New Member Introductions thread
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #13,816 of 15,551
Not really. Only had the pleasure for a brieve demo with an Atrium (which I never heard on my home setup).

Welcome to the world of enthusiasm lol!

Head-Fi is a great place but, as you noticed, some people tend to exaggerate when it comes to the impact of gear. Therefore I'd advice you to never buy anything based on reviews. Listen to it at a local dealer is king!
Haha, I have noticed a lot of very personal preferences. :wink: Sadly, I don't have high end dealers local to me, so I'll have to give equipment a shot as a I travel, or simply gamble as I have been. If you know of any stores with a large array of well setup demo models in the states, please send the info my way!

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #13,817 of 15,551
Haha, I have noticed a lot of very personal preferences. :wink: Sadly, I don't have high end dealers local to me, so I'll have to give equipment a shot as a I travel, or simply gamble as I have been. If you know of any stores with a large array of well setup demo models in the states, please send the info my way!
I live in Europe so I probably won't be of much help. 😅

If you want to try all those sweet endgame amps & dacs I'd definitvely recommand CanJam (an exhibition hosted by head-fi where most big brands come and display their gear). It should give you a rough impression if something is worth it or not.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #13,818 of 15,551
Greetings all,
I recently purchased my first decent headphones. I decided to try the Austrian Audio hi-x60, and I will use them in the field for recording nature (bird songs). Secondarily I started thinking about how I could use the new headphones for music listening to make them more worth what I paid... That prompted me to begin the long process of ripping my CD collection (which I've been meaning to do for years). I mostly enjoy folk/acoustic and progressive rock type stuff. And then I started shopping for a dedicated portable digital audio player, and I will be exploring high res streaming services. So I'm off and running... I have a lot of other hobbies. In addition to the bird song recording, I work at bird photography and I practice acoustic guitar. I work full time and it's really hard for me to juggle all my hobbies, so I don't think I'm in too much danger of falling into the deep end of the audiophile rabbit hole. Famous last words? ha...

Say can someone tell me how long it will be before I can make a post in a different thread?

Nice to be here and I look forward to the help and advice of the experts on this forum.
Dave

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #13,819 of 15,551
Greetings all,
I recently purchased my first decent headphones. I decided to try the Austrian Audio hi-x60, and I will use them in the field for recording nature (bird songs). Secondarily I started thinking about how I could use the new headphones for music listening to make them more worth what I paid... That prompted me to begin the long process of ripping my CD collection (which I've been meaning to do for years). I mostly enjoy folk/acoustic and progressive rock type stuff. And then I started shopping for a dedicated portable digital audio player, and I will be exploring high res streaming services. So I'm off and running... I have a lot of other hobbies. In addition to the bird song recording, I work at bird photography and I practice acoustic guitar. I work full time and it's really hard for me to juggle all my hobbies, so I don't think I'm in too much danger of falling into the deep end of the audiophile rabbit hole. Famous last words? ha...

Say can someone tell me how long it will be before I can make a post in a different thread?

Nice to be here and I look forward to the help and advice of the experts on this forum.
Dave
Welcome!
And from memory, it's like 5 messages I think

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #13,820 of 15,551
Greetings all,

Dave
Welcome! I'm new here as well. Though I've fallen off the deep in fairly quickly. This is my first time hearing of Austrian Audio. What made you go with these?

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #13,821 of 15,551
Welcome! I'm new here as well. Though I've fallen off the deep in fairly quickly. This is my first time hearing of Austrian Audio. What made you go with these?
For my field recording (bird songs), I had been using the well-known Sennheiser HD280. But after years of kind of rough field use, those were falling apart, and the long coiled cord had always frustrated me. I was looking for a relatively affordable recording/monitoring headphone first (detailed especially in the upper frequencies, but fairly flat/reference), but secondarily a headphone that would be pleasing for music listening. Austrian Audio was not my only possible option, and they were a bit more expensive than some others I considered, but they seem to have favorable reviews (especially if you consider the original hi-x50 which came before). So far I like them. They seem to be equal or better than the HD280's, but they are just my first nice headphone and I didn't use the HD280's much for music, so I really don't have much frame of reference. The design of the Austrian Audio hi-x60 appealed to me for my field use. I wanted a fairly compact, rugged, closed over the ear design with a detachable cord. It's a minor thing, but the Austrian Audio included a short ~4 foot cord that is the perfect length when I'm walking around with my digital recorder. Another minor consideration: For my birding, I liked the flat black non-reflective color (less chance of attracting attention to myself and spooking a bird).

Dave

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #13,822 of 15,551
Hi all.

Been a lifelong music junkie, but just got turned on to the audio gear hobby over the past couple of years while living the pandemic life. I've been lurking here for a while, but finally joined in order to take part in the conversation. My music tastes shift reliably every few years. Case in point, after recently reading (and loving) Dan Charnas's book, Dilla Time, I'm now on a massive soul, jazz, & hip-hop kick.

I've got a few different gear setups to cover most facets of my life: a desktop headphone rig for gaming and music while working from home, a living room speaker setup for music with the family, an office setup with desktop monitors when I'm at work, and a bare-bones mobile "survival kit" while walking around town.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #13,823 of 15,551
Hey there!!

Joining this post after recently getting my AK SR25MKII and a an SE 5-Way Ref. Well, the strange thing is that it's because of this forum that I ended up shelling out the cash for the CIEMs. Was pretty much standard before that with a smartphone and Bose QCs (the earbuds never really worked for me)

Joined here because I've been having problems running Soundcloud on my SR25MKII. Not sure if it's because I'm in EU.
But I'm glad I made the change, I finally realised how music is supposed to sound like!!
Music tastes-mostly soundtracks, EDM, House, Classical, and occasionally, rock..

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #13,824 of 15,551
Hello everyone!

My name is Hristo, 26 y/o. I've been into this hobby for a while.

Short background:
Started with the infamous ATH-M50s (the good reviews at the time influenced this purchasing decision). Had them for about 8 years. Changed ear pads to Dekoni 4 years in because the first pads cracked. Bought a headband replacement because it wore out pretty quick too. Today these are collecting dust. The Dekoni pads are super worn out and I need to replace them and sell this headphone because I no longer use it.

Upgraded to HD600 2 years ago which is my current driver. I love this HP (it has its shortcomings).
Bought a DT770 for my mom after she broke her airpods in the washing machine.

Having listened to these 3 headphones gave me a good enough perspective on what I like and don't like about HPs.
I love the HD600 but I also want to complement them with a new pair. I'm on my journey to figuring this sidegrade/upgrade path out.

I've visited the forums many times before. I've just never bothered to register because I felt like more of an observer.
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot.
See you around!

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #13,827 of 15,551
Hi, everyone!

I'm new around here, but I have been into decent-quality audio gear (in the car audio realm) for 7-8 years. I didn't give head gear much of a chance until about a year ago, but once I realized that a decent set of IEMs is way more technically capable than the cheap supermarket earbuds that I had previously used, I was hooked. I have since been slowly collecting a library of IEMs, and I recently took the plunge into headphones.

I joined because I like to read and contribute to discussion when it comes to learning about new topics; it's much more efficient for me than spending hours trying to filter through a sea of long-winded review videos without ever getting useful comparisons. I don't have a ton of experience yet in head gear, but I'm always willing to share what I have picked up along the way.

As for my personal tastes, I generally like a neutral signature with a small bass boost (depending on the genre and mastering). I default to IEMs for listening when I'm away from home (I value portability and assume that other people don't want to hear my music/videos), but I mix in open and closed-back headphones when I'm around the house. I primarily listen to rock (from the past 50-60 years, and most subgenres except the heaviest), but I also go through phases with EDM/house, hip hop, etc.

Hopefully that covers what y'all might want to know about me, but feel free to ask anything else.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #13,828 of 15,551
For my field recording (bird songs), I had been using the well-known Sennheiser HD280. But after years of kind of rough field use, those were falling apart, and the long coiled cord had always frustrated me. I was looking for a relatively affordable recording/monitoring headphone first (detailed especially in the upper frequencies, but fairly flat/reference), but secondarily a headphone that would be pleasing for music listening. Austrian Audio was not my only possible option, and they were a bit more expensive than some others I considered, but they seem to have favorable reviews (especially if you consider the original hi-x50 which came before). So far I like them. They seem to be equal or better than the HD280's, but they are just my first nice headphone and I didn't use the HD280's much for music, so I really don't have much frame of reference. The design of the Austrian Audio hi-x60 appealed to me for my field use. I wanted a fairly compact, rugged, closed over the ear design with a detachable cord. It's a minor thing, but the Austrian Audio included a short ~4 foot cord that is the perfect length when I'm walking around with my digital recorder. Another minor consideration: For my birding, I liked the flat black non-reflective color (less chance of attracting attention to myself and spooking a bird).

Dave
What digital recorder and microphones do you use? Low noise floor is crucial for birdsong.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #13,829 of 15,551
As for my personal tastes, I generally like a neutral signature with a small bass boost (depending on the genre and mastering).
These are the definition of what you're looking for in sound signature: the classics from Etymotic with the best discounts.

Add ?emailprice=t to any Adorama link to see if they have a deal.

Dynamic driver, $99: https://www.adorama.com/etyer2xr.html
Balanced armature driver, $59 (yes): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=t

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #13,830 of 15,551
These are the definition of what you're looking for in sound signature: the classics from Etymotic with the best discounts.

Add ?emailprice=t to any Adorama link to see if they have a deal.

Dynamic driver, $99: https://www.adorama.com/etyer2xr.html
Balanced armature driver, $59 (yes): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=t
Thanks for the tip! I've heard nothing but praise for the Etymotic IEMs, but I haven't tried them yet. For some reason, I always thought that they had rolled-off bass, but from a quick look at the graphs for the ER2XR and ER3XR, they look pretty solid. I think that the ER2XR would probably serve me a little better because I generally prefer DDs and Planars to BAs, but I'll look into it a little more and watch Adorama and Amazon for deals. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back