Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #7,456 of 7,704
I can buy also 4.4 with 3.5 adapter?
If you find the adapter. Yes of course. Every balanced cable with a SE adapter.

This one is good :

DD DJ44C Adapter Female Balanced Jack 4.4mm to Male Single-Ended Jack 3.5mm Gold Plated​

DD HIFI

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #7,457 of 7,704
The problem about the cable is that I don't have balance output, and I don't want to buy 2 cables x119 euro, one with 3.5mm and one with 4.4 balance. So for now I could not have the advantage of cable
I deliberately bought the silver cable with 3.5mm single ended jack as like single ended (sounds more organic imo) and my headphone amps (apart from daps) only have single ended sockets.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #7,458 of 7,704
And what about the brainwaz pads that mention earlier in this thread? I remember they said it was the best of all
I use the BW Sheepskin along with the Meze Copper 2.5 (though I run with an adapter Single Ended into my JDS Atom stack) for the most part.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #7,460 of 7,704
I used it several months before changing the pads (I have the version with larger pads) and I never thought it was boomy and "awful" as some people say. When you read such reviews, you have the feeling, the classic is a kind of beats by dre. But it's not true at all.

Also really depends of your source, taste and cable. The change of the stock cable is a great improvement.
She’s right.. these are nowhere like a beats headphone in any way shape or form. I myself like the pads that came with them, I bought the “smalls” and didn’t like them. You’d have to just experiment if you don’t like the sound. It doesn’t make night and day differences or a huge drastic difference to me changing between the pads. I think you’d be very satisfied with the 99c’s. They are a really good headphone. I feel like it depends on the musical tastes you have I usually listen to hard rock, metal and those kind of genres but they also handle acoustic and softer music well too.

Like YanaMJ said they would not be such a success in the audiophile world if they sounded like beats by Dre. I feel like for the money spent they are great! I’m sure there are plenty better sounding but your going to have to spend quite a bit more money. Also we all have different sound preferences. I did allot of research before purchasing these and I was able to demo them some years ago so that made it a little easier to decide on them when the time came.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #7,461 of 7,704
And your sound thoughts?
If you mean me, I've owned these since IDK 2018 or 19. Still love them. I posted last week that I removed the felt from the front of the driver and it improved the clarity even more (though YMMV). I've tried Meze Small and Large pads, Yaxi pads, Shure Alcantara. BW Sheepskin are my favorite.

I wish i could try the Sheepskin Dekoni pads that Yana raves about but $80 is a bit much for me to justify pads. I'll stick with the BW SS lol (i even have a pair of them on my HyperX CloudX)

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #7,462 of 7,704
I wish i could try the Sheepskin Dekoni pads that Yana raves about but $80 is a bit much for me to justify pads. I'll stick with the BW SS lol (i even have a pair of them on my HyperX CloudX)
You're right $80 is a big amount and I wouldn’t have paid this price too. I had the opportunity to buy them for less than $60 which is a big amount too but more acceptable.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #7,463 of 7,704
@Lurk650
Good morning, felt you mean the black thing that is under the pads?
1. It gave them only clarity? Change other aspect of the sound? 2. Can be put it back again?

3. Technical support suggest me small pads or BW hybrid, so what's the difference from the sheepskin?

4. And what's the difference between small and standard meze pads , I see 1 and 2mm difference?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #7,464 of 7,704
I finally got the Meze 99 Classic
First impressions

In the beginning, I had asked the technical support of meze if they need to burn in in a special way, because herein head-fi they mentioned some files that it would be good to play in the first few hours.
The answer was NO, you just listen to music, and after about 70 hours you will have the final sound.

So I put through Fiio X5 ii +Fiio E12 to listen
Songs:

Hotel California - Robert Cray at club redux LIVE
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n Roses
Ain't no sunshine - Christy Baron
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Lydia Gray
Take Five - Dave Brubeck
Back in Black - AC/DC
Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy
Birdland - Acoustic mania
In Trance (with CATHE) - Scorpions MTV Live Athens
Caribbean Queen - Billy Ocean
And much more

I did all this a/b compared to my focals spirit pro. To be honest, I could hear some difference in terms of bass, the instruments a bit more natural but something it was strange/awfull , the lows got mixed up with the mids and mainly as if the whole picture was a bit blurry. The bass was bloated but on the bad side. I had read it from several people for such first impressions despite the different reviews,
and to tell you the truth, I was disappointed.
But everything had its cause, and this was none other than the forced change of pads from stock to small ones

Note that tech support had suggest me this for me to change either the small or the Brainwaz hybrids.
Also in my question they told me that I will see a noticeable difference with the pads and with the silver balance cable (of 129 euros), the difference will not be very big, smaller than pads.

So I bought the small pads, put them on (very easy process) and proceeded to tests

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :):L3000::beyersmile:

20-30% improvement, that's what I felt
The lows became tighter, they no longer got bleed in the mids, it seemed to me that the soundstage become bigger but mainly all the instruments sounded clearer with more body, and they sounded sweeter as if I had pulled a curtain from in front of me and it cleared the landscape. As I listened a SMILE formed and my whole body moved to the rhythm of the music,:L3000:
Now I understood what quality they were talking about, and it plays equally well many types of music.
It's a start but I've fallen in love with them, superior to the Focal spirit pro.

Thanks @YanaMJ @magicalmouse @Lurk650 @Dutch1Schaefer for your help :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

The fiio e12 amplifier does a great job compared to its x5ii alone, a much fuller image, deeper tighter bass, very sweet mids and highs, I never felt harshing and in songs that you would expect

Finally, I would like to point out the comfort, which many have a problem with (especially with the small pads)

The focal ones are on-ear, while these with either the large pads or the smaller over-ear, I listened to music for 4 hours straight and they didn't tire me in the slightest.
Consider myself lucky because they fit my ears without any problems in the pads.

Next purchase sometime probably new DAP
The dekstop dac / headphone amp Aune X1s worst in SQ from fiio+amp
But all the purchases together can not be done ....

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #7,465 of 7,704
First impressions

In the beginning, I had asked the technical support of meze if they need to burn in in a special way, because herein head-fi they mentioned some files that it would be good to play in the first few hours.
The answer was NO, you just listen to music, and after about 70 hours you will have the final sound.

Songs:

Take Five - Dave Brubeck
Back in Black - AC/DC
And much more

I did all this a/b compared to my focals spirit pro. To be honest, I could hear some difference in terms of bass, the instruments a bit more natural but something it was strange/awfull , the lows got mixed up with the mids and mainly as if the whole picture was a bit blurry. The bass was bloated but on the bad side. I had read it from several people for such first impressions despite the different reviews,
But everything had its cause, and this was none other than the forced change of pads from stock to small ones

Note that tech support had suggest me this for me to change either the small or the Brainwaz hybrids.
Also in my question they told me that I will see a noticeable difference with the pads and with the silver balance cable (of 129 euros), the difference will not be very big, smaller than pads.

So I bought the small pads, put them on (very easy process) and proceeded to tests

The lows became tighter, they no longer got bleed in the mids, it seemed to me that the soundstage become bigger but mainly all the instruments sounded clearer with more body, and they sounded sweeter as if I had pulled a curtain from in front of me and it cleared the landscape. As I listened a SMILE formed and my whole body moved to the rhythm of the music,:L3000:
Now I understood what quality they were talking about, and it plays equally well many types of music.
It's a start but I've fallen in love with them, superior to the Focal spirit pro.

Thanks @YanaMJ @magicalmouse @Lurk650 @Dutch1Schaefer for your help :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

The fiio e12 amplifier does a great job compared to its x5ii alone, a much fuller image, deeper tighter bass, very sweet mids and highs, I never felt harshing and in songs that you would expect

Finally, I would like to point out the comfort, which many have a problem with (especially with the small pads)

The focal ones are on-ear, while these with either the large pads or the smaller over-ear, I listened to music for 4 hours straight and they didn't tire me in the slightest.
Consider myself lucky because they fit my ears without any problems in the pads.

You're welcome. It was a pleasure.

Even if I love the Dekoni, I also have the small pads and you makes me wanna try them again 😅

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #7,466 of 7,704
I’m glad that you found what works for you Fotis, and your happy with the sound with the pad swap! These are a great set of cans for the price I’m sure you’ll get many good years out of them! I felt the silver cable helped the sound tighten up and add a little sparkle to the highs but ymmv. I went with Ali express cables as I didn’t want to spend the $100+ with the genuine meze.
First impressions

Songs:

Take Five - Dave Brubeck
Back in Black - AC/DC
And much more

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #7,467 of 7,704
I’m glad that you found what works for you Fotis, and your happy with the sound with the pad swap! These are a great set of cans for the price I’m sure you’ll get many good years out of them! I felt the silver cable helped the sound tighten up and add a little sparkle to the highs but ymmv. I went with Ali express cables as I didn’t want to spend the $100+ with the genuine meze.
You're right we can find good cables at good prices on aliexpress

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7,468 of 7,704
@YanaMJ which amp/dac or dap from your inventrory give the better SQ results for meze??
i'm trying to see whats the BEST solutions/pair next for dap or dac/amp dongle with my mobile (even they have mush lower power), or keep my current fiio and buy new desktop amp/dac.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #7,469 of 7,704
@YanaMJ which amp/dac or dap from your inventrory give the better SQ results for meze??
i'm trying to see whats the BEST solutions/pair next for dap or dac/amp dongle with my mobile (even they have mush lower power), or keep my current fiio and buy new desktop amp/dac.
It works already very well with the UP5

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #7,470 of 7,704
I just checked the up5, I saw that has 240mW on balanced, isn't it low power if you want to listen loud? I saw that all dongles of course has more or less same power. The hiby r6 for example is about 700mW power, how do they compare in SQ.? I mean phone/laptop+up5 Vs hiby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back