Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,491 of 7,704
Will I hardly ever us EQ I thought I would it a shot as the bass just is a bit much for more edging towards bloat. This did help a lot I did add a bit more bass back and reduced the high end just as another poster did the result is not too bad.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,492 of 7,704
Will I hardly ever us EQ I thought I would it a shot as the bass just is a bit much for more edging towards bloat. This did help a lot I did add a bit more bass back and reduced the high end just as another poster did the result is not too bad.

I really needed to add more treble as I felt there was too little for my tastes, but this is the beauty of EQ, you can always transform the sound to be better for your own ears!

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,493 of 7,704
I also don´t usually use EQ in my other cans. Very often EQ´ing results in distorsion but the Meze 99 classics accept very well this kind of sound treatment and makes the sound more natural to my ears.

It seems the Meze are a rough diamond and can be unleash with proper calibration. a few dB less in the 250HZ and an extra impulse in the treble and this headphones are worth the kings :D

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,494 of 7,704
I also don´t usually use EQ in my other cans. Very often EQ´ing results in distorsion but the Meze 99 classics accept very well this kind of sound treatment and makes the sound more natural to my ears.

It seems the Meze are a rough diamond and can be unleash with proper calibration. a few dB less in the 250HZ and an extra impulse in the treble and this headphones are worth the kings :D

After playing with the EQ more and more, I do think that the phase shift is welcome for 99 Classics as well as for 99 Neo. Adding lots of EQ doesn't work the same for two headphones so extensive tests are necessary for every pair out there. But after hearing 99 Neo for a very limited time, I think that they can be EQ'ed using the same profiles as 99 Classics.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,495 of 7,704
DAPs that are really good and already tested by me - FiiO X5ii

DAPs that I will test in 1-3 weeks: Shanling M2s, Hidizs AP200, FiiO X7next gen, FiiO X3next gen, HiFiMAN Megamini, OPUS #3 and I think that there is one more that I am forgetting.

I will update everyone on how well each of them works with 99 Classics!

Im glad to help! I wish more people would use EQ so they would take full advantage of 99C.

Any app and software works, I own professional hardware but am really happy with the EQ found on X5ii, the EQ found inside VLC (which is a poor music app), EQ in mobile foobar, etc.

Of course, it is very good to adapt my curves to better suit your tastes.

The rule is as it follows:

The first 3 bass sliders affect it as it follows:

First makes it deeper, second makes it more solid while third makes it boomy and liquid.

If you want it to be harder, add 1-2 dB on 62 Hz and decrease 125 Hz, if you want it to be deeper, increase 1-2 dB on 30 and 60 Hz

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,497 of 7,704
Hi to everyone, I live near the ocean 20m roughly, what kind of ear pads to use for such high salt and hot humidity?

The original pads seem to do the best job for me, and Bucharest is pretty humid although we don't have any salt in the air.

You might get good results if using HM5 Sheepskin, but I cannot promise anything since I am yet to test those!

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,498 of 7,704
The original pads seem to do the best job for me, and Bucharest is pretty humid although we don't have any salt in the air.

You might get good results if using HM5 Sheepskin, but I cannot promise anything since I am yet to test those!

There is salt in your sweat and skin. So if the stock pads work well for you in that climate, I'd say he's good. :D

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,499 of 7,704
There is salt in your sweat and skin. So if the stock pads work well for you in that climate, I'd say he's good. :D

Most probably, - I do sweat a lot in 40 C in Bucharest, so I think that people would be fine with stock or sheepskin. In 40C , under full sunlight, I do sweat with anything, including IEMs and open back headphones, the question is what can stay most comfortable for a longer period of time, and so far, 99C didn't pose any problem.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #2,500 of 7,704
Or you can be HOT HOT HOT like me in Phoenix and try to wear these things out in 120 degree Fahrenheit temperatures!

Uh, take my advice: don't.

I think it'd be interesting to try velour or the suede type materials. But if they accentuate the treble like those materials typically do, then it's probably best for Meze to make pads out of those. Of course, they could go the way of Hifiman and do hybrid pads (pleather on the inside and velour around the pads).

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,501 of 7,704
Or you can be HOT HOT HOT like me in Phoenix and try to wear these things out in 120 degree Fahrenheit temperatures!

Uh, take my advice: don't.

I think it'd be interesting to try velour or the suede type materials. But if they accentuate the treble like those materials typically do, then it's probably best for Meze to make pads out of those. Of course, they could go the way of Hifiman and do hybrid pads (pleather on the inside and velour around the pads).

Velour / hybrid doesn't work - Sorry. The sound will be skewed compared to full leather

About temperature, hard to search how much that means in C . Now I feel really sorry for you. Make sure to stay hydrated and better just don't leave the house in that case.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,502 of 7,704
Velour / hybrid doesn't work - Sorry. The sound will be skewed compared to full leather

About temperature, hard to search how much that means in C . Now I feel really sorry for you. Make sure to stay hydrated and better just don't leave the house in that case.

No company's take in consideration the heat, just if you think how many big city's are in the world with high climate, Rio DeJaneiro, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Tel Aviv , Mombay, Delhi, Miami, etc...They present huge potential.
I use in day time in ear headphones and morning and night over ear outside.Would be nice to have some ear pads breathable, just saying.
Maybe will be in the future a openback version, even on ear with similar signature.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,503 of 7,704
No company's take in consideration the heat, just if you think how many big city's are in the world with high climate, Rio DeJaneiro, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Tel Aviv , Mombay, Delhi, Miami, etc...They present huge potential.
I use in day time in ear headphones and morning and night over ear outside.Would be nice to have some ear pads breathable, just saying.
Maybe will be in the future a openback version, even on ear with similar signature.

Let's hope that Meze is working on something Open-Back then! We never know what comes next!

About heat, now that it is a blazing 30c in Bucharest and I got no AC in the room I'm in and we are at the highest floor, I do see your point about heat being a bit uncomfortable.

On the other hand, for walking outside, you might not be able to use something open back because you know, open back design.

But that is correct, lots of wealthy places that are placed at the bottom of a frying pan - Bucharest is mainly dusty concrete buildings and cars, the sun is literally burning the vegetation and melting down the streetlights sometimes.

Back to 99 Classics, I don't complain so far, but I tend to take pauses from time to time with all this heat. I have also been wearing a few In-Ears lately, I got to write about them and such. Every time I return to iDSD BL + EQ'ed 99C, I spend a few songs with them, impossible to just take a listen, it always leads to that one more song..

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,504 of 7,704
Every time I return to iDSD BL + EQ'ed 99C, I spend a few songs with them, impossible to just take a listen, it always leads to that one more song..
...or the whole album! I have the Neos.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,505 of 7,704
Let's hope that Meze is working on something Open-Back then! We never know what comes next!

About heat, now that it is a blazing 30c in Bucharest and I got no AC in the room I'm in and we are at the highest floor, I do see your point about heat being a bit uncomfortable.

On the other hand, for walking outside, you might not be able to use something open back because you know, open back design.

But that is correct, lots of wealthy places that are placed at the bottom of a frying pan - Bucharest is mainly dusty concrete buildings and cars, the sun is literally burning the vegetation and melting down the streetlights sometimes.

Back to 99 Classics, I don't complain so far, but I tend to take pauses from time to time with all this heat. I have also been wearing a few In-Ears lately, I got to write about them and such. Every time I return to iDSD BL + EQ'ed 99C, I spend a few songs with them, impossible to just take a listen, it always leads to that one more song..

Anyway heat or not, I enjoying wearing them , love the beautiful design (if I pay for something 300 euro, why to not have a great design) and not the last importance the amazing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back