NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
May 3, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,291 of 1,647
Well, i have never heard the Senn HD 650 outside my LG G8x. I expect the Piety to be nothing short of a revelation.
I like the Piety with my HD600's. My 600 ohm Beyers also are a good match. I sold my Asgard 3 after I bought a Vahalla 2. I missed having a solid state amp because the Vahalla 2 does sound it's best after the tubes warm up and sometimes I just want to have a quick listen to something. I almost ordered another Asgard 3 but when I read that the Piety was available again I went with it. No regrets.

May 3, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,292 of 1,647
I like the Piety with my HD600's. My 600 ohm Beyers also are a good match. I sold my Asgard 3 after I bought a Vahalla 2. I missed having a solid state amp because the Vahalla 2 does sound it's best after the tubes warm up and sometimes I just want to have a quick listen to something. I almost ordered another Asgard 3 but when I read that the Piety was available again I went with it. No regrets.

The Piety is a fine match with the HD600. I really enjoy listening to this pairing with a Schiit Lokius.

May 3, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,293 of 1,647
The power supply is the limiting factor in amps in the Magni's price range. Elsewhere I've seen people measure the distortion in ~$100 amps with full power signals at different frequencies, and it was much higher in the bass region. The way around that is to buy a Jotunheim, which, if my understanding is correct, uses a similar kind of circuit as the Piety.

May 3, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #1,294 of 1,647
The power supply is the limiting factor in amps in the Magni's price range. Elsewhere I've seen people measure the distortion in ~$100 amps with full power signals at different frequencies, and it was much higher in the bass region. The way around that is to buy a Jotunheim, which, if my understanding is correct, uses a similar kind of circuit as the Piety.

I've never heard the Jotunheim 2, however, have an original Jotunheim and Piety. I like both headphone amplifiers. I also believe that objective measurements are important. However, I have heard headphone amplifiers that measure worse objectively than other headphones amp's yet prefer how they sound. Just one example is the Piety vs a JDS Labs Atom. The Atom is clearly better objectively. Yet, I prefer the sound of the Piety by a large margin.

I have also heard more expensive amplifiers with better power supplies and certainly agree that when incorporated into a good design, they make a noticeable difference.

However, just as we should not ignore the objective aspect of audio, we can never ignore the subjective aspect of it either. And for this reason we must trust our own ears above all else. 😊

May 4, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,295 of 1,647
Thinking of getting this now that it's back in stock. What DACs are you guys using with it? Any recommendations? I don't actually own a standalone DAC right now.

May 4, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,296 of 1,647
Thinking of getting this now that it's back in stock. What DACs are you guys using with it? Any recommendations? I don't actually own a standalone DAC right now.
I'm using the Schiit Modi Multibit 2 with mine, great synergy with this amp and my Vahalla 2. Before the MM2 I had a Modi Multibit 1 and that got me hooked on the Schiit multibits.

May 4, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,297 of 1,647
I have a schiit Bifrost 2/64. It’s excellent. But a schiit Modi + or Modi Multibit 2 would be a good match for Piety. But the Multibit Modi is on backorder for weeks. They both have all the same inputs. I also just use an iPhone that has a 3.5mm aux Jack and plug that directly into the piety with rca cables.

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, definitely go with Modi Multibit. If you can’t wait, Modi + would be good as a starter DAC

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #1,298 of 1,647
I have a schiit Bifrost 2/64. It’s excellent. But a schiit Modi + or Modi Multibit 2 would be a good match for Piety. But the Multibit Modi is on backorder for weeks. They both have all the same inputs. I also just use an iPhone that has a 3.5mm aux Jack and plug that directly into the piety with rca cables.

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, definitely go with Modi Multibit. If you can’t wait, Modi + would be good as a starter DAC
I was eyeing the MM2 but last I checked it was still 10-12 weeks out. Glad to know its back down to 2-3 weeks now.

May 4, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,300 of 1,647
May 4, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,301 of 1,647
May 4, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,303 of 1,647

Have you ever been able to compare the Bifrost 2/64 to the Bifrost 2?

May 4, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,304 of 1,647
Have you ever been able to compare the Bifrost 2/64 to the Bifrost 2?
No. I don’t have access to one. I have a delta sigma ESS dac on my Asgard 3, but that was no comparison to the 2/64 when I A/B’d them

But I couldn’t tell the difference between a Modi 2 Uber and the ESS 9028 DAC.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #1,305 of 1,647
No. I don’t have access to one. I have a delta sigma ESS dac on my Asgard 3, but that was no comparison to the 2/64 when I A/B’d them

But I couldn’t tell the difference between a Modi 2 Uber and the ESS 9028 DAC.

Thanks for the quick response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back