MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 2,891
I don’t subscribe until my AD upgrades to AP. 
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 2,891
  I have Alpha Prime and original AD here for just a while longer. Feel free to ask questions while I can still AB them. 

Is the change mostly in the sound stage? Or is the fequency response significantly different?

I ask because a lot of people have an issue with the rolled off higher frequencies on the AD, and I was wondering if the AD Prime's changes have a noticeable effect.

Disclaimer: I just got my original AD's in on Monday, but I may upgrade down the road after I graduate from college in December. I really like how balanced and controlled the AD sounds compared to my HD600.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 2,891
  Is the change mostly in the sound stage? Or is the fequency response significantly different?

I ask because a lot of people have an issue with the rolled off higher frequencies on the AD, and I was wondering if the AD Prime's changes have a noticeable effect.

Disclaimer: I just got my original AD's in on Monday, but I may upgrade down the road after I graduate from college in December. I really like how balanced and controlled the AD sounds compared to my HD600.

Huh? Most people that I know, find the AD treble slight peaky in the upper treble, which was the catalyst for the doggie treats. So I'm not sure that we're on the same page about that. 

Sound stage is improved and less congestion is part of what the Prime brings to the table. Also, the is a naturalness about the signature that gets rid of the slight grain found in the original. The Prime is just a pleasure to enjoy music with. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 2,891

Huh? Most people that I know, find the AD treble slight peaky in the upper treble, which was the catalyst for the doggie treats. So I'm not sure that we're on the same page about that. 

Sound stage is improved and less congestion is part of what the Prime brings to the table. Also, the is a naturalness about the signature that gets rid of the slight grain found in the original. The Prime is just a pleasure to enjoy music with. 

The reason that I ask is that several people in this thread have classified the Alpha as a 'darker' headphone, maybe there was a revision of the AD with some doggie treats installed that they received? 

In my personal opinion I don't really have an problem with the AD's treble, it's very fatigue free to my ears compared to some some Shure and beyers that I've tried.

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #20 of 2,891
  I have Alpha Prime and original AD here for just a while longer. Feel free to ask questions while I can still AB them. 

Since you're soliciting questions.............is the bass more like a dynamic now?  Compare it to a Denon D5000 (which I think you had).  And how does it sound out of vintage iron?  Assuming you still have a piece. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 2,891
Matt how well does the Gungnir/ Mjolnir run the AD Prime? Just curious thanks.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 2,891
Bass is still linear and will sound different than the d5k which will color the bass pretty consistently. The bass on the Prime is tightened and slightly extended over the original. It's great bass honestly. Lot's of texture and not just "one note" bass. 

Both the AD and the Prime responded nicely to vintage receivers, especially the Pioneers vintage 1970's (and others as well of course). 

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #23 of 2,891
Matt how well does the Gungnir/ Mjolnir run the AD Prime? Just curious thanks.

Great combo!! The Prime loves the power of the mjo/gun. Pricey but worth it IMO. The lyr2 I am also impressed with but my favorite has been the mjo/gun with incredible detail retrieval and toe tapping musicality. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 2,891
Great combo!! The Prime loves the power of the mjo/gun. Pricey but worth it IMO. The lyr2 I am also impressed with but my favorite has been the mjo/gun with incredible detail retrieval and toe tapping musicality. 

Cool that is good to hear, I have been tempted by that combo.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 2,891
  Bass is still linear and will sound different than the d5k which will color the bass pretty consistently. The bass on the Prime is tightened and slightly extended over the original. It's great bass honestly. Lot's of texture and not just "one note" bass. 

Both the AD and the Prime responded nicely to vintage receivers, especially the Pioneers vintage 1970's (and others as well of course). 

Just picked up a Belles Amp One today as a speaker amp alternative to my Lyr 2. Dave Belle's and excellent designer, a design and SQ very close to my big Krell Amp. It's 100 @ 8, 200 @ 4, and 400 @ 2, and will drive a 1 ohm load, high current, deep, authoritative bass, and a sweet top end, and it will be set up in my computer audio room, along with a HiFiman HE-Adapter. It's recently been recapped, looking forward to using it with my current Alpha Dogs, HE560, and future Prime and HE6 replacement.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #27 of 2,891

Just picked up a Belles Amp One today as a speaker amp alternative to my Lyr 2. Dave Belle's and excellent designer, a design and SQ very close to my big Krell Amp. It's 100 @ 8, 200 @ 4, and 400 @ 2, and will drive a 1 ohm load, high current, deep, authoritative bass, and a sweet top end, and it will be set up in my computer audio room, along with a HiFiman HE-Adapter. It's recently been recapped, looking forward to using it with my current Alpha Dogs, HE560, and future Prime and HE6 replacement.

Now you're talkin....sounds like a great amp, pictures please!  I have been enjoying both of my Denon's off of speaker taps!

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 2,891
If I found the Alpha Dogs bass light, will I think that of the Prime too? I am not looking for basshead phones. I want something that has sufficient impact and extension. I found the Alpha Dogs lacking in bass quantity when compared to my T1s which themselves are not bass-head phones. 

For the record: My previous headphones are the Mad Dog 3.2 and the T1 both of which had enough bass for me. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #29 of 2,891
The Prime has great bass. Certainly an upgrade from the AD. The only bass that I've liked better is lcd2.2 pre-fazor. But Prime is in the neighborhood. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 2,891
Wow that's a huge call. Close to LCD 2.2!! 

Now I'm definitely interested.  :)

I need a good balanced headphone for my upcoming Geek Pulse X. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back