MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 2,891
I trying to keep my posts that pertain to Alpha Prime here instead of spreading around in various threads. 
I also did hear the TH500RP at RMAF  Dan can do better.

What is amazing to me is that Dan does not have all the resources of a big corporation in developing a product.  Dan has the advantage that he answers to no one. That allows him to have a single focus on what the next headphone should sound like and to succeed with far less resources. It does takes a bit of experimenting to find out what tweaks or changes in materials that will give a better quality of sound. That is something a computer program will not have all the answers. In the end it takes an artist to create a wonderful sounding headphone. More to come.

Well said sir, it's Incredible Dan has the drive and vision to create such great headphones. I have yet to hear the prime but I shall purchase a set if Dan can not upgrade my Alpha Dog's.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #47 of 2,891
Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alpha Primes in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

I also picked up a Wywires red cable and adaptors from Alex andeven  used my X5 and iFi micro iDSD to play them in my hotel room before I flew out on Monday......

Anyway... While I really can't compare them to the other 'dogs', I gotta say that these are special.  I have to do lots more break-in for both them and the cable, but me likey mucho much-o so far....  and I am psyched to see where they end up, if they're gonna get even better than they are now.

Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #48 of 2,891
  Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alphas in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

I also picked up a Wywires red cable and adaptors from Alex andeven  used my X5 and iFi micro iDSD to play them in my hotel room before I flew out on Monday......

Anyway... While I really can't compare them to the other 'dogs', I gotta say that these are special.  I have to do lots more break-in for both them and the cable, but me likey mucho much-o so far....  and I am psyched to see where they end up, if they're gonna get even better than they are now.

Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  
biggrin.gif

Are you talking about Prime's or Alpha Dogs? 

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #52 of 2,891
Can't wait! :)

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #55 of 2,891
Oct 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #56 of 2,891
  which is better for edm music the mad dog pro or alpha prime

That is a interesting question because the criterion of what you like for edm music on headphones can be different for users that are used to hearing acoustical music and goes to unamplifyed live concerts.

Do you you prefer headphones with extra bass slam or a flat response?
Do you prefer super low distortion on edm music and what is that exactly?
Do you prefer a natural clear vivid soundstage or a extra large soundstage created for you?
Do you want headphones to be super revealing and will that make a big difference with edm music?

You have to decide what sonic characteristics are important for you and go from there. What headphones did you like in the past and did not like may give you clues on what you aiming for on new headphones.

P.S. Base on what I am reading the mad dog pro may be the better choice for edm since it is tune to give a bit more bass. The prime might be a bit of a overkill for edm. For example I would not use my Stax headphone for listening to edm type of music because it is not designed to showcase edm music in the best fun way.  On the other hand the Prime can showcase other kinds of music far, far better than mad dog pro can. I have not tested my prime with edm music and maybe other users can chip in.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #57 of 2,891
  That is a interesting question because the criterion of what you like for edm music on headphones can be different for users that are used to hearing acoustical music and goes to unamplifyed live concerts.

Do you you prefer headphones with extra bass slam or a flat response?
Do you prefer super low distortion on edm music and what is that exactly?
Do you prefer a natural clear vivid soundstage or a extra large soundstage created for you?
Do you want headphones to be super revealing and will that make a big difference with edm music?

You have to decide what sonic characteristics are important for you and go from there. What headphones did you like in the past and did not like may give you clues on what you aiming for on new headphones.

P.S. Base on what I am reading the mad dog pro may be the better choice for edm since it is tune to give a bit more bass. The prime might be a bit of a overkill for edm. For example I would not use my Stax headphone for listening to edm type of music because it is not designed to showcase edm music in the best fun way.  On the other hand the Prime can showcase other kinds of music far, far better than mad dog pro can. I have not tested my prime with edm music and maybe other users can chip in.

wow lots of question, i like the audeze lcd2 which i have, but as u know its not maybe ideal for edm

like bass slam, and i like to have nice mids and warmth in the sound sig, with a good soundstage, as to super revealing i don't know as i like to just enjoy the music and if its better to get a more forgiving headphone then maybe i don't like it to be to revealing as most music these days are recorded in not super quality anyways

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #58 of 2,891
I listen to alot of EDM with my alpha dog, and I have to say that the bass quality with the sounds stage makes me almost feel like I'm standing in the stage of a high end club environment. I'm very impress with the AD bass quality. While my hifiman HE-400 has more bass, the AD beats it in quality.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #59 of 2,891
Can the Alpha Prime be considered a TOTL Headphone? 

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #60 of 2,891
Can the Alpha Prime be considered a TOTL Headphone? 

According to Michael Mercer's review on headphone.guru, yes.

Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alpha Primes in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  :D  

Impressions with the micro iDSD please :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back