Movie Soundtracks
Dec 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 162
I love movie soundtracks... Particularly when you happen to get great music with movies you loved... Then you get reminded of the movie and all you experienced while listening to the music!

Braveheart, James Horners back to Titanic and the original release, Lord of the Rings,Twin peaks is amazing, gladiator, Star Wars, the piano, Pride and Prejudice if it has a soundtrack.

There is also a few great game soundtracks as well. One that is really superb is Advent Risings soundtrack! It´s good on any level. Outcasts soundtrack was great as well and about 10 year ahead of everyone else using full orchestras for game music
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #17 of 162
Recently, Surrogates OST, Avatar OST (James Horner), The Dark Knight Soundtrack (Zimmer+James Newton Howard), Transformers (Steve Jablonsky), Angels and Demons (Zimmer), Star Trek (Michael Giacchino) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0QO1za64E

One of my particular favorites, is the Crimson Tide soundtrack (Zimmer).
YouTube - Crimson Tide - Theme

Alright, let me just list my favorite Zimmer OSTs...

Gladiator, Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, The Last Samurai, King Arthur, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (w/James Newton Howard), Pirates Of the Caribbean (2 & 3, since Badelt did the 1st one)

Also, LOTR series (Howard Shore) is classic, as well as the Harry Potter film OSTs

Trailer music is also very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyC5KnVEHiY

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot listen to the Star Wars scores as a musical experience. They do nothing outwith the context of the film. Simply don't stand alone with the strength of, for example. Antarctica.

Funny, because I don't find that as critical for Star Wars. The Imperial March especially is one of my favourite pieces from a film score, and I enjoy it without the context of the film.

The area I tend to have more of a problem with is the slower and more ambient parts of film scores. They don't tend to have the complexity and emotion I enjoy from listening to music on its own, yet in the actual film they can work very well.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oldfield didn't compose Tubular Bells (or its introduction) for The Exorcist and it was used without his consultation.

Learn something new every day.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll check out some Vangelis, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiisus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one mentioned the Star Wars score?
It's pretty damn good IMO

"What other composers or soundtracks are worth checking out? John Williams comes obviously to mind...."
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack is a must-have.

That's worth it just for the Link Wray. Checking amazon now, it looks like Rumble is only on the "collector's edition," though, so heads up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love the score for The Last of the Mohicans (1992), which up until right now I had mistakenly attributed to Danny Elfman, but apparently he had nothing to do with that score. Hmm..

Not orchestral, but I really thought the sountrack for the German movie Lola, Rennt (Run Lola, Run) was fantastic.

Great movie - have to check that out, I don't remember the soundtrack. Makes me think of the Bourne movies, though (b/c of the actress). The soundtracks for those movies worked really well IN the movie, but something tells me they would be disappointing for just standalone listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oteil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned Clint Mansell, I have found this guy to be an amazing composer. Very emotional stuff .....he can be very melodic, but also creates some pretty thick ambient soundscapes. Some highlights of his that I can highly recommend are Requiem for a Dream,The Fountain, Smokin' Aces, Moon and Definitely,Maybe

Requiem for a Dream freaked me out so badly when I first saw it that I don't think I could listen to the soundtrack again. I listened to Summer Overture (Kronos quartet) yest. on youtube and it really did start to bring the whole thing back. Holy sh!t, that was one harrowing movie!
eek.gif
I loved the music though, and the movie, too. It just gave me freaky nightmares for weeks, not kidding. It's like a curse to be attracted to the things that whack you out the most (I tend to have the same problem with women :-o
tongue_smile.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Braveheart, James Horners back to Titanic and the original release, Lord of the Rings,Twin peaks is amazing, gladiator, Star Wars, the piano, Pride and Prejudice if it has a soundtrack.

There is also a few great game soundtracks as well. One that is really superb is Advent Risings soundtrack! It´s good on any level. Outcasts soundtrack was great as well and about 10 year ahead of everyone else using full orchestras for game music
smily_headphones1.gif

Twin Peaks! Haven't thought of that in a long time. That was some creepy good music. Pride and Prejudice does have a soundtrack, that was one that I actually had considered. It seems that none of the period ball music is on the CD though, so that kind of sucks. Maybe there were copyright issues or something, because those few scenes were a musical highlight of the movie, imo.

I'm not a gamer so I never would have thought about game soundtracks. A few people have mentioned them, so those also go on the list to check out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently, Surrogates OST, Avatar OST (James Horner), The Dark Knight Soundtrack (Zimmer+James Newton Howard), Transformers (Steve Jablonsky), Angels and Demons (Zimmer), Star Trek (Michael Giacchino) YouTube - Star Trek XI - Enterprising Young Men

One of my particular favorites, is the Crimson Tide soundtrack (Zimmer).
YouTube - Crimson Tide - Theme

Alright, let me just list my favorite Zimmer OSTs...

Gladiator, Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, The Last Samurai, King Arthur, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (w/James Newton Howard), Pirates Of the Caribbean (2 & 3, since Badelt did the 1st one)

Also, LOTR series (Howard Shore) is classic, as well as the Harry Potter film OSTs

Trailer music is also very good.

YouTube - Guardians At The Gate - audiomachine: Platinum Series III:Eterna (New "Avatar" Trailer)

Zimmer is fast becoming the man. Gladiator and Last Samurai were fantastic - he's definitely on my short list for more titles.

Great suggestions everyone, cheers.
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 162
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #22 of 162
Dec 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Zimmer is fast becoming the man. Gladiator and Last Samurai were fantastic - he's definitely on my short list for more titles.

Zimmer is the man of late. =0

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #29 of 162
wow...i was listening to the Dark Knight soundtrack today and track#1 (why so serious?) has some amazing low end parts right around the 3:25 mark...for the first time ever I actually "felt" the bass using my westone 3's out of my ipod....so i immediately had to listen to that song again using my hd580's and it is sooooo good.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #30 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis did some good OST albums for various movies. I love them.
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis ~ Works

Greatest musicians to come out of Australia.

Alright, I'll shoot more your way.

The Seatbelts did jazzy compositions for Cowboy Bebop. I don't reckon it's that amazing but Jazz isn't really my thing so I might be wrong.

Michael Nyman did a really beautiful soundtrack for The Piano. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piano_(soundtrack)

Joe Hisaishi is quite a prolific composer with over a hundred film scores under his belt. Most famous for composing pieces for Studio Ghibli.

For ****s and giggles, try the Protomen's self-titled and Act II: The Father of Death

Users who are viewing this thread

Back