had the same experience when going from typical pads to velour for a closed back headphone , happened with both Sennheiser HD380Pro and another one before, I think that you need sheepskin if you want the best sound possible with HM5 pads - but as you said before, they might not have been better than the original pads given your personal conditions, so I didn't insist on it back then

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,466 of 7,711
I am sorry about it... That is how velour sounds like, I had the same experience when going from typical pads to velour for a closed back headphone , happened with both Sennheiser HD380Pro and another one before, I think that you need sheepskin if you want the best sound possible with HM5 pads - but as you said before, they might not have been better than the original pads given your personal conditions, so I didn't insist on it back then

Hey George i am in no way blaming you or complaining. I was aware of the drawbacks of velour and wanted to see for myself how much it affected the SQ. IMO the impact on SQ is to an extent which won't work for me. Awaiting a reply from the brainwavz people.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #2,467 of 7,711
Hi guys, long time lurker of this thread, first time poster. Got my 99 Classics about a week ago and I'm in looove! Being one to not leave well enough alone, I have a question for you experts. I listen to Google Play 99% of the time from my Iphone 6s while on the go. The classics power nicely from my phone, but is it worth it to invest in an amp (just joined the NX1s Massdrop) or should I go all the way with a DAC/AMP? Oppo HA-2 (or se model) overkill? I don't often have "fun money" burning a hole in my pocket so I wanted to do this right. I've read all the way through this thread, but now that everyone has had more time to get their setups the way they like, I was wondering if anyone had some new opinions. I'd like to spend less than $300 for the Oppo if possible, but like I said, I'd like to get this right. Thanks in advance.

Do yourself a favor and buy an LG V10 or V20 phone. The quad DAC in those things drives the Classics really really well. The V10 is available on eBay for not much over $200 and the V20 for about twice as much. Slap in a 256GB micro SD, a SIM card with a generous data allowance and you're good to go. Since I got my V20 in December my Mojo & Onkyo DP-X1 stack is not getting that much mileage...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,468 of 7,711
Do yourself a favor and buy an LG V10 or V20 phone. The quad DAC in those things drives the Classics really really well. The V10 is available on eBay for not much over $200 and the V20 for about twice as much. Slap in a 256GB micro SD, a SIM card with a generous data allowance and you're good to go. Since I got my V20 in December my Mojo & Onkyo DP-X1 stack is not getting that much mileage...

That is an interesting option for a single device to do it all solution.

There are other interesting DAPs out there that people use and love, name FiiO DAPs, Shanling, Hidizs, HiFiMAN DAPs, and OPUS. All have their sound and while V20 is a good phone, having a DAP improves the textures, clarity, details and resolution on Meze 99C quite a lot.

As for a DAC/AMP, iDSD Black Label is the best I heard with 99C so far, the depth of soundstage it adds surprises me every day.

Hey George i am in no way blaming you or complaining. I was aware of the drawbacks of velour and wanted to see for myself how much it affected the SQ. IMO the impact on SQ is to an extent which won't work for me. Awaiting a reply from the brainwavz people.

I do blame myself for not insisting more with this, I feel it is something I should do, to let people know about this type of things if I know them...

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #2,469 of 7,711
That is an interesting option for a single device to do it all solution.

There are other interesting DAPs out there that people use and love, name FiiO DAPs, Shanling, Hidizs, HiFiMAN DAPs, and OPUS. All have their sound and while V20 is a good phone, having a DAP improves the textures, clarity, details and resolution on Meze 99C quite a lot.

As for a DAC/AMP, iDSD Black Label is the best I heard with 99C so far, the depth of soundstage it adds surprises me every day.

I do blame myself for not insisting more with this, I feel it is something I should do, to let people know about this type of things if I know them...
Hey Dob. Have you used Fiio X7 before.

I find sabre glare on V20 kinda rough on songs with highs that have heated treble.
Espeically some Korean folk singers that hit those notes at top.

V20 is pretty good for details and clarity but really enjoyed Presentation x5iii had with it's smoothed top.

Aune M1S, aune did some black magic to remove that sabre top as well.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,470 of 7,711
Hey Dob. Have you used Fiio X7 before.

I find sabre glare on V20 kinda rough on songs with highs that have heated treble.
Espeically some Korean folk singers that hit those notes at top.

V20 is pretty good for details and clarity but really enjoyed Presentation x5iii had with it's smoothed top.

Aune M1S, aune did some black magic to remove that sabre top as well.

I actually did use X7 for a while and was not that bothered by any kind of glare, but if your main music type is K-pop and J-pop, I see it possible that you might prefer X5-3. For k-pop in particular, X7 + AM02 should had taken the edge off and replaced it with a smooth sound

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #2,473 of 7,711
Wow, the sound of this headphones improves greatly by raising the 16k frequency several levels (+5/6 dB)

Now I need a portable amp that can do this... May the Fiio E17K do that? I see that have treble controls...

Yes, I was trying to explain this effect with Meze 99 Classics, their entire sound changes by doing that simple trick, they become much clearer, cleaner and the instruments textures and details gain a new level of vividness.

No AMP can do this directly and as good as a simple EQ trick from any DAP / smartphone can.

My honest recommendation - iDSD Black Label if you want the ultimate tool, FiiO X5ii if you want a DAP. I am still exploring more options like AP200, Shanling M2s and HiFiMAN Megamini, but I cannot talk about them at all right now.

That small bump in the treble is going to transform 99C from a great headphone to an amazing headphone that performs way above its price point, at least in my honest opinion.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #2,474 of 7,711
20170620_170619_HDR.jpg 20170620_170707_HDR.jpg 20170620_170755_HDR.jpg 20170620_170834_HDR.jpg
Just for giggles: 99 Classic vs V-Moda Crossfade II Rose Gold :)
Very similar sound signatures when wired, both have amazing design and loyal fans. I for one, love both.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,475 of 7,711

Just for giggles: 99 Classic vs V-Moda Crossfade II Rose Gold :)
Very similar sound signatures when wired, both have amazing design and loyal fans. I for one, love both.

V-Moda looks smaller than 99C in person and it also looks like it would have a bit too much clamping force.

Since my 99C is used EQ'ed for best sonic results, I wonder if V-Moda responds similarly good to EQ - 99C has better instrument texture than some TOTL headphones and IEMs out there when properly EQ'ed, this is not an exaggeration in any way - it is hard finding something with the same level of guitar and female voice textures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back