NOS DAC better than Nobsound TDA1387??
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #31 of 254
1) I somehow didn't realize that the coax connection was an OUTPUT, not input. That sucks - I would have loved to hear what effect my outboard DDC had on it, let alone just a modern USB implementation.
Yeah, coax and optical are outputs. It can be used as a free S/PDIF converter, but I made a quick test and didn't like a sound. It is why I didn't recommend it as a converter. Using a power split cable might change sound, but then it is not portable anymore.

As for a DDC, I have ordered poor-man Douk Audio U2 Pro, will report back.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 254
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #33 of 254
Fill us in on what you hear - I am curious about that device.

But I am more curious about this one:

https://www.doukaudio.com/products/...ptical-12s-converter-digital-interface-dsd256

It has more outputs and claims to have premium parts.

I wish both gave more info about which oscillators they used...
It is the one. :)

There are on Aliexpresss around $47, but parts can be inferior. My order comes from Amazon US. It is actualy Leaf Audio product as seen on the photo: CMD-17C v.1.3.1.

Oscilators are standard type, but a good Chineese brand, SCTF. Many Chineese products come with these oscilators, my Amanero board included. What important, can be upgraded, PC board has a provision for a bigger size. An upgraded version is selling on eBay, but a price is very high.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #34 of 254
Jul 19, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #35 of 254
It is less portable than the other one, but since I already own that one, it is no longer a concern. With its coax input, it will allow me to play with some of the low priced DDCs
Yes, DDC should help, as there is no isolation transformers on S/PDIF.

It is a nice design with an attention given to the power supply (dual stage regulators, separate for the analog and digital section) . It could be better, as S/PDIF chip gives lower jitter with dual 3.3V power, but there is only one. Despite of such simplification and lack of isolation transformer, S/PDIF is a strong feature. Also a HP amplifier should sound more than satisfactory in this price bracket.

USB is another story. It may sound worse than the portable version. It use the same CS108 interface chip, but in the portable version crystal oscilator is driving ladder directly. When combined with USB adaptive transfer mode it gives the lowest jitter possible. It is an older version of asynchronous mode which is working very well. In this DAC USB is converted to the S/PDIF and processed in the CS8416 chip. It is subject to PLL de-jittering process, the same as from the external S/PDIF input, so USB adaptive mode is wasted. However it is perhaps a way to bypass internal oversampling in the CM108 chip. Only a direct comparison will tell the story, prediction is difficult.

In summary, I think it is worth a price, get it if you have S/PDIF source, otherwise wait for user feedback.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #36 of 254
Yes, DDC should help, as there is no isolation transformers on S/PDIF.

It is a nice design with an attention given to the power supply (dual stage regulators, separate for the analog and digital section) . It could be better, as S/PDIF chip gives lower jitter with dual 3.3V power, but there is only one. Despite of such simplification and lack of isolation transformer, S/PDIF is a strong feature. Also a HP amplifier should sound more than satisfactory in this price bracket.

USB is another story. It may sound worse than the portable version. It use the same CS108 interface chip, but in the portable version crystal oscilator is driving ladder directly. When combined with USB adaptive transfer mode it gives the lowest jitter possible. It is an older version of asynchronous mode, which is working very well. In this DAC USB is converted to the S/PDIF and processed in the CS8416 chip. It is subject to PLL de-jittering process, the same as from the external S/PDIF input, so USB adaptive mode is wasted. However it is perhaps a way to bypass internal oversampling in the CM108 chip. Only a direct comparison will tell the story, prediction is difficult.

In summary, I think it is worth a price, get it if you have S/PDIF source, otherwise wait for user feedback.
Thanks for the thoughts!

I searched for reviews and couldn't find any. Nor could I find anything on the designer "Lee's HiFi Studio". It is a shame that there's no additional info or reviews - it seems to me that there's quite a nice story to tell here.

If the primary weakness is its USB input, then I will have no choice than to buy an outboard DDC 😁. (I am really eager to hear your feedback about the one you bought - that is the one I would get).

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #37 of 254
Jul 22, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #38 of 254
Ok. I took the leap and bought the L1387A. I am eager to hear how it performs vs the portable unit. I should have it in a few weeks.

Of course I am now going to have to buy a linear power supply and a DDC to go with the L1387A.

I am leaning towards the one you bought, @sajunky, so I am eager to hear your thoughts.

There are other DDCs around the same price, but with different features. This one is also promising - it has higher quality clocks, but it is a bit rough though (acrylic plates vs a traditional case). I can't speak for its parts quality though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-XU208...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 254
@TheRealDz. For $56 you won't get quality TCXO's. On photos there are 3 version of oscilators. Enquiry which version you get and a brand of oscilators. It is a typical board selling during last four years. There is I2S contact area, standard logic levels, new designs come with HDMI. I currently don't need HDMI, but have decided for a new version, it can be used with new DACs.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #40 of 254
@TheRealDz. For $56 you wan't get quality TCXO's. On photos there are 3 version of oscilators. Enquiry which version you get and a brand of oscilators. It is a typical board selling during last four years. There is a I2S contact area, standard logic levels, new designs come with HDMI. I currently don't need HDMI, but have decided for a new version, it can be used with new DACs.
Well then, @sajunky, the pressure is on you to update us about your DDC - I will likely buy the one you bought, assuming you are impressed enough with yours... 😁

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #41 of 254
I am still waiting for my DAC to come in, but tracking shows that it is only days away.

In the meantime, my new Douk U2 Pro DDC came in. I am still putting it through its paces, but at minimum it is a solid upgrade from on board USB implementations.

So now I am starting to look at other DACs where I can use my U2 Pro as a baseline to improve the coax digital input.

I have TDA1387 covered, but now onto Tda1543. @sajunky and @]eep - what are your thoughts on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA1543-DA...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It turns out I have a spare iFi 12v psu that I could use with it. It doesn't have the benefit of parallel DAC implementation, and I can't tell about parts quality, but it sure is minimalist.

Thoughts?

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #42 of 254
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #43 of 254
@TheRealDz. I don't know details of TDA1543 design, especially whether it can work well in such simple application (which TDA1387 can afford), I will not comment.

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #44 of 254
@TheRealDz. I don't know details of TDA1543 design, especially whether it can work well in such simple application (which TDA1387 can afford), I will not comment.
Thanks for the honesty. I bought the minimalist 1543 above. I will be sure to comment on it when I get it. I am eager to hear how it sounds compared to my Denafrips, my USB Nobsound TDA1387, and my incoming Lee's TDA1387.

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #45 of 254
The problem is , the TDA1543 is treated as a budget DAC with inferior usb of coax input implementation. I think they don't properly understand the TDA1543. It can handle 24b 96kHz with a DIR9001 or cs8414. The dac is probably fine, even if it only does redbook. Only the output caps will limit the soundquality rather severely. You might consider replacing for mkp 10uF (or accept 3V offset without caps which sounds awesome, only 'don't do this at home' disclaimer applies: be aware of the minor implications). Also, if the are any other filter caps in the output, they are not really needed (1st order lowpass 20k just makes it rolloff earlier).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back