[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,642 of 5,962
bought this in korea for 339,000 won today about $289 still i got to say worth every penny with the fiio x1 + Nx1 how much does sound change after say 100 hour burn in and the converter that came with the x1 the gold one ( i guess its real gold lol? :p) does the sound change compare to say the hd 558 converter?

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #5,643 of 5,962
  bought this in korea for 339,000 won today about $289 still i got to say worth every penny with the fiio x1 + Nx1 how much does sound change after say 100 hour burn in and the converter that came with the x1 the gold one ( i guess its real gold lol? :p) does the sound change compare to say the hd 558 converter?

A different adapter changing the sound is highly doubtful so it will probably be the same whether you use the Sennheiser one or the Fidelio one. However, I do personally recommend this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Headphone-Cable-For-philips-Fidelio-X1-UE6000-UE9000-/310803988432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item485d5c7fd0
It's nicely built, shorter (depending on which length you order), and is much less bulky because you just screw off the larger 6.3mm connector to reveal the 3.5mm connector underneath. And the strain relief still uses a spring like the stock Fidelio cable
biggrin.gif

As for burn-in, I'm not a believer of that so I don't think it will change, but that's just my 2 cents. Too bad you aren't in the US, the X1 is just $200 right now from Amazon!

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #5,644 of 5,962

A different adapter changing the sound is highly doubtful so it will probably be the same whether you use the Sennheiser one or the Fidelio one. However, I do personally recommend this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Headphone-Cable-For-philips-Fidelio-X1-UE6000-UE9000-/310803988432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item485d5c7fd0
It's nicely built, shorter (depending on which length you order), and is much less bulky because you just screw off the larger 6.3mm connector to reveal the 3.5mm connector underneath. And the strain relief still uses a spring like the stock Fidelio cable
biggrin.gif

As for burn-in, I'm not a believer of that so I don't think it will change, but that's just my 2 cents. Too bad you aren't in the US, the X1 is just $200 right now from Amazon!

yeah but i got this as a gift so i am still satisfied 

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,645 of 5,962
Been using these for about a year now with a Mediabridge cable and getting something wierd. I find I need to wiggle the cable at the head of the input near the headphone otherwise I only hear out of one side. Think this is a cable issue? Or something with the X1'?

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #5,646 of 5,962
Could be input socket as some users have reported it failing after some time. Probably loose solder connection.
But X1 isn`t hard to open and it`s quite easy fix.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #5,647 of 5,962
  Could be input socket as some users have reported it failing after some time. Probably loose solder connection.
But X1 isn`t hard to open and it`s quite easy fix.

And here I was hoping it was the cable as I have to play with it and not the socket itself. Hope I don't have to open it to fix it, not super handy with that kind of thing.

If I wanted to open it up, there a guide anywhere? I can't for the life of me see how I'd open these up to check if it's the input socket.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,648 of 5,962
Then first just try another cable to see if problem is cable or not.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #5,650 of 5,962
It looks like it might be the cable. Tried it out with a friends cable, couldn't hear out of the right ear now instead of the left (think it wasn't the correct cable) but the left ear was perfectly fine, this is normally the opposite. I had to really play with the socket to get the same "can't hear it anymore from the left socket". Put in the old cable, right ear is fine, played with the cable and the sound in the left ear comes back.

Edit - NVM it's the headset, bought another cable and tested. So is there a way to fix this? Any pictures or guides on how to open the headset?

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #5,651 of 5,962
Speaking of opening the X1... has anyone come up with decent ear-pad solution? Not that I have the need for replacing the ones on my pair at this time, but if I continue using them as I have since I got them almost two years ago it could at least be interesting to know if they are preservable.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #5,652 of 5,962
Pretty much only way to open them is have strong non-bending thin metal sheet/knife or something like that which You just push between the edge of earpad and housing and then just gently "pull-twist" till You hear hot-glue popping off and then step by step move along the circle edge until all has pop open. Pins are most weak point at first removal (after they are ok) because if too much pull force is used, then pins get uneven force and can break. But even if they break, I think it is easy to replace that system with thin magnet locking circle or fabric-crunch system.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #5,653 of 5,962
I found a place that does headset repairs in the end, so sent it off to them. If they can't fix it, they'll ship it to Phillips, but I have a bad feeling in general.

Time to find a new headset then! Gotta find one as comfortable and similar to it as I loved the X1. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #5,654 of 5,962
I don`t understand why to run away from something You like and is quite easy to fix & make even more durable?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,655 of 5,962
  I don`t understand why to run away from something You like and is quite easy to fix & make even more durable?
rolleyes.gif

Because I'm 100% sure I'll make it worse than it already is. Plus I don't have the tools to fix it (no soldering iron).

The second headset is for a backup. I work in an office and I need another pair ASAP while I wait for these to come back, may as well look at upgrading (if there is even such a thing for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back