New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Oct 3, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 1,341
I have added some more pictures of the dac--got my digi camara to work again.

Well darn--they did not go through--must be something with audiogon.Send me your e-mail i will send them or let me know how i can post them here---you guys use a program?? for that because the site has min 25 k

http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc040072bd.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc040087ji.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc040097ic.jpg

New to using imageshack--not sure if i did this right--playing around with the shack right now

Well there they are--hope this helps

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #32 of 1,341
www.imageshack.us
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
I have added some more pictures of the dac--got my digi camara to work again.

Well darn--they did not go through--must be something with audiogon.Send me your e-mail i will send them or let me know how i can post them here---you guys use a program?? for that because the site has min 25 k

Roger,

E-mail the pictures to my e-mail address at adriankwok@hotmail.com, and I will upload them to my website (and post them).

:)

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #35 of 1,341
All the links are dead.. (the three you uploaded to Audiogon)

frown.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
All the links are dead.. (the three you uploaded to Audiogon)

frown.gif

I have some links on here to imageshack where you can see the dac better

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #37 of 1,341
OH FOR GOODNESS' SAKES! Here I'll host one on photobucket and post it, it's the one of the back-
chineseDACback.jpg

From this it looks like it has coax and optical (or is that USB?) digital in, and the analog outs are either RCA unbalanced (And a possible extra pair for a loop out) or Balanced XLR.

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 1,341
RogerWilco,
What models are the DIP8 chips on board?

The first post says the opamps are OPA2604 which is dual channel. I count 5 dip8 chips (2 in the headamp section and 3 in the dac section)and I wonder if they are all opamps. I only see the need for 3(1 for headamp and 2 for balanced DAC). The 3 in the DAC section are socketed which should allow easy opamp rolling. I doubt the headphone section is much more than a CMOY like amp, but I wonder what the second DIP8 chip is. Maybe an opamp acting like a buffer similar to the A47? The whole headphone section could probably be replaced with something better if you want to keep everything together. It looks like there would be room for a Pimeta in there.

Oct 3, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #40 of 1,341
chinese hifi is taking over! heh.. im definitely going to be placing an order for one of these babies.

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #41 of 1,341
Thank you for all of the pictures RogerWilco. And feel free to keep posting impressions as you get more familiar with the DAC.
biggrin.gif

I'm still not sure if I should order this or not. If I don't get the Benchmark then it's probably between this and the MicroDAC. The Micro has USB input which would be convenient, but this has balanced output which would be great for the future if I decide to go that route. The Micro carries a 2-year warranty, which is nice, whereas if this D.1 X Stereo DAC fails, it looks like I'm SOL.

I'll have to wait for more sound impressions.

Edit: Here is a link to the website that is printed on the board:

http://www.zhaolu.com/index1.htm

A direct link to the D.1.3 DAC (scroll to the bottom where it says "AD1852")

Not sure if this DAC is "D1.3" or "D1.3-L" though.

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #43 of 1,341
Thanks for the info--i took the pictures and did not notice there web site--lol--was in too much of a hurry,but thanks.I have never had a dac fail--they are no moving parts---but anything is possible.

I noticed on the face plate it has 24/96 on it is a small square--this is the previous model face plate.It looks like they are just using up all there remaining stock of face plates with latest model.Typical for small companies to do this.I had a very nice copland tube amp and they had the one model # on the front ,but on the back they had the next up model #----same thing and copland is somewhat larger and well known.

Because this dac is 24/192.

The dac does take time to break in.I never sit and listen untill i have some hours on a unit.There character always changes as it breaks in.

I will probuly change out some opamps soon to see if that makes much of a difference.Even though i really don't know what i am doing--thats why we have forums
biggrin.gif

I bet an Audiocom Superclock 3 from reference mods would take this dac to a new level!I sent a samsung HD-931 cd player off to doug at reference mods to mod the unit as a transport.He just made sure of the 75 ohm impedance
Installed a WBT nexgen rca for the coax and silver wire going to the board.Did not cost very much and should be a nice improvement.If not the HD-931 has darn good picture quality so it would go into the entertainment system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back