New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,546 of 1,588
Yea the E17 should suffice. You should be able to demo the m100 at Brookstones store (a US store) if you haven't already heard it before. D7100 is super comfortable also. Not sure about the fit of any of these given I have a large head myself. Also keep in mind that I am in the minority for my opinion on the m100 so u should definitely demo it yourself.

I have a pair of M100's already. Leaning towards the HD700 at the moment, since I know Sennheiser usually keep the small headed in mind. I've never had a problem with Senns before.
These aren't larger than the say, HD 650, right?
Still nervous about whether or not the E17 can drive them properly. 
What's nice about the D7100 is that they're so easy to drive.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,547 of 1,588
I have a pair of M100's already. Leaning towards the HD700 at the moment, since I know Sennheiser usually keep the small headed in mind. I've never had a problem with Senns before.
These aren't larger than the say, HD 650, right?
Still nervous about whether or not the E17 can drive them properly. 
What's nice about the D7100 is that they're so easy to drive.

I don't believe they're bigger fit-wise. 150ohm isn't that hard to drive. Most amps should be able to do it no problem.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,548 of 1,588
I don't believe they're bigger fit-wise. 150ohm isn't that hard to drive. Most amps should be able to do it no problem.

Hm, going with the HD700's then. Thanks for the help. Are they so open that I'll hear everything straight through when music is on?
(I've never owned an open can.)
A little worried if the clamping force will be enough for my small head. Guess I'll have to wait and see or see if they have an audition unit somewhere in Sweden. 
Thanks again.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,550 of 1,588
Hm, going with the HD700's then. Thanks for the help. Are they so open that I'll hear everything straight through when music is on?
A little worried if the clamping force will be enough for my small head. Guess I'll have to wait and see or see if they have an audition unit somewhere in Sweden. 
Thanks again.

You mostly hear other things around you with the 700s but it will be slightly quieter.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,551 of 1,588
Thanks again.

The 700 is awesome fit, comfort and clamp should be ideal for you.

You will hear everything around you, as they are truly very open, but with music playing you'll be fine unless you're in a very noisy area. I personally loved them and out of a good vintage amp the bass was way better than I expected.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,552 of 1,588
The 700 is awesome fit, comfort and clamp should be ideal for you.

You will hear everything around you, as they are truly very open, but with music playing you'll be fine unless you're in a very noisy area. I personally loved them and out of a good vintage amp the bass was way better than I expected.

Oh, so they're good for small heads then? That's how I interpreted what you said at least. :) 
Well, I'm only going to wear them at home, so not very noisy but my neighbours play loud music sometimes, not sure if that'll be a problem.
I have the M100's if I'm in a superbass mood but I rarely am. Lack of bass would be a problem though, but that's not what I've head about the HD 700. I'm going to a store in an hour to see if I can audition them, not sure if they're keen on opening the box just for me to try the fit though.

Edit: Went to try them but they were all out. Got to try the 598, 518 and the 650 and they all fit nicely so I think I'll gamble on the chance that the HD700 will fit as well, thanks again for all your help. :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,553 of 1,588
Which way do you wear your D7100

Like this? 

0802-00300-002b1.jpg

Or like this?

c26-B00858I560-2-l.jpg

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,555 of 1,588
Are we sure that D600 and D7100 drivers are identical ?
Just got mine for $200 cdn and will take out the driver and put it on my beyer headband/cups.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,557 of 1,588
I think mids are recessed like th900.
I prefer d7000 over both th900/d7100.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,558 of 1,588
I have been using D7100 for over 500 hours and it satisfies my taste right now. Solid lows and bright highs. Although I think mid is not enough for me on Jazz.

You might want to look into picking up a pair of the D600's. I like them a lot for Jazz and the mids are good -- probably because the bass isn't as elevated as the D7100s. I got mine on clearance at BestBuy for $150; should be able to pick them up for around that in the For Sale Thread or on Ebay -- a great value at that price!

The graphs from HeadRoom seem to confirm what you're hearing.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,559 of 1,588
I think mids are recessed like th900.
I prefer d7000 over both th900/d7100.

This depends on how much deep bass that is in the music. I find if i listen to music with little low end bass - it is a great headphone - airy, delicte and the miods are great. But when the bass kicks in, I have to turn down the volume, necessarily leaving the mids less dominant... Problem with these cans is that they have a subwoofer kicking in beliw 50 hz or something (seems to correspond to the graph) But except that, I have grown to become a big fan of these. Just not with all tracks..

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,560 of 1,588
I've finally heard the Denon AH-D600 and I don't understand the negative hype behind them. They are very pleasant to listen to and sound more open than a standard closed can. Listening to my Chesky FLAC tracks has been pretty incredible. I've heard quite a few headphones (nothing over ~$750 for any extended period), and these rank somewhere in the Sennheiser HD650 range for Closed headphones in terms of audio quality (perhaps somewhere between the HD598 and HD650, if I'm completely honest). If you want to kill some of the bass, you can slap velour Brainwavz HM5 pads on these and they open up further while letting some of the bass out.

I am a basshead, so I don't want to do that. I picked up some of the new Brainwavz Angled and Hybrid pads to try them out. At $300 on Amazon, these seem like a solid deal to me. They were definitely overpriced when they came out at about twice that--which maybe is where the hate came from in combination with the betrayal of audiophile trust when Denon got rid of their previous beloved line of 'phones and focused too much on modern styling. I suppose they also wouldn't fit well on a smaller head. BH has them used for an absolute steal. 

I found these to be surprisingly good compared to the vitriol I've seen on Head-Fi and elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back