New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,527 of 5,077
Suddenly I'm looking at how I'm going to use my DragonFly Red on a MacBook Pro with only the USB-C connection. I have to plug the DragonFly into an adapter? How's that working out for you DF people?

The Air's looking mighty appealing with that USB-A port and SD slot. And, as long as we're on the subject, what's going on in the world of USB-C headphones and amps? As far as I have Googled it, not much.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,528 of 5,077
Suddenly I'm looking at how I'm going to use my DragonFly Red on a MacBook Pro with only the USB-C connection. I have to plug the DragonFly into an adapter? How's that working out for you DF people?
I hear absolutely no difference whither my DF is plugged in directly to a PC USB 3.0 port or via a usb 3.0 hub.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,529 of 5,077
I hear absolutely no difference whither my DF is plugged in directly to a PC USB 3.0 port or via a usb 3.0 hub.
That's good to know but I still rather plug it right into the port. I thought there'd be more of a push from consumers to start moving to USB-C. In fact, I thought Audio Quest would have a USB-C version by now. But the process looks to be moving so slowly that I might as well get the MacBook Air with the old USB port and wait a few years for things to catch up.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,530 of 5,077
It would be a waste of the capabilities of USB C to have a single device like a Dragonfly connected to it. I'd get a USB hub and make full use of it.
I'm really tempted to get the new 2017 MBP. Still using a 2009 MBP here happily though and it's rock solid.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,532 of 5,077
It would be a waste of the capabilities of USB C to have a single device like a Dragonfly connected to it. I'd get a USB hub and make full use of it.

It seems like using a hub turns the MacBook into something more stationary and also kinda obviates one of the main reasons I bought the DF. I might as well get a desk amp. But maybe in practice I'd feel differently about it.

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,533 of 5,077
To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black. I ended up buying the Black with the JitterBug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's ever so slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output. So I saved myself some money choosing the black variant over the red one as I hadn't quite realized there was such a dramatic price difference between the two! What was the most surprising to me was that I honestly couldn't pinpoint any major improvement with either a Deckard or Benchmark DAC3 over the DragonFly Black... slowly coming to the realization (I am a slow learner) that anything beyond the DragonFly is simply overkill and well past that diminishing point of worthy returns.

I have the same feeling, looks mostly like an EQ applied on software on PC.Very disappointed.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #3,534 of 5,077
slowly coming to the realization (I am a slow learner) that anything beyond the DragonFly is simply overkill and well past that diminishing point of worthy returns.
You're going against one of my assumptions, which is that improving my amp will also improve dynamic range. For example, last night I played https://listen.tidal.com/album/71256100. Here's a thumbnail of the cover art:
Mahler.png

The dynamic range of this symphony is huge. In the tutti passages, especially at the end, the music began to clip/distort. At that point, I started wondering whether the problem was a) the microphone they used to record the symphony b) my headphones or 3) my amp (DragonFly Red). I settled on the latter and thought that getting a better amp would let me listen to the these passages without clipping or distortion. Was that assumption wrong? Anybody who knows more about amps than I do is welcome to give their two cents.

By the way, I'm not criticizing the DFR. There is only so much you can expect for $200.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #3,535 of 5,077
You're going against one of my assumptions, which is that improving my amp will also improve dynamic range. For example, last night I played https://listen.tidal.com/album/71256100. Here's a thumbnail of the cover art:

The dynamic range of this symphony is huge. In the tutti passages, especially at the end, the music began to clip/distort. At that point, I started wondering whether the problem was a) the microphone they used to record the symphony b) my headphones or 3) my amp (DragonFly Red). I settled on the latter and thought that getting a better amp would let me listen to the these passages without clipping or distortion. Was that assumption wrong? Anybody who knows more about amps than I do is welcome to give their two cents.

By the way, I'm not criticizing the DFR. There is only so much you can expect for $200.
Really depends on the headphones being used... my comment regarding the DFB being end-game for me was in relation to all of my headphones being 32 ohms or less (apologies for not being very clear on that part). With that said, if you are using your HD650s I still be very surprised that the DragonFly Red amp is clipping on you as it should be driving your HD650s to a 109 peak dB SPL... should be more than enough headroom for Mahler's Resurrection even at very loud listening levels.

~85 dB listening level with open backs + ~20 dB headroom for challenging dynamic classical pieces = ~105 dB (please note that this would be at an extremely loud listening level)

AQ DragonFly Red (DFR) - Power Output (Vmax) & Impedance: 2.1 Vrms (5.94 Vp-p) @ <1 ohm
SENN HD650 - Impedance & Sensitivity: 300 ohms @ 97.8 db/mW SPL (103 dB/V SPL)

I.) DFR Power Output with HD650: (2.1 Vrms * 2.1 Vrms)/300 ohms = 14.7 mW

II.) SPL from Power for HD650 & DFR: 97.8 dB/mW + 10 * LOG (14.7 mW) = 109.5 peak dB SPL

III.) SPL from Voltage for HD650 & DFR: 103 dB/V + 20 * LOG (2.1 Vrms) = 109.4 peak dB SPL​
I too would be interested in hearing any/all ideas/arguments regarding the DFR's (or DFB's) amp power output capabilities.

BTW: I particularly like the 2010 Sir Simon Rattle / BPO version of Mahler's Symphony No. 2 with a fondness of: V. Mit Aufschwung aber nicht eilen

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,536 of 5,077
Well now I have another question: What's going on? I went back to the very same recording (the MQA of Gergiev's Mahler's 2 streamed on Tidal via Audirvana using the very same MacBook) and played it using a different pair of headphones (M1060). I encountered no distortion or clipping. So I went back to the HE400i, the headphones I was using when I encountered the clipping/distortion, and tried to reproduce it. I couldn't. Any guesses as to why? These are new headphones and also a new DragonFly Red. It almost sounds like one or the other component had to open up to accommodate the extreme dynamics, like the amp or headphones were breaking in. But that's just a wild surmise. The informed opinion of others might help me solve this minor mystery.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,538 of 5,077
Could be. It sounded like the headphones weren't getting enough power or something. Sounded electrical. Anybody who has listened to speakers a lot would recognize the type of distortion I heard, like there was too much sonic information so you get some static on top. I kind of blamed the DragonFly but things are sounding fine now.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #3,539 of 5,077
Could be. It sounded like the headphones weren't getting enough power or something. Sounded electrical. Anybody who has listened to speakers a lot would recognize the type of distortion I heard, like there was too much sonic information so you get some static on top. I kind of blamed the DragonFly but things are sounding fine now.
Happy to hear that the problem has cleared up for you.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #3,540 of 5,077
Hello guys, happy user of both dragonfly red and black. I use them on my macbook, and iphone. My songs all come from Tidal HiFi. Right now I wanna get a good transport for these.

Is the most reliable mobile Tidal player on iOS? If this is the case i plan to get an ipod touch with good storage (maybe 64gb or 128gb). I heard android is glitchy especially on daps. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back