Obscure Chinese DAPs
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,259 of 8,152
I’ve just ordered a Shanling M1 from Joybuy for £66 which is an extraordinarily low price with free delivery as well. Amazon currently lists them at £139.

Joybuy are showing all colours, except blue, as out of stock though so, hopefully, I’ll end up with a blue one which is fine with me.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #3,260 of 8,152
I’ve just ordered a Shanling M1 from Joybuy for £66 which is an extraordinarily low price with free delivery as well. Amazon currently lists them at £139.

Joybuy are showing all colours, except blue, as out of stock though so, hopefully, I’ll end up with a blue one which is fine with me.

That is cheap, but remember if you have any issues the warranty won't be supported by us in the UK :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #3,261 of 8,152

That is cheap, but remember if you have any issues the warranty won't be supported by us in the UK :)
Who cares about support when you can buy two for the same price of one and have some money left to buy a leather cover to boot?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,263 of 8,152

Of course support is always a factor, i am very happy that I got my Opus#1 from you as well as my Meze Neos. On the other hand many in this thread enjoy playing with a new inexpensive toy and are willing to gamble on an obscure Chinese DAP. I have no idea what sort of support I have for my little Ruizu A50 but I love that little thing. I doubt I had any support fot my xDuoo x3 (rockboxed of course) but It is over a year old now and still going strong. i might try a Benjii one day but probably not any of the ones that are currently available as I have enough daps right now.

Buying from an authorized dealer is preferable if possible...just not always possible.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,264 of 8,152
Who cares about support when you can buy two for the same price of one and have some money left to but a leather cover to boot?
It wasn't meant that way, sorry. I just wanted to state the obvious.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,265 of 8,152
Just got the SaoMai SM4 + Amplifier,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072M717XV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some initial impressions with no burn in time:

Comes in a metal tin with transparent plastic lid, foam padding reveals the player and underneath that is the amp, there is also a cloth pouch which would be enough for the player + amp + iem so that is a nice touch.

Player looks reasonably well built, I believe it is cnc aluminum (though not sure at all and there is no info on it), however it does have a light plasticky feel to it,

Loading is simply a drag n' drop affair which is nice and simple, also you get 8gb of internal storage to get you started. I think you can load up to 128gb micro sd (no info on whether thats sdxc) totaling 136gb.

The scroll wheel is a bit odd; to start you have to push down and then rotate which gives a slight clicking sound as it does, so far so good. Trouble is, its not always that easy to scroll, you have to push harder than you would expect which makes it feel unnatural, often you just slide the finger across the wheel not actually doing anything.
The 'return/back' button is what you use to get back to your songs, albums then artists from the play screen; its a little clunky and I cannot see that their is another way to jump straight back to folder view.

The screen will time out after about 1min, after which you have to wake it up again using the 'Power' button before you can pause a song or navigate the player. An override would of been welcome here.

If I try to 'play all album' it freezes and goes back to main screen

100% every song is clipped at the start of play by about 3-5 secs, also, if you skip back during a song it goes back to a previous song and not to the beginning of the same track (doesn't seem normal to me, but my experience in this is limited) - something I discovered when I was trying to test out different headphones with a song.

The Amplifier is useless as far as I can see:

- It adds noise and hiss between songs
- the sound signature without the 'Bass Boost' is thinner with a more tinny(?) sound, like the depth of sound is compressed, as oppose to how it is when the headphones are connected directly to the player
- add the 'Bass Boost' and the sound goes quieter, the mids and highs become recessed and extremely veiled, you are left with a sound which is like being in a room when there is loud music playing next door, all you can hear is a boomy muffled sound. My summation is that when bass boost is enabled it just reduces the mids and highs leaving you with bass and lower mids.

The sound from the actual player seems quite clear and detailed, though it seems to be lacking a bass punch somehow. Bear in mind here is my limited selection of music (My computer is broken so I managed to find 3 albums on my very old laptop I havent used for a number of years) and 2 headphones (PreSonus arrived with player so brand new, and, my MS1 which I have had for about 10yrs):

Headphones: Alessandro MS1
PreSonus HD7

Albums:

Thrills - So Much For the City
Unthanks - Last
Dream Syndicate - Days of Wine and Roses

All FLAC 44/16

The PreSonus HD7 are brand new, so take with a pinch of salt as they haven't even had an hour of break-in yet.

The MS1 on the other hand have, and I know the signature well, its forward, bright with good separation on the upper mids to highs, the bass is on the lighter side but it can kick given the the right music. This is not the right music really, but it is still a little lighter on the bass than with my other cheap player (Onn x5)with the same album from Dream Syndicate. Given the chip (ak4490) it shouldn't have a recessed bass and could well be something im imputting so I need more testing before I can say without a doubt.

*AS A SIDE NOTE*
The HD7 have a nice clear, detailed sound with better, fuller bass presentation and extension than the MS1, so for £29 they are a steal!!
I would also point out that I wanted to test this out with my IEM's Tennmak Crazy Cello, but, I lost them...

I have never reviewed any sound gear in my life, the terminology will be wrong, the words maybe wrong, but I do have a good ear for sound...if that means anything..

Cheers!

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,266 of 8,152
JoyBuy is offering the ShanLing M5 for about €230,- ($272.-) and from what I've read here and there it's an excellent player.
Any people here can give some advice as to go for it or better go for something else in this price range?
I want neutral sound. Not dark and not overly bright.

B.t.w. for that money I also can have a refurbished LG V20.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,267 of 8,152
JoyBuy is offering the ShanLing M5 for about €230,- ($272.-) and from what I've read here and there it's an excellent player.
Any people here can give some advice as to go for it or better go for something else in this price range?
I want neutral sound. Not dark and not overly bright.

B.t.w. for that money I also can have a refurbished LG V20.

I'm one step away from picking up the m2s at joybuy, could you tell me which international delivery company they used (china post, singapore post ... etc)?

I already asked this question for support On facebook, but they answered me anything random .

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,268 of 8,152
I'm one step away from picking up the m2s at joybuy, could you tell me which international delivery company they used (china post, singapore post ... etc)?

I already asked this question for support On facebook, but they answered me anything random .
In my case it was Post NL but i'm in The Netherlands so I can't say anything about what they'll use in your case.
I wouldn't worry though. Packages close to never get lost with tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back