Need help to find my path - hd650/600 vs K7xx vs Fidelio x2 vs Ath-Msr7 ?
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

oopeteroo

500+ Head-Fier
HI

first of all,  I cant try any headphones/amps out before purchasing, so all i can do is trust you guys.
I will mainly use the headphone with amp on my laptop for listening to music.
I listens to anything but mostly kpop, cpop, jpop, ballad, female vocal music and paino music

i have listed it down to the following headphones combos.
But i dont know which one to choose, please help me out :p
The price doesnt really matter but i would like to limit it to the price of these combos.

hd650 + good synergy amp (bottlehead crack? heard this one is good)

hd600 + good synergy amp (bottlehead crack? heard this one is good)

k7xx + good synergy amp

x2 + good synergy amp

Msr7 + good synergy amp (AT-HA22TUBE? heard this one is good)

other are welcome as well

which one of these combo will be best for me ?
which one of these will get the most worth of the money i spend ?

im leaning more to hd650 or hd600 with bottlehead crack or project ember.
But will the hd600 sound as good as hd650 will bottlehead ? Do they scales as good with bottlehead crack ?

And the other combo will they sound as good as hd650 + bottlehead crack with theirs respective matched amp ?

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 43
I understand the HD 650s sound great with the Schiit Valhalla 2.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 43
  anyone know about k7xx vs fidelio x2 ?

Wow, those two have about as opposite of a sound signature as you can find.  X2 favors the bass, and is de-emphasixed and a little rolled off at the top end, with a rich, somewhat thick midrange.  K7xx is light (too light IMO) in the bass, and has an empahsized top end.  Very detailed but can easily get sibilant, and fatiguing.  Mid-range is thin and analytical.  If you like one, you won't like the other. and amps can only do so much to modify the sound.

These are your two "riskiest" picks, because they sit somewhat at the extreme ends of the sound spectrum.  If you go for one of them, make sure you have a good return policy.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 43
   Wow, those two have about as opposite of a sound signature as you can find.  X2 favors the bass, and is de-emphasixed and a little rolled off at the top end, with a rich, somewhat thick midrange.  K7xx is light (too light IMO) in the bass, and has an empahsized top end.  Very detailed but can easily get sibilant, and fatiguing.  Mid-range is thin and analytical.  If you like one, you won't like the other. and amps can only do so much to modify the sound.

These are your two "riskiest" picks, because they sit somewhat at the extreme ends of the sound spectrum.  If you go for one of them, make sure you have a good return policy.

thanks for the info, i didnt know that :p
i thought all the headphones i listed have somehow similar sound signature :p
i heard x2 have pretty good sound and  can beat hd650, but dont know if it can beat hd650+crack :p
i also had the annies once (think k7xx was based on it?)  and liked it over the hd650 with its vocal.
But i have not heard hd650/hd600 with crack or ember so i want to know if those headphone can go against it ?:p

i somehow got a picture in my head that hd650+crack is one of the good end game combo out there :p

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 43
For what it's worth, someone I know who bought both the HD 600 and X2 doesn't hear significant differences between them. Personally, I would choose the HD 600. The HD 650 may be your safest choice, since it's more forgiving.

I think the Schiit Magni 2 Uber (which I own) is a much better value than the Bottlehead Crack, though I suppose it depends on your sonic preferences.

What DAC are you using?

By the way, I like your avatar!

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 43
  For what it's worth, someone I know who bought both the HD 600 and X2 doesn't hear significant differences between them. Personally, I would choose the HD 600. The HD 650 may be your safest choice, since it's more forgiving.

I think the Schiit Magni 2 Uber (which I own) is a much better value than the Bottlehead Crack, though I suppose it depends on your sonic preferences.

What DAC are you using?

By the way, I like your avatar!

im using Audio-GD nbf-11.32 as an dac/amp combo
I aslo like ur avatar :D

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 43
  im using Audio-GD nbf-11.32 as an dac/amp combo
I aslo like ur avatar :D

Nice. So I guess you're going after the pleasant harmonic distortion of tubes since you already have a solid-state amp.

I'm assuming you recognize mine, but I don't know if yours is just a random online image or an actual character.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 43
http://diy.koenigs.dk/2014/03/02/bottlehead-crack-and-speedball-review/

biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 43

Nice. So I guess you're going after the pleasant harmonic distortion of tubes since you already have a solid-state amp.

I'm assuming you recognize mine, but I don't know if yours is just a random online image or an actual character.

na, i just want to find my end game combo for this time or something i can work towards to :p never heard tubes tho so im interested:p
there is so many headphones and amp combos but i cant try them all to see what i like best

actually i dont :p mine is misaka mikoto from Toaru Majutsu no Index

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 43
I have HD600 and X2 and I do notice what I would describe as a significant difference in the low end. The X2 is more full and deep in the bass. A good OTL like the crack won't work well with the X2 though, so if you want to go all tubes you best go for the Senns.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 43
  na, i just want to find my end game combo for this time or something i can work towards to :p never heard tubes tho so im interested:p
there is so many headphones and amp combos but i cant try them all to see what i like best

actually i dont :p mine is misaka mikoto from Toaru Majutsu no Index

Well, since you already know you like the 650 (or so it seems to me), I think it's your best bet.

Mine is Kurumu Kurono from Rosario + Vampire. (The manga was ten times better than the anime.)

If you look at my old avatars, you'll probably recognize some of them.

Can't believe I only vaguely recall the name of that one, despite watching between 70 and 100 days worth of anime and talking to lots of anime fans. Just added it to my impossibly long plan to watch list on my MAL profile.

OMG. I just looked Misaka Mikoto up on Google Images and instantly like her.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 43
  http://diy.koenigs.dk/2014/03/02/bottlehead-crack-and-speedball-review/

biggrin.gif

yeah i always read hd650+ crack is awsome :p
but i also like the mids a little better on annie than the hd650
and i also loved he500, x2 same sound?:p..........but with crack u never know xD

i really wish i could test all the headphones but i cant :p
  I have HD600 and X2 and I do notice what I would describe as a significant difference in the low end. The X2 is more full and deep in the bass. A good OTL like the crack won't work well with the X2 though, so if you want to go all tubes you best go for the Senns.

which one do u like more ? hd600 or x2 ?

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 43

Well, since you already know you like the 650 (or so it seems to me), I think it's your best bet.

Mine is Kurumu Kurono from Rosario + Vampire. (The manga was ten times better than the anime.)

If you look at my old avatars, you'll probably recognize some of them.

Can't believe I only vaguely recall the name of that one, despite watching between 70 and 100 days worth of anime and talking to lots of anime fans. Just added it to my impossibly long plan to watch list on my MAL profile.

OMG. I just looked Misaka Mikoto up on Google Images and instantly like her.

i did watch Rosario + Vampire a little but didnt like it :p lol thats not a small list there :p just like my manga list :p

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 43
I agree with OneBigUnion on the K7xx vs X2 assessment for the most part, and I have both headphones.   The K7xx  (I have K712) is more of a reference headphone. 
It's very clear and transparent, and has pretty fast and pretty accurate bass.  Soundstage is very good, overall comfort and weight are good also.   Needs some power to shine.  The downfall is the high-end, it's kind of bright and kind of fatiguing, at least with my Bifrost/Asgard 2 setup.  X2 is more engaging, has a fuller sounding bass and I'd say a wider soundstage.  It's not fatiguing at all, even for long listening sessions.  The K712 has the upper hand in treble clarity though, as the X2 is a little grainy way up at the top.  The X2 sounds great with any of the solid state amps, phones, iPads, etc that I have tried it with.  A little FiiO is plenty of power for it, although I think the Asgard 2 might be a better fit for it. The X2 has much fuller bass than the Senns, and I'm going to say it has a more "apparent" bass than the K712 which may edge it out in control if not by amount...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back