Obscure Chinese DAPs
Apr 4, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #4,666 of 8,152
I looked at the S1 for a while but figured it was too good to be true. I may need to revisit it. What's the navigation, volume changes, etc. like?

The handling is very simple, very similar to Zishan Z3.
It has 32 volume steps. Few for my taste.
It is not Gapless.
The reproduction is by folders.
It has equalizer.
It has no line output.
It has line input, it can be used as an amplifier.
It has Bluetooth.
5 buttons:
Left: Back, previous song
Right: Go ahead, next song
Up: Volume Up
Down: Volume Down
The central button performs three functions:
- Long press: turn on / off
- Middle press: return to the list of songs
- Click: play / pause
When turned on it returns to the exact point of the song where it was turned off

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4,668 of 8,152
A lineout would be to send to a home stereo, no? A line in would be as an amp on a computer?

Yes, more or less.
The input line is to connect another source to amplify the signal. Another source can be an smartphone, a less powerful DAP through its line output, etc.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #4,669 of 8,152
I Need a recommendation please.

I need to buy a DAP for my father. I have picked up a Brainwavz b400 for him since he fell in love with mine and now need a DAP to drive them.
Single biggest requirement is UI Must be simple to use. If it takes more than about 3 buttons to get to a playlist or play a song, it wont get used.
He will use it mostly at the gym or walking so something with a belt clip or arm band would be preferable.
He uses mp3 and a few flac files - no need for dsd or streaming.
4-6 hour battery life is fine (gym or walks is about all it gets used for)
as long as it can handle a 64gb card that is loads. (His current Sansa is a 8gb model with no SD slot).
Did I mention it needs a simple UI?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #4,670 of 8,152
You really can't beat the plethora of <$30 Chi-Fi DAPs for bang for the buck. Benjie (if you're buying via aliexpress.com) AGPtEK (if using Amazon) Ruizu all make a number of players in this range. Most have crazy battery life like 20+, 40+ with a few models claiming 80+ hours on a single 2 hour charge. All take micro SD cards and will play 16 bit mp3 and flac and Apple formats. All have somewhat odd choices of controls (its an Asian tradition vs western type thing) but it sounds as if your dad isn't very tech savvy so he may not even notice the difference where left and right get used like up and down and visa versa. Biggest drawback in this price range no gapless playback and often no separate volume control where instead you press a button (typically down) and hold it for a few seconds then a volume control appears. There are players in this range that do have a + and - volume button, you'll need to look a bit non of the ones I own do.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,671 of 8,152
In EU market it is more quick to buy an AgpTek A02 (Amaz.) instead a Ruizu X02 (Aliexp.) (I think thery are the same dap). But I wonder: these cheap model have the sufficient quailty to reproduce a flac/ape and distinguish it from a lossy track (ex. mp3) o it needed to buy a dap from next step (50$+)?
Other best budget player to suggest?

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4,672 of 8,152
I Need a recommendation please.

I need to buy a DAP for my father. I have picked up a Brainwavz b400 for him since he fell in love with mine and now need a DAP to drive them.
Single biggest requirement is UI Must be simple to use. If it takes more than about 3 buttons to get to a playlist or play a song, it wont get used.
He will use it mostly at the gym or walking so something with a belt clip or arm band would be preferable.
He uses mp3 and a few flac files - no need for dsd or streaming.
4-6 hour battery life is fine (gym or walks is about all it gets used for)
as long as it can handle a 64gb card that is loads. (His current Sansa is a 8gb model with no SD slot).
Did I mention it needs a simple UI?

Thanks in advance.
There is a thread about the Shangling M0 that is about to be released. It looks very interesting.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #4,674 of 8,152
Just noticed this one listed in Penon Audio - F.Audio XS-02

https://penonaudio.com/f.audio-xs-02.html
Ooh that is teh sexy. Finally looks like a budget Chinese DAP with a logical button layout. Calling it "budget" though...That price is Cayin N3 / Shanling M1 territory.

AND that is the same old UI as on the Nintaus X10 and IQQ C18

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,675 of 8,152
Ooh that is teh sexy. Finally looks like a budget Chinese DAP with a logical button layout. Calling it "budget" though...That price is Cayin N3 / Shanling M1 territory.

Sounds like a winner if it includes gapless play and does not click between tracks. You should get one:)

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #4,676 of 8,152
There is a thread about the Shangling M0 that is about to be released. It looks very interesting.

Yep, I had thought about the M1 as I am not sure about an untested new model and the touch screen. At times I find the touch functions to be really fiddly if not done well so I'd want to try one before buying it for someone less tech oriented.

Too bad too, with dual 4490 chips it was closer to M3s specs if the UI weren't so clunky.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,677 of 8,152
Yep, I had thought about the M1 as I am not sure about an untested new model and the touch screen. At times I find the touch functions to be really fiddly if not done well so I'd want to try one before buying it for someone less tech oriented.

Too bad too, with dual 4490 chips it was closer to M3s specs if the UI weren't so clunky.
Actually, that firmware is quite functional, has plenty of options and is very responsive. My only concern would be that neither the X10 or C18 support gapless playback but I don't know if that's a limitation of the software or hardware.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,678 of 8,152
Actually, that firmware is quite functional, has plenty of options and is very responsive. My only concern would be that neither the X10 or C18 support gapless playback but I don't know if that's a limitation of the software or hardware.

I have the X10 and the Crazier version of it and while it is fairly responsive, I don't see it fitting well in a high end dap as the lack of separate volume controls, the lack of gapless playback, and the general lack of polish on the OS leaves a good bit to be desired by current standards.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #4,679 of 8,152
also at issue, the fact that no-one has ever seen a firmware update for any version of the X10 player that I am aware of. That doesn't bode well for getting things patched or fixed like Shanling and Cayin have been so good to do. That is one reason I have not had any desire to try any of the new Xduoo stuff. I suffered through the X3 and again with the X10 waiting on firmware to fix things that shouldn't have been at issue in the first place. I'd rather pay more and know that the support structure is there to fix it since we know nobody has built a perfect one yet.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,680 of 8,152
In EU market it is more quick to buy an AgpTek A02 (Amaz.) instead a Ruizu X02 (Aliexp.) (I think thery are the same dap). But I wonder: these cheap model have the sufficient quailty to reproduce a flac/ape and distinguish it from a lossy track (ex. mp3) o it needed to buy a dap from next step (50$+)?
Other best budget player to suggest?
No one can help me?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back