New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jun 14, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #151 of 216
I’ve my swing connected to the TV and I’ve not had any issues. Do you have them stacked? If you have one on top of the other put the amp on top, that way the heat goes away instead of heating the DAC.

Exactly, I used them stacked, and the DAC was above the AMP, and still the above happening, I have them now besides each other but still happens. Not every time, but like 1-3 month once or twice. When I played PUBG like in 4 month ago, this "muting" happened twice in a single match, tho the AMP - DAC was not stacked together.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #152 of 216
Anyone experiencing some seriously high temperatures with the SWING or BANG? If I put the two unit together, like top of each other after a 4-6 hour of gameplay / spotify / music listening some reason the SWING mutes himself. Without any warning the music, or the gamesound mutes and I have to turn it off, and turn it back the DAC, and after that I again have sound. No matter if I run the SWING with default Windows drivers, or the XMOS still happens. Also maybe I got a "faulty" SWING because the little led indicator (or menu..) the "PCB" label icon in the left corner flashing, from the very first turn on.
- After a longer listening session my Swing mutes himself and have to turn off and then back on to make it work again.

Those options in the menu like the FIR FILTER, LP SLOW/ LP FAST, DE-EMPHASIS should I tweak here something or no? I am mainly listening FLAC, sometimes youtube / spotify, and very rarely DSD music.

Cheers,
kebccy
High temperature is normal, I wouldn't worry about that.
I just got the Swing yesterday and have already experienced the audio-mute, the dac was recognized in the device manager and shown in the Audirvana, but no sound was coming out. This happened with the cold Swing, so I don't think it has to do anything with the temperature. After turn off and then turn on, everything went normal. I think it might be some auto-protection circuit which reacts under certain circumstances, but definitely not under the heat.
For the filters, there are plenty of explanations on the web and you can read an excellent post with measurements from @raoultrifan here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-changeable-opamps.894619/page-15#post-147823

Generally for listening with loudspeakers, try LP Fast, for listening with the headphones and gaming try MP Fast, because of the lower latency. De-Emphasis turned OFF, and DPLL set to the lowest. Btw. PCM filters don't have any effect on DSD.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #153 of 216
High temperature is normal, I wouldn't worry about that.
I just got the Swing yesterday and have already experienced the audio-mute, the dac was recognized in the device manager and shown in the Audirvana, but no sound was coming out. This happened with the cold Swing, so I don't think it has to do anything with the temperature. After turn off and then turn on, everything went normal. I think it might be some auto-protection circuit which reacts under certain circumstances, but definitely not under the heat.
For the filters, there are plenty of explanations on the web and you can read an excellent post with measurements from @raoultrifan here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-changeable-opamps.894619/page-15#post-147823

Generally for listening with loudspeakers, try LP Fast, for listening with the headphones and gaming try MP Fast, because of the lower latency. De-Emphasis turned OFF, and DPLL set to the lowest. Btw. PCM filters don't have any effect on DSD.

Wow, thank you DjBobby for the detailed answer, and now you just made me happy, I mean, not happy but calmed me down cause I thought this problem occurs only with my SWING. I have exactly the same problem, just I am worried what causing this problem. As you said it reacts under "certain"2 circumstances tho what kind of? This is my main problem source.

I will try out your suggestions about the "tweaks"!!

Thank you!

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #154 of 216
Wow, thank you DjBobby for the detailed answer, and now you just made me happy, I mean, not happy but calmed me down cause I thought this problem occurs only with my SWING. I have exactly the same problem, just I am worried what causing this problem. As you said it reacts under "certain"2 circumstances tho what kind of? This is my main problem source.

Thank you!
I got the Swing only yesterday, so I have testing period ahead. I am on OSX, using the Macbook Pro, so it is definitely not the drivers. As soon as I find out what it could be, will share my findings.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #155 of 216
I got the Swing only yesterday, so I have testing period ahead. I am on OSX, using the Macbook Pro, so it is definitely not the drivers. As soon as I find out what it could be, will share my findings.

Windows 10 1803, used before the XMOS Burson driver tho changed to default Windows driver cause I am lazy to use the XMOS Burson driver, and I have it for now like 2-3 month so it's already burned in, and have to admit it have a different sound than the PLAY. Not as much as I expected, but different.

Next upgrade for me will be a Tubed DAC/AMP.

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #156 of 216

Thank you!
Try to play with the buffer settings in audio control panel. Try a safer setting to rule this out.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #157 of 216
Anyone experiencing some seriously high temperatures with the SWING or BANG? If I put the two unit together, like top of each other after a 4-6 hour of gameplay / spotify / music listening some reason the SWING mutes himself. Without any warning the music, or the gamesound mutes and I have to turn it off, and turn it back the DAC, and after that I again have sound. No matter if I run the SWING with default Windows drivers, or the XMOS still happens. Also maybe I got a "faulty" SWING because the little led indicator (or menu..) the "PCB" label icon in the left corner flashing, from the very first turn on.[...]

You should probably open up computer's case immediately and check SWING's temperatures, ideally with an IR thermometer or simply put your hand on top/bottom/sides. Of course, a digital multi-meter with temperature sensor should do very well here, just place the sensor inside (use scotch tape to get it stick to the SWING) and leave the cable out and connected to the DMM; don't forget to close the case gently, without breaking sensor's cable!

If SWING is on top of BANG, then you should leave some space between those (1 unit, if possible) or be sure you have a good ventilation inside the case, ideally would be positive ventilation (more intake than outake). Also, if using 4-Ohms speakers, maybe it you could just leave BANG out of your computer. In my review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-bang.23274/reviews?page=2#review-20790 I was able to fit PLAY and BANG inside the same computer case and the temps were actually lower inside the case than outside, on the desk. Of course, the cooling system of this specific workstation is not a regular one, so this helped a lot; although, notice that there is one unit distance between PLAY and BANG to allow proper ventilation!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #158 of 216
You should probably open up computer's case immediately and check SWING's temperatures, ideally with an IR thermometer or simply put your hand on top/bottom/sides. Of course, a digital multi-meter with temperature sensor should do very well here, just place the sensor inside (use scotch tape to get it stick to the SWING) and leave the cable out and connected to the DMM; don't forget to close the case gently, without breaking sensor's cable!

If SWING is on top of BANG, then you should leave some space between those (1 unit, if possible) or be sure you have a good ventilation inside the case, ideally would be positive ventilation (more intake than outake). Also, if using 4-Ohms speakers, maybe it you could just leave BANG out of your computer. In my review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-bang.23274/reviews?page=2#review-20790 I was able to fit PLAY and BANG inside the same computer case and the temps were actually lower inside the case than outside, on the desk. Of course, the cooling system of this specific workstation is not a regular one, so this helped a lot; although, notice that there is one unit distance between PLAY and BANG to allow proper ventilation!

The BANG and the SWING is on my desk, I did not installed them into my computer because of the temperature. I already owned before a PLAY but never experienced before this kind of high temperature. Now both of my Units are separated from each other like there is at least 10 cm between the two. Both of the working fine.

Jun 27, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #160 of 216
I have just posted my review of the Swing. You can read it here: "Sleeping Beauty".
Nice review. I have a Burson Swing coming and I plan on using the "Everest" configuration myself. I ordered the basic version as I have the needed V6 op-amps on hand. I'm currently using the V6 Classics in the Fun. So I'm expecting some great things with the Swing/Fun combo.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #162 of 216
Nice review. I have a Burson Swing coming and I plan on using the "Everest" configuration myself. I ordered the basic version as I have the needed V6 op-amps on hand. I'm currently using the V6 Classics in the Fun. So I'm expecting some great things with the Swing/Fun combo.
Thanks. That's exactly how I am using it, Everest Swing with the V6 Classics Fun.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #163 of 216
@Slim1970, FUN uses single-opamps, while SWING/PLAYAMATE use duals.
However, I suggest Classics in I/V, Vivids in Voltage-Gain/Low-Pass.
Yep, I have dual V6 Classics ready to go into the I/V stage and V6 Vivids ready to go in the LP stage. It should be an awesome experience. I'll see how it compares to the Hugo 2 after I get a feel for the Swing's sound. Sometimes I find the Hugo 2 to be to unforgiving and revealing. It takes away from me just enjoying the music. It's technical abilities are top notch but sometimes I want a warmer but detailed sound with excellent clarity. I'm hoping this is what the Swing will give me.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #165 of 216
I got my Swing, which makes a home run with Fun that also I have.
With vivid installed on Fun, Swing generates sound field having feeling of spaciousness and vividness.
I think Burson knows what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back