Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #31 of 1,409
Interesting...they stuffed the cups with thick felt basically and a put thin layer of material over the driver... with nothing on the thin metal walls. Wonder what it would do to get all that stuffing out of the cups and cover everything else inside with thinner felt....

Must resist the urge to buy one right now... LOL

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 1,409
Im a little curious on how they'd sound if I put vracer grills on them and made them open.

I left mine playing random songs in the morning just to rule out any burn in when I check them later tonight.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #33 of 1,409
So, I just saw them on me in the mirror... I think they're probably best used at home. They look kinda ridiculous..

My exact thoughts when I put mine on in the morning and looked in the mirror.

Definitely stay at home cans because that headband looks hilarious.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 1,409

Rumor has it that there are fazors on the earpad side of the m1060cs. May you remove the earpads(they are reattachable) and take a picture for us? It would be much appreciated for analyzing the exact differences between the open and closed backs. I do plan on attempting to convert my open back m1060s to closed backs due to past preference with closed cans.

On another note, it appears that the only thing that has changed on the wooden cup side of the new m1060cs is the addition of two additional smaller foam disks on the inner walls of the wooden cups. It also seems that the physical driver itself is the same as the open backs, as the metal cutout is the same, and the sticker label appears to have the same writings on it as my open backs.

Edit: forgot to mention the obvious fact that there is a white felt layer on the back of the driver. It also seems that the foam used for the largest shaped foam disk appears to be a different foam than the included foam in the open m1060s.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #36 of 1,409
I don't feel any fazors when feeling inside the earpad.

I'm also pretty sure the earpads are adhered like the previous M1060

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #37 of 1,409
I had to break down and order. You guys convinced me. Specially since my m560's crapped out and just started the RMA process. My T50rp MKIII's will be here tomorrow to hold me over till the m1060c's get here. I only live like an hour away from monoprice so the shipping shouldn't take too long. So excited, I feel this is my first real set of headphones ill be getting. The others were just to get my feet wet.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #39 of 1,409
I had to break down and order. You guys convinced me. Specially since my m560's crapped out and just started the RMA process. My T50rp MKIII's will be here tomorrow to hold me over till the m1060c's get here. I only live like an hour away from monoprice so the shipping shouldn't take too long. So excited, I feel this is my first real set of headphones ill be getting. The others were just to get my feet wet.

T50MK3 don't hold even a candle to the M1060C. In stock form at least. I am really liking my M1060Cs. More treble energy than my HD 6XX, midrange is still present, and there is subbass. I no longer have my T50RP since it was pretty unimpressive in its stock form. Tonality seems a lot better on the M1060C than the T50RP if memory recalls. M1060C has amazing soundstage and imaging as well as instrument separation. Comfort is in another league.

They run surprisingly well off my HTC One M9 too. Maybe only halfway up the volume slider at most. Bass isn't as punchy but it still sounds great.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 1,409
Anyone here own the M1060 and able to compare the 3d printed closed back to the stock M1060c?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2757518
This is awesome! Really appreciated initiative. Just ordered a paid in the local 3D printing shop, hopefully measurements will match stock M1060 holes. Will report outcome when parts will be ready. Yeah - why purchase a new set of headphones, when you can easily convert old ones :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #42 of 1,409
This is awesome! Really appreciated initiative. Just ordered a paid in the local 3D printing shop, hopefully measurements will match stock M1060 holes. Will report outcome when parts will be ready. Yeah - why purchase a new set of headphones, when you can easily convert old ones :D
If it more or less sounds like the M1060C then this would be great. Outside of the cups being wood on the C, would they need other tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back