Movie Soundtracks
Dec 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

userlander

Banned - aka walrus1 - aka vidranger1 - aka iggy-starnuts
Anyone here into movie soundtracks? I never paid much attention to them before, writing off the genre as kind of "pop classical," but I picked up some used CDs last week and am surprised to find that a lot of this stuff is really enjoyable.

These are the titles I got - just some composers whose names I was familiar with:

Hans Zimmer:
Gladiator
Thin Red Line
The Last Samurai

James Horner:
Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan
Rocketeer
Apollo 13
Bicentennial Man
Titanic

Jerry Goldsmith:
Star Trek V
Star Trek - First Contact
Star Trek - Nemesis
The Mummy

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but so far I am definitely more into Zimmer and Goldsmith than Horner (meh). The Last Samurai especially has some really nice parts in it. I also have to say a lot of it sounds better on full (loud
biggrin.gif
) speakers than headphones, but when you can't go loud, headphones still sound good. It's just not always so expansive and "big," but what you lose there you gain in more immediacy during more quiet parts.

What other composers or soundtracks are worth checking out? John Williams comes obviously to mind, but are there any more obscure ones to be on the lookout for?

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really like the gladiator soundtrack

Listening now... yeah, this is one of the better ones. Zimmer can really belt out some intensity.
biggrin.gif
A lot of dynamic contrast here, too.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 162
Not really obscure but The Lord Of The Rings soundtrack is amazing. And if you want something more electronic The Matrix is pretty good. I perhaps prefer The Matrix Reloaded over all, but Tetsujin from The Matrix Revolutions is my favourite single song of the lot.

[edit]Also, Clint Mansell might be worth checking out. I've not heard a lot of his work in detail, but what I have has been pretty good.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 162
Some film Scores I love (soundtracks would cover things like Pulp Fiction, rather than just original scores).

Vangelis - Antarctica
Vangelis - Blade Runner
Vangelis - 1492: Conquest of Paradise
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire
Vangelis - The Bounty

(and my favourite Vangelis) - El Greco

Hans Zimmer - The Rock

Mike Oldfield - The Killing Fields

Brad Fiedel - Terminator 2

Kenji Kawai - Ghost In The Shell - Innocence

Toto - Dune

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - A Clockwork Orange

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 162
Good distinction between film score and soundtrack. Most places seem to call them soundtracks, but I think you're right that it lends possible confusion with movies that use songs as soundtracks.

Nick Cave as in the Bad Seeds?? I didn't realize he was so prolific - I definitely want to see the Road.

p.s. Duggeh I thought you would have said the Exorcist.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good distinction between film score and soundtrack. Most places seem to call them soundtracks, but I think you're right that it lends possible confusion with movies that use songs as soundtracks.

Nick Cave as in the Bad Seeds?? I didn't realize he was so prolific - I definitely want to see the Road.

p.s. Duggeh I thought you would have said the Exorcist.
biggrin.gif

Oldfield didn't compose Tubular Bells (or its introduction) for The Exorcist and it was used without his consultation.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 162
No one mentioned the Star Wars score?
It's pretty damn good IMO

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 162
I cannot listen to the Star Wars scores as a musical experience. They do nothing outwith the context of the film. Simply don't stand alone with the strength of, for example. Antarctica.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 162
The "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack is a must-have.

If you like country music, hunt down a copy of the soundtrack to "Traveler." it's a slightly obscure and excellent movie that came out several years ago. Bill Paxton produced the soundtrack and he got a bunch of contemporary country singers to record old classics. It turned out especially well - I still spin the disc regularly. Classic songs, great performances and modern recording.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 162
We really lucked out with the combination of Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard on the Gladiator soundtrack. I'm not sure you could really come up with a better duo.

I really love the score for The Last of the Mohicans (1992), which up until right now I had mistakenly attributed to Danny Elfman, but apparently he had nothing to do with that score. Hmm..

Not orchestral, but I really thought the sountrack for the German movie Lola, Rennt (Run Lola, Run) was fantastic.

Duggeh, just curious have you heard the soundtrack for the first GITS? I thought it was far superior to the soundtrack from the sequel.

And not even a movie, but the soundtrack for the video game Silent Hill 3 is amazing as well. I actually grabbed the PC version of the game from the bargain bin for $4.99 just to get the soundtrack. Never really cared for the Silent Hill games, but they have really good soundtracks. If you liked the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, you should check it out.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 162
Someone mentioned Clint Mansell, I have found this guy to be an amazing composer. Very emotional stuff .....he can be very melodic, but also creates some pretty thick ambient soundscapes. Some highlights of his that I can highly recommend are Requiem for a Dream,The Fountain, Smokin' Aces, Moon and Definitely,Maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back