New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,561 of 1,588
I've finally heard the Denon AH-D600 and I don't understand the negative hype behind them. They are very pleasant to listen to and sound more open than a standard closed can...I found these to be surprisingly good compared to the vitriol I've seen on Head-Fi and elsewhere.

Definitely agree with this. They're my #1 Basshead cans; dethroned my DT770s.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,563 of 1,588

?? AH-D600 doesn't have much bass. Your number bass head headphone is TH900 ! quality and low sub-bass, really beautiful bass. AH-D600 bass is just garbage (sorry but true) compare to Fostex IMO,

D600 is good for movies and pop imo,

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,564 of 1,588
?? AH-D600 doesn't have much bass. Your number bass head headphone is TH900 ! quality and low sub-bass, really beautiful bass. AH-D600 bass is just garbage (sorry but true) compare to Fostex IMO,

Ummm...settle down big fella!

The operative word was "MY"; meaning that out of the 'basshead' cans I own, the D600 is now my favorite 'basshead' can -- yes, significantly better to my ears than my DT770 across the spectrum.

Anyway, glad you like your TH900's! Guess I'll just have to settle for my 'garbage' DH600. :wink:

Of course, there is that minor difference in price...got my D600's for $150 (NIB) and I'm thinking the TH900s may be a wee bit more expensive (8 to 10x).

FWIW, I'd never pay anywhere near that much for a basshead can...not my thing; good for you, though!

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,565 of 1,588

The operative word was "MY"; meaning that out of the 'basshead' cans I own, the D600 is now my favorite 'basshead' can -- yes, significantly better to my ears than my DT770 across the spectrum.

Anyway, glad you like your TH900's! Guess I'll just have to settle for my 'garbage' DH600. :wink:

Of course, there is that minor difference in price...got my D600's for $150 (NIB) and I'm thinking the TH900s may be a wee bit more expensive (8 to 10x).

FWIW, I'd never pay anywhere near that much for a basshead can...not my thing; good for you, though!

Sorry for that word garbage, i wanted to express how amazing bass TH900 has, but for me $1500 doesn't justify especially I got my D600 for about $160 USD brand new.

I am going to slowly sell all my headphones after hearing SVS PB13 Ultra ^^.

If you love the bass get two SVS PB13s ! it's an amazing sub woofer.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,566 of 1,588
No offense taken...was just making light of it. TBH, am pretty sure I'd really like the TH900s but only occasionally listen to the types of music that would let them really shine.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,567 of 1,588

They are the #1 basshead cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Huh??? The new Denon series basshead cans? You gotta be kidding me!
I have the D7100 and though I don't dislike it as much as the people destroying it at launch here on HF ther's one thing I can confirm and that is that they're not bassy at all.

Fully agree but not in the same price range. I only use the D7100 for movies and the occasional game as well, they're not worth it for music compared to some other (both cheap and expensive) cans I have

Your best basshead can or not, they're severely lacking in the bass area. Conclusion: you'd like a basshead can but don't have one.
So now the amount of bass relates to higher prices? Take some of the cheapest and crappiest phones there are (Beats, Bose) and you'll get all the bass you want.
The only thing price CAN and "on occasion" DOES relate to is quality, be it in the overall sound, bass, mids, highs or build. 
But hey, if you think the new Denon line is good quality your wallet will thank you. Just never listen to something better like a TH-900 or the older Foster-Denons for example.

No offense taken...was just making light of it. TBH, am pretty sure I'd really like the TH900s but only occasionally listen to the types of music that would let them really shine.

There are no genres that don't make the TH-900 shine except for mid-centric vocal music for which it's mids can be a bit shy. Nothing Lawton can't fix though.  
size]
  Agreed, a W3000 will best it for vocal and an L3000 or rightly configured HD650 for badly recored older rock styles. That's due to the revealing nature of the beastie.

Likewise, there's no music that lets the new Denon line shine, unless you've never heard anything better like a simple $250 HD650 or even a B&W P7.
Remember, the D7100 was originally sold at $1200 before the bashing and can't compete with those multiple times cheaper phones. By far.

Edit: not trying to attack anyone here, just wouldn't want a new member reading some of the above posts and actually base a purchase on the info.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,568 of 1,588

Sorry for that word garbage, i wanted to express how amazing bass TH900 has, but for me $1500 doesn't justify especially I got my D600 for about $160 USD brand new.

I am going to slowly sell all my headphones after hearing SVS PB13 Ultra ^^.

If you love the bass get two SVS PB13s ! it's an amazing sub woofer.

That good sir, is an amazing sub for the price. I'm wanting one with martin Logan motion 60xt and some surround.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,569 of 1,588
I would love to hear the th900. If they have more quanity of bass I would not like them. The denons could definitely have better impact, speed, less bloat, not bleed, and that is just a few issues with the bass. For non technical listening, movies, and games, I would find the quantity of bass hard to beat.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #1,570 of 1,588
I would love to hear the th900. If they have more quanity of bass I would not like them. The denons could definitely have better impact, speed, less bloat, not bleed, and that is just a few issues with the bass. For non technical listening, movies, and games, I would find the quantity of bass hard to beat.

Get a TH600 and some wood cups for them. You'll get the same sound at a much lower cost. And you'll have that *I have custom stuff that nobody else has* feeling. 

Same driver discussion: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/hfn/fostex_th900_and_th600/

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,571 of 1,588
I usually ignore condescending rants like this but it was the 'Edit' statement at the end (ahem, not an attack...just looking out for the good of the new members) that made me think a 'dialogue' could prove entertaining and enlightening.

Disclaimer: Anyone reading this, especially new members that can't think (or hear) for themselves, please do not construe it as an attempt to influence your purchasing decisions!!!

On to the fun.

So...We get it you really, really -- really like Fostex!

Some context from Your Profiles' current Headphone Inventory

Have:
Fostex LA-900 Blackline Spalted Maple T1 BS
Fostex LA-900 Marbled African Ebony T5 BS
Fostex TH-900
B&W P7
Denon AH-D7100
Pioneer SE-Master 1
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Sennheiser HD650 Toxic Silver Widow

Some selected no longer haves:

Gone:
AKG K701
AKG K702
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Audio Technica ATH-W5000
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD800
Stax SR-007

Is it possible there's a pattern here? Maybe some FR Graphs could shed some light on this! :wink:
Of course, graphs don't tell the whole story -- but they can inform.

Here: Fostex, Old & New Denons

Gone: AT, AKG, Grado, Senn

Sidenote: saw on your profile you're considering the ATH-W5000...Wow! Might be worth reconsidering; just sayin'

Huh??? The new Denon series basshead cans? You gotta be kidding me!
I have the D7100 and though I don't dislike it as much as the people destroying it at launch here on HF ther's one thing I can confirm and that is that they're not bassy at all.

I'll let you pontificate on the Denon / Fostex FR graph

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't buy the 7100s for the same reason that I wouldn't buy the TH900 -- too much money for a bass oriented set of cans with so-so ('a bit shy') mids.
Looking at the FR Graph, one might be tempted to say that the D600 was the most balanced of the bunch. :-0

TBH, I would have never bought the D600s at $300, but for $150, I figured why not! At the time, I was looking at some reasonably priced Q40s. Recurring theme (for me anyway), don't spend alot on basshead cans.

Fully agree but not in the same price range. I only use the D7100 for movies and the occasional game as well, they're not worth it for music compared to some other (both cheap and expensive) cans I have

Yeah...never really got this kind of thinking. I can enjoy music on a pair of PortaPros or a set of bi-amped Tympanis (w/Sub of course!)

Your best basshead can or not, they're severely lacking in the bass area (graph). Conclusion: you'd like a basshead can but don't have one.

Huh? Can't fathom how you came to that Conclusion. Nonetheless, you may be right. I'm actually a 'closet basshead'..should just admit it and get some SZ2000s.

So now the amount of bass relates to higher prices? Take some of the cheapest and crappiest phones there are (Beats, Bose) and you'll get all the bass you want.
The only thing price CAN and "on occasion" DOES relate to is quality, be it in the overall sound, bass, mids, highs or build. 

Ummm...never said that amount of bass is related to high-price. Remember the recurring theme (for me anyway), don't pay a lot of money for basshead cans. For example, I think I could talk myself into a pair of SZ1000s but am still balking at the 2000s. Why? two things, $250 is too much for a basshead can, and also the 1000s are supposed to be less veiled than the 2000s.

But hey, if you think the new Denon line is good quality your wallet will thank you. Just never listen to something better like a TH-900 or the older Foster-Denons for example.

We get it you really, really....really like Fostex. BTW, what's your take on Denon dropping the Fostex drivers from their headphone line? :wink:

There are no genres that don't make the TH-900 shine except for mid-centric vocal music for which it's mids can be a bit shy. Nothing Lawton can't fix though. 

$1200+ and I have to mod them to get decent mids? C'mon -- seriously, C'mon. Not that I'm against modding...it's just that I'd rather take a $100 headphone and turn it into a $500 headphone that's an awesome value. In fact, I'm excited about the release this summer of the Fostex T50RPmk3's. Once they're out, I'll read some reviews and decide whether to get the mk2's to mod heavily or to get the mk3's and maybe tweak a thing or two about them.

Agreed, a W3000 will best it for vocal and an L3000 or rightly configured HD650 for badly recored older rock styles. That's due to the revealing nature of the beastie.

Two things here -- never mentioned the W3000's (hope they're better than the W5000's though!)...and Rightly Configured HD650s? I sincerely hope your talking about the Amp driving the HD650s and not Silver Cables?!

Likewise, there's no music that lets the new Denon line shine, unless you've never heard anything better like a simple $250 HD650 or even a B&W P7.
Remember, the D7100 was originally sold at $1200 before the bashing and can't compete with those multiple times cheaper phones. By far.

I'm guessing by this comment that you've listened extensively to the entire new Denon line before deeming it unworthy of even playing music...right?
In fact, I'm not really sure what you're slamming here...Denons, 'simple' HD650s (no silver cables?), B&W P7s, or just my lack of a TOTL headphone in my signature.

Anyway, I like my 'simple' HD650s but honestly like my HE400i's and HD600's better (heh, that should start another firestorm!)

Do me a favor and go over into the HD650 Impressions Thread and tell them how their 'simple' headphone sucks...I'll be the one posting the 'eating popcorn' icons.

Had planned on getting my first TOTL this Thanksgiving..but feeling pressure to step it up.
Anyway, here's the top 4 I'm considering...feel free to weigh in! No Fostex, though. Scratch that...I'd consider the Mr Speaker Alpha Prime. :wink:

Edit: not trying to attack anyone here, just wouldn't want a new member reading some of the above posts and actually base a purchase on the info.
Chuckle...

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,572 of 1,588

When I first got the D600, I had to eq down the bass @ 128 hz to reduce the bass rumble & improve clarity. I also tweaked other various settings such as compressor & now I have the musical sound impact I like - IMHO when setup on my portable rig; the D600 now sound as good as when I connect a d&b audio speaker system to the rig.

I'm sure the Fostex TH900 are superior however for me the cost & lack of detachable cables at that price make them impractical & less value for money than the DENONs.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,573 of 1,588
I usually ignore condescending rants like this but it was the 'Edit' statement at the end (ahem, not an attack...just looking out for the good of the new 
Chuckle...

popcorn.gif

When I first got the D600, I had to eq down the bass @ 128 hz to reduce the bass rumble & improve clarity. I also tweaked other various settings such as compressor & now I have the musical sound impact I like - IMHO when setup on my portable rig; the D600 now sound as good as when I connect a d&b audio speaker system to the rig.

I'm sure the Fostex TH900 are superior however for me the cost & lack of detachable cables at that price make them impractical & less value for money than the DENONs.

Viable opinions with which I can agree, or at least partially.
Allow me to elaborate a little tomorrow on the bass and what I think of it, just got home and a bit tired tonight. 

Intersting discussion though, especially since users managed to get the MSRP of a headphone to one third of what it originally was.
Talking about the D7100 here, which, I suppose, since it's both in name and (or certainly was) in price the bigger brother of the D600, both of the same brand.

For reference: I never thought the extreme bashing was justified. But I have them and certainly can't deny that it's original price wasn't, and even it's new price is, when compared to a HD650 that nowadays sells for €250 (and used to sell for €450), justified. Headphones (HD650) I do love by the way although my opinion of them has been completely twisted by one of the previous posters.

Oh yes ... we're talking new prices here. Used prices are useless for reference, theyr're dicatded by supply and demand, what the buyers want to pay and the sellers want to let them go for.

One thing that makes me wonder is: how can someone that thinks spending $1200  for mods on a $1200 headphone (100%) and spending $400 on a $100 headphone (400%) can be taken serious. And yes, I agree spending 100% on mods is bazooka but I'm glad I did and enjoy my phones all the more.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,574 of 1,588
AH-D7100 are as good as any on iPhone or other mobile device.

I also preferred it to my Grado RS1 with my iBasso DX100. Not always but generally speaking.

If I recall rightly, that is it's designed purpose. IMHO it does that purpose exceedingly well.

It was a rip-off to sell it at $1200 though.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,575 of 1,588
AH-D7100 are as good as any on iPhone or other mobile device.

I also preferred it to my Grado RS1 with my iBasso DX100. Not always but generally speaking.

If I recall rightly, that is it's designed purpose. IMHO it does that purpose exceedingly well.

It was a rip-off to sell it at $1200 though.

100% agree.  I own all the Denon early models (the top three anyway) and have owned both the 7100 and 600 and no matter how hard I tried to love the new models, just didn't enjoy them as much as the Fostex-built models.  Liked them, just didn't love them as I do the early models.

Regarding the bass - both the 7100 and 600 had ample bass and that was supported by the graphs I remember seeing - actually the 7100 had the most sub to mid bass if I remember correctly of all the 5 models.  Too bad they broke away from Fostex - it could have been an epic partnership (more than it was) if they had developed the next gen together..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back