Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Dec 9, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #46 of 401
Its definitely synthetic leather, onkyo is too cheap to put real leather on a $300 headphone, and so are 99% of other manufacturers. The only $300 headphones with real leather pads and headband is the Bowers and Wilikins p5/p7.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #47 of 401
Its definitely synthetic, onkyo is too cheap to put real leather on a $300 headphone.

LOL, yes I suspect that is the case, but even if so, it seems nice. One thing that I do like is that ONKYO doesn't waste money on packaging and accesories. They give you the headphone and the cable and say go. Kind of like Grado pizza box approach. I don't want to pay for fancy packaging or travel cases.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #49 of 401
I have an H900M on my head now listening to the The Weekend Party Monster from Starboy. These are very nice headphones. After a few weeks using them I'm going to do a review. These were sent to me as a review sample. Okay, put aside your suspicion that people simply give glowing reviews in exchange for positive reviews, hopefully you can do that, and if you can then I hope you believe me when I say I think people are going to really enjoy these. Apparently there will be some distribution in the North American market soon. I know we have heard that before, but I do believe my source who is the manager for this portfolio at Gibson Innovations, the company who is responsible for ONKYO headphones.

The H900M is a little smaller than the A800, and man I really love how it feels and looks. Instead of a velour like fabric for the ear-pads it is either real leather, or a good quality synthetic. I'll have that information in time for my review.

Awesome, looking forward to your impressions. I thought you were spot on with the H500BT's so I will trust your read of the H900M. Best Buy is offering them in the USA and I'm seriously considering them given how much I like the recent Onkyo headphone offerings.

In particular I would be interested in how you think their sound compares to the H500BT and the B&W p7 wireless. Thanks in advance!

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #50 of 401
Hi Sonic Defender, have you heard the A800? Is the H900M better than the A800?

I reviewed the A800 and have both on hand. I think the nod would go to the A800 as the bass in early comparison is a little more detailed which is no surprise. The soundstage on the A800 is also larger, but I will need more time to say how different. The H900M is of course the warmer sounding and the bass is impressive for sure, but of course with any closed headphone you get some cabinet effects, but with the 500M I think it is surprisingly controlled. Keep in mind I listen to very bass heavy electronica quite often but when I switched to say The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, the H500M was excellent and I felt it portrayed the bass very well, including control.

I just haven't had enough time with it yet. I will do a review in a few weeks for sure. I can say this, if you can purchase these and return them if they don't float your boat I think it is a really good idea. For $299 I have no doubt this headphone is full value. The build quality is quite nice and there is just something about the looks that I love. The H500M is smaller than the A800 and I actually find the slight size reduction somehow makes the design more striking.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 401
Awesome, looking forward to your impressions. I thought you were spot on with the H500BT's so I will trust your read of the H900M. Best Buy is offering them in the USA and I'm seriously considering them given how much I like the recent Onkyo headphone offerings.

In particular I would be interested in how you think their sound compares to the H500BT and the B&W p7 wireless. Thanks in advance!

Sure, that will be easy to do as I can drive the 500M right from my phone surprisingly well. What style of music do you listen to? I have a wide variety, but currently no classical.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #52 of 401
Sure, that will be easy to do as I can drive the 500M right from my phone surprisingly well. What style of music do you listen to? I have a wide variety, but currently no classical.

That's very kind of you to ask and to offer! I listen to mostly classic rock (Jethro Tull, Free, The Band), Boogie Rock (Canned Heat, The James Gang), Blues (Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton), Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Nina Simone), Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Megadeth), Progressive Rock (Porcupine Tree, Rush, Opeth) and occasionally club dance music like Daft Punk or Justice.

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #53 of 401
That's very kind of you to ask and to offer! I listen to mostly classic rock (Jethro Tull, Free, The Band), Boogie Rock (Canned Heat, The James Gang), Blues (Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton), Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Nina Simone), Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Megadeth), Progressive Rock (Porcupine Tree, Rush, Opeth) and occasionally club dance music like Daft Punk or Justice.

Cheers!

Well, sounds like we had similar tastes. I say had as while I grew up with classic rock and metal, as well as progressive rock (I have seen Rush about 8 times live) in recent years I don't listen to much of that music due to how bad the recordings are. Sadly I have gotten to the point that if the recordings are bad, no matter how much I may like the music, I will not listen to it with headphones, just too punishing. I will make a point to listen to some of the material you mentioned as I have most Sabbath albums, all Rush albums, some Miles Davis and certainly Daft Punk. These days I listen to electronica and Nu-Jazz/electronica quite a bit as the recordings are excellent as is the music.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #54 of 401
Well, sounds like we had similar tastes. I say had as while I grew up with classic rock and metal, as well as progressive rock (I have seen Rush about 8 times live) in recent years I don't listen to much of that music due to how bad the recordings are. Sadly I have gotten to the point that if the recordings are bad, no matter how much I may like the music, I will not listen to it with headphones, just too punishing. I will make a point to listen to some of the material you mentioned as I have most Sabbath albums, all Rush albums, some Miles Davis and certainly Daft Punk. These days I listen to electronica and Nu-Jazz/electronica quite a bit as the recordings are excellent as is the music.

I know what you mean! I guess one benefit of this hobby is that it motivates you to broaden your music taste in search for audio nirvana. Thanks again for doing this.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #55 of 401
I know what you mean! I guess one benefit of this hobby is that it motivates you to broaden your music taste in search for audio nirvana. Thanks again for doing this.

Exactly how I discovered some jazz and electronica. I just couldn't handle the screaming, searing loud modern rock recordings with razor sharp edges and older rock was while not as noisy, typically flat and without much depth. That type of music I now can only tolerate on speakers as the sound isn't pressed right against my ears. I will put Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell on my laptop and I think I have Number of The Beast somewhere around here in Flac. I also believe I have Kind Of Blue and of course Random Access Memory so I will play a few tracks from each album for you.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #56 of 401
  I reviewed the A800 and have both on hand. I think the nod would go to the A800 as the bass in early comparison is a little more detailed which is no surprise. The soundstage on the A800 is also larger, but I will need more time to say how different. The H900M is of course the warmer sounding and the bass is impressive for sure, but of course with any closed headphone you get some cabinet effects, but with the 500M I think it is surprisingly controlled. Keep in mind I listen to very bass heavy electronica quite often but when I switched to say The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, the H500M was excellent and I felt it portrayed the bass very well, including control.

I just haven't had enough time with it yet. I will do a review in a few weeks for sure. I can say this, if you can purchase these and return them if they don't float your boat I think it is a really good idea. For $299 I have no doubt this headphone is full value. The build quality is quite nice and there is just something about the looks that I love. The H500M is smaller than the A800 and I actually find the slight size reduction somehow makes the design more striking.

Thanks for the comparison. It's very useful. I heard the A800 recently and was very impressed with it. I think the recent headphones and earphones from Onkyo are really very impressive. I had the E700M earphone and it's easily the top 3 picks for this year for IEM.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #57 of 401

Thanks for the comparison. It's very useful. I heard the A800 recently and was very impressed with it. I think the recent headphones and earphones from Onkyo are really very impressive. I had the E700M earphone and it's easily the top 3 picks for this year for IEM.

Yes the A800 is the real deal, and the H900M is slightly different, but pretty much as good with the usual caveats you expect with a closed headphone. Repeated myself so just deleted the repetition.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #58 of 401

Sibling rivalry I say.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #60 of 401

Very nice photo! It looks like the H900M is slightly smaller than the A800. Does the H900M come with the flat cable like the A800?

Yes, the H900M is smaller, and it comes with a braided, portable length cable, single entry exactly like you get with the H500BT. It really can be driven by a phone, rather surprisingly, but in my mind it is too large to be a portable headphone for out and about. I have actually worn it around the house and it is light enough and comfortable for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back