NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #976 of 1,647
Haven’t found anything that really stands out yet for a consideration of purchase. Still awaiting the Piety though so I’m not in a huge rush. Shipping is saying it’ll arrive on Friday. I’ll test with my Gryphon and CMA400i to start off with but through all the research that I’ve done so far most reviewers are saying to stick with Schiit DAC’s for better synergy.

For what it is worth.

When I got my Piety I tried it with my Gryphon, Mojo, Diablo and line out from M11 Plus. I could barely hear any difference between any of them.

I ended up buying a Modi + and at $129 it sounds every bit as good as the $1,000 Diablo as the DAC to my ears.

The Modi Multibit 2 seems to be flavour of the month but after hearing nothing particularly special from the original Modi Multibit and hearing very little to no difference with the portable DACs mentioned above I had no interest in the MM2.

I am more than happy with the Modi +, very hard to go wrong at the price. It doesn’t match the colour of the Piety so I set it up on an under bench mount with the Piety sitting topside.

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #978 of 1,647
For what it is worth.

When I got my Piety I tried it with my Gryphon, Mojo, Diablo and line out from M11 Plus. I could barely hear any difference between any of them.

I ended up buying a Modi + and at $129 it sounds every bit as good as the $1,000 Diablo as the DAC to my ears.

The Modi Multibit 2 seems to be flavour of the month but after hearing nothing particularly special from the original Modi Multibit and hearing very little to no difference with the portable DACs mentioned above I had no interest in the MM2.

I am more than happy with the Modi +, very hard to go wrong at the price. It doesn’t match the colour of the Piety so I set it up on an under bench mount with the Piety sitting topside.
The Piety arrived yesterday but I realized I don't have an SE to RCA cable so I bought one from my local dealer yesterday and it should arrive in the mail today. I'll start with the Gryphon to see how it sounds but the eventual goal is probably a Modi Multibit 2 or a Modi +

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #979 of 1,647
The Piety arrived yesterday but I realized I don't have an SE to RCA cable so I bought one from my local dealer yesterday and it should arrive in the mail today. I'll start with the Gryphon to see how it sounds but the eventual goal is probably a Modi Multibit 2 or a Modi +

I am not sure what your experience with the Gryphon line out is but in case it is helpful:

Crank the Gryphon volume up to 100 which, when using the rear line out, is right around 2 volt nominal RCA line input voltage. Some say drop it to around 90 - 95 to avoid distortion but to my understanding the line out isn't driving a load being around 200 ohm output impedance into the Piety which I think is 50,000 ohm input impedance so I don't think distortion is an issue, it certainly didn't seem to be when I used the Gryphon.

Nice to be able to use the XBass which works with the line out also.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #980 of 1,647
I am not sure what your experience with the Gryphon line out is but in case it is helpful:

Crank the Gryphon volume up to 100 which, when using the rear line out, is right around 2 volt nominal RCA line input voltage. Some say drop it to around 90 - 95 to avoid distortion but to my understanding the line out isn't driving a load being around 200 ohm output impedance into the Piety which I think is 50,000 ohm input impedance so I don't think distortion is an issue, it certainly didn't seem to be when I used the Gryphon.

Nice to be able to use the XBass which works with the line out also.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve previously only used the Gryphon stacked with my KANN Max so this is super helpful. The cable just arrived so I’ll hook it up after dinner this evening and see what the Piety sounds like. It’s my first experience with a Schiit product so I’m pretty excited.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #981 of 1,647
Thanks for the advice. I’ve previously only used the Gryphon stacked with my KANN Max so this is super helpful. The cable just arrived so I’ll hook it up after dinner this evening and see what the Piety sounds like. It’s my first experience with a Schiit product so I’m pretty excited.
It's Schiit adjacent, but not a Schiit product per se
Piety is CEE TEE's take on a Magni variant that was infeasible for Schiit to produce (parts availability, cost, etc.), so he took it upon himself to do a limited run as NITSCH
Make sure to listen in both low and high gain :)

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #982 of 1,647

My pleasure, enjoy.

It is only partly Schiit remember, I like that it is a bit more special/exclusive than just an entry level generic amp.

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #983 of 1,647
The Piety arrived yesterday but I realized I don't have an SE to RCA cable so I bought one from my local dealer yesterday and it should arrive in the mail today. I'll start with the Gryphon to see how it sounds but the eventual goal is probably a Modi Multibit 2 or
I mentioned this before, but I love my Modi Multibit 2 coupled with my Magni Piety. It did take a lot of listening time though

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #984 of 1,647
Gotta do some cable management but i'm loving how this sounds. I'd need to A/B the Modi Multibit but so far i'm thrilled with the Gryphon. I've heard the Cayin RU6 is a great synergy with the Piety as well so I might go that route. Thanks for the help @BS5711 it's very much appreciated.

IMG_4773.jpg
IMG_4772.jpg

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #985 of 1,647
Gotta do some cable management but i'm loving how this sounds. I'd need to A/B the Modi Multibit but so far i'm thrilled with the Gryphon. I've heard the Cayin RU6 is a great synergy with the Piety as well so I might go that route. Thanks for the help @BS5711 it's very much appreciated.

IMG_4773.jpgIMG_4772.jpg

Great set up and lovely headphones !

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #986 of 1,647
Great set up and lovely headphones !
Yeah. The Eikon is highly underrated. With the announcement of the Atrium Closed which is basically the successor to the Eikon the love for Eikon will be a bit diminished. I absolutely love them though and won't ever sell them.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #987 of 1,647
Wow. I'm almost in tears here. Been listening all day. LCDX is a ridiculous pairing.

IMG_4782.jpg

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #988 of 1,647
Yeah. The Eikon is highly underrated. With the announcement of the Atrium Closed which is basically the successor to the Eikon the love for Eikon will be a bit diminished. I absolutely love them though and won't ever sell them.
Same here with Camphor & Cocobolo: here to stay!
EC07899E-287E-40E1-9D66-590D46901838.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back