New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #556 of 1,792
Holy crap the ads are out of control on this version. I totally understand that the site I like has to support itself and provide revenue. I may have been spoiled in the past but some of the side ads are obnoxious. I wonder if there is a way to generate the same revenue without the ads overwhelming the viewer. It is not subtle at all and feels significantly more than other hobbyist sites.

Glad to see the site evolve and I am sure there are tons of great improvements that I may not have notices at first glance.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #557 of 1,792
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #558 of 1,792
You know what guys? I'm going to shut up now. I know, I know, finally, I got it.

In trying to defend the administrators, I've been a self-righteous p***k speaking down on others as if I was standing at a pulpit. I still think that my cause was just. I think the admins needed to hear some positive voices among the negative ones, because who likes that feeling of everyone being united against you? However, I should have stopped with my first post in this thread, but, instead, I didn't leave well enough alone and I was, admittedly, trying to fight what I called nastiness with nastiness. Self-righteous, elitist nastiness. I guess, as they say, anonymity really does bring our flaws to the surface, doesn't it? As evidenced from my posts in this thread, one of my flaws is that I am a judgemental person who likes to think that he is better than other people. I apologize to everybody who has been annoyed by my holier-than-thou postings. I also apologize to the admins if, by trying to help, I only made things worse.

Despite all the negative things I say about humans, I still like to think that, overall, people are good. And I will end this post on that more positive note. Sorry about the whiplash folks! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Y'all probably think I have mood swings or something!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #559 of 1,792
No sweat! I think lots of us are aware of all the bad things going on on a global level these days and that Head-Fi bugs are micro scaled issues compared to those. With some bad luck (for instance a North Korea escalation) we're lucky to have a thing like internet at all over time and unfortunatelly internet would turn out to be not even a primary necesitty in life when things start going wrong that badly. But I'm trying not to think about that all day as that would suck out all of the fun out of my current life and I also have small kids that deserve a happy/positive childhood.

Anyhow for the time being I (like many over here I guess) try to enjoy this hobby (music + gear) as much as possible and the HF site helps me with that. Any input on bugs and flaws will hopefully help getting this site back on the rails (like how it worked before) again.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #560 of 1,792
Seriously though…why change posts to messages? …messages to conversations….now to send a message it’s start a conversation…but we can post new thread….???

I’ve been here since 2003 and there are now over how many thousands of members ??? ...and for some reason over night someone has decided we all now have to call green red and red green….?????

And still no search within a thread…..lol….come on guys.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #561 of 1,792
You know what guys? I'm going to shut up now. I know, I know, finally, I got it.

In trying to defend the administrators, I've been a self-righteous p***k speaking down on others as if I was standing at a pulpit. I still think that my cause was just. I think the admins needed to hear some positive voices among the negative ones, because who likes that feeling of everyone being united against you? However, I should have stopped with my first post in this thread, but, instead, I didn't leave well enough alone and I was, admittedly, trying to fight what I called nastiness with nastiness. Self-righteous, elitist nastiness. I guess, as they say, anonymity really does bring our flaws to the surface, doesn't it? As evidenced from my posts in this thread, one of my flaws is that I am a judgemental person who likes to think that he is better than other people. I apologize to everybody who has been annoyed by my holier-than-thou postings. I also apologize to the admins if, by trying to help, I only made things worse.

Despite all the negative things I say about humans, I still like to think that, overall, people are good. And I will end this post on that more positive note. Sorry about the whiplash folks! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Y'all probably think I have mood swings or something!

I found nothing self righteous in your posts at all. A little perspective relief is welcome at times.
Sure the admins have problems now, but they are wholly self imposed and to be frank are going to escallate by trying to tune a live site.
First World Problems indeed. We need to buy million dollar headphones that really do no more than a 500 or 1000 buck headphone in order to drive up the overall prices in the marketplace because as Tyll points out getting people to pay more (in one of his old Beats reviews) allows the industry to prosper and make even more overpriced headphones. I for one am assuming the intention here is to create the first headphone billionaire who will no doubt follow Bill Gates example and divest himself of most of his fortune to help emerging countries implement educational and health care programs so they can go forth and create an economy in their land that will allow them to buy 10,000 headphone setups.

Being judgemental and or discriminate, while not en vogue in the PC besotted world of now are not always bad things.
How many times has a parent or teacher or employer told you to "Use your judgement". Similarly being indiscriminate is something we are taught to avoid pretty much since birth. It is what allows us to have values and hopefully be able to go through life assessing value of things in a manner beneficial to ourselves and others.

The psychological definition of value is "Something that alleviates an immediate NEED" or "Prevents a future negative influence".
Now for fun and laughs. Apply your judgemental and discriminatory skills to determine the actual Value of an ADvert infested information forum or a 5grand headphone.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #562 of 1,792
I found nothing self righteous in your posts at all. A little perspective relief is welcome at times.
Sure the admins have problems now, but they are wholly self imposed and to be frank are going to escallate by trying to tune a live site.
First World Problems indeed. We need to buy million dollar headphones that really do no more than a 500 or 1000 buck headphone in order to drive up the overall prices in the marketplace because as Tyll points out getting people to pay more (in one of his old Beats reviews) allows the industry to prosper and make even more overpriced headphones. I for one am assuming the intention here is to create the first headphone billionaire who will no doubt follow Bill Gates example and divest himself of most of his fortune to help emerging countries implement educational and health care programs so they can go forth and create an economy in their land that will allow them to buy 10,000 headphone setups.

Being judgemental and or discriminate, while not en vogue in the PC besotted world of now are not always bad things.
How many times has a parent or teacher or employer told you to "Use your judgement". Similarly being indiscriminate is something we are taught to avoid pretty much since birth. It is what allows us to have values and hopefully be able to go through life assessing value of things in a manner beneficial to ourselves and others.

The psychological definition of value is "Something that alleviates an immediate NEED" or "Prevents a future negative influence".
Now for fun and laughs. Apply your judgemental and discriminatory skills to determine the actual Value of an ADvert infested information forum or a 5grand headphone.
You said, "I for one am assuming the intention here is to create the first headphone billionaire" only that's been already done. Apple bought Beats for how much and who pocketed the moolah?

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #563 of 1,792
You said, "I for one am assuming the intention here is to create the first headphone billionaire" only that's been already done. Apple bought Beats for how much and who pocketed the moolah?

You are right of course. I was thinking of someone who actually designed and built the phones rather than Dre though. Wonder how much he has input to charity? Kevlar vests distributed to the 'hood perhaps :)

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #564 of 1,792
Nope, U?
You are right of course. I was thinking of someone who actually designed and built the phones rather than Dre though. Wonder how much he has input to charity? Kevlar vests distributed to the 'hood perhaps :)
When Dre thinks about the saying, "Charity begins at home" he probably thinks it means his home, not those around him. He sure did beat a lot of rubes with overpriced garbage cans.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #565 of 1,792
I hope the mobile version will be looked at soon since it's pretty much useless on Android. e.g. the "Watched threads" not included in the main menu. The navigation in general needs redesign. We'll see...

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #566 of 1,792
Nope, U?

When Dre thinks about the saying, "Charity begins at home" he probably thinks it means his home, not those around him. He sure did beat a lot of rubes with overpriced garbage cans.

:)

He sure did and Apple glommed onto it like it was the holy grail of consumer electronics. I wonder what that says about us as a species?

From one of the few manga's I have ever read and that only because the original anime film was so utterly brilliant comes the following quote.

"Emphasizing a lifestyle based on consumption is the ultimate Violence against poor countries"

That one sticks with me whenever i am inundated with ads and made to feel somehow inferior because I will not drop a huge amount on the latest en vogue uberprodukt that apparently I should not be able to live without.

Consumption over content, quantity over quality. We have gotten ourselves into a fine mess where only the marketing firms seem to be winning.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #568 of 1,792
I'm sure this is not going to be a surprise for most of you technical types...

For those of you getting the unwanted dating ads, this is what I did. AS SOON as I saw it, there was a button in the top right. "Ad Choices", I think. I clicked on it. I chose don't show me this ad again. It asked why. I said it was offensive. They said, We'll try not to show you this again. Or something like that.

I am on Chrome 58.0.3029.81. Windows 7 Enterprise.

I am not an IT guy. I'm not good at browser thingies. So if the above process doesn't work for you, I can't help further. Just sharing what worked for me.

...And of course, won't help with the JHA and Noble ads. :)

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #569 of 1,792
:)

He sure did and Apple glommed onto it like it was the holy grail of consumer electronics. I wonder what that says about us as a species?

From one of the few manga's I have ever read and that only because the original anime film was so utterly brilliant comes the following quote.

"Emphasizing a lifestyle based on consumption is the ultimate Violence against poor countries"

That one sticks with me whenever i am inundated with ads and made to feel somehow inferior because I will not drop a huge amount on the latest en vogue uberprodukt that apparently I should not be able to live without.

Consumption over content, quantity over quality. We have gotten ourselves into a fine mess where only the marketing firms seem to be winning.
It appears that head-fi has joined the fray. I wonder what the percent increase of visual space the new site has given over to adverts. I understand that they need to be funded, however, my eyes hurt from the excess and new content designed to sway me to things I have no inclination for. If the site was not such a mess, I might not take it as badly.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #570 of 1,792
I personally dislike the extra bling bling. The site transformed from a professional looking site into a rather intruding flashing site which I find too distracting and unpleasant to look at. This site is something I view and check on daily basis, the new layout is really turning me off from checking the forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back