Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
May 5, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #616 of 736
Just picked up a UM MEXT. Struggled finding some really good tips, I went through a bunch of my favorites but the sound was either too thick, too warm, too brittle, or too muffled without much separation. Then I pulled the Clarion TRI tips off of my Szalayi and threw them onto the MEXT. Holy moly what a shock. Just like how the Szalayi turned from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan, so did the MEXT. Unbelievable soundstage with tremendous height. Very immersive. Super accuracy and layering with incredible detail and solid bass. Nothing stands out, super well balanced. The treble could possibly use a bit more air, but otherwise it's virtually perfect and completely inoffensive.

I'm just really shocked that the TRI tips came to the rescue again for another IEM. Essentially the ONLY two IEMs in my collection that benefit from these tips. And not just a small improvement, but a complete 180-degree turnaround. I'm loving these things. Now the only question is whether or not the Szalayis are unique enough for me to keep in my collection, because the MEXT are giving them a huge run for their money at the moment. Very grateful to the Szalayi and this thread for showing me the light with these Clarion tips. They're miracle workers when installed on the right IEM.
That's interesting.. I'll have to try clarion's on my MEXT someday then, thanks for sharing! Regarding the bit about the air, I'd recommend pairing it with a PW No.5 cable :) Brings out a touch more sparkle up top which I too felt the MEXT could do with more of while improving the incisiveness and texture of the lows (a bit more sub-bass presence I feel) Mids also retain the sweetness of a copper cable, great pairing overall!

On that note since you mentioned the MEXT is giving the Szalayi a run for the money, would really appreciate a comparison :pray: The Szalayi is currently on my radar and I feel the MEXT is an absolute beast on its own..

May 5, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #617 of 736
On that note since you mentioned the MEXT is giving the Szalayi a run for the money, would really appreciate a comparison :pray: The Szalayi is currently on my radar and I feel the MEXT is an absolute beast on its own..
MEXT is fuller sounding, less bass impact but more balanced bass tone, reduced highs but deeper resonant mids. Soundstage is more evenly shaped and huge on MEXT. Better clarity, imaging, and separation for MEXT. Szal has crisper highs, with scooped mids and bigger subbass heft. Doing an A/B between them, the Szal can sound a bit thin. To my ears, MEXT is better overall than Szal. More balanced, better tone, better staging, etc.

Szal is maybe more dynamic as a function of the low bass and subbass impact with more sparkly highs. But for serious listening the MEXT is best. If you already have MEXT, then the Szal might not be the best option for a new IEM unless you absolutely want more bass impact and sparkle. Just my opinion.

May 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #618 of 736
MEXT is fuller sounding, less bass impact but more balanced bass tone, reduced highs but deeper resonant mids. Soundstage is more evenly shaped and huge on MEXT. Better clarity, imaging, and separation for MEXT. Szal has crisper highs, with scooped mids and bigger subbass heft. Doing an A/B between them, the Szal can sound a bit thin. To my ears, MEXT is better overall than Szal. More balanced, better tone, better staging, etc.

Szal is maybe more dynamic as a function of the low bass and subbass impact with more sparkly highs. But for serious listening the MEXT is best. If you already have MEXT, then the Szal might not be the best option for a new IEM unless you absolutely want more bass impact and sparkle. Just my opinion.
Ill keep that in mind, thanks a ton for the comparison! :)

May 5, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #619 of 736
The Szalayi sounds amazing in terms of crispness, clarity, sparkle, and subbass heft. But in complex passages it can smear a bit compared to MEXT. I wonder if that's the planar implementation in the Szal. Great detail, but lacks in frequency balance, which affects clarity, resonance, and depth. So in the end, MEXT is more resolving and balanced overall, but with less bite.

May 9, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #620 of 736
Ordered from hifigo....I am not bass head at all but I love planar sound (p1 p2 hookX) . Classical and power metal will be tested soon...

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #627 of 736
For those, who are looking for a great upgrade cable for their Szalayi (also visually imo): Eros-S :) The darker connectors and grey stealth look take a bit away the "bling and bubble gum factor", what I personally prefer!
IMG_5438.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #628 of 736
I think my Szalayi's are broken they started partially cutting out one side but would recover if left a while, now even after a good airing sound hasn't fully returned.

Update
Contacted the seller and they said to try a different cable (cable was only a few months old) so bought a new one and iem's are fine again which I'm very pleased about because these are great iem's.

20230726_150214.jpg

Edit: There's still an issue, when pushing the left side in to get a good seal something is cutting out and for a while sound is less than 100%.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #629 of 736
I'm considering Monarch MKII, SZA and IE600, my most listening genre is symphonic metal, my taste is strong, but fast bass response for drum and kick drum, crisp treble and can handle complex percussion. My DAP is Shanling m6 Pro (2020). Do you think SZA is a good choice? What is your recommendation? Thank you :bow:

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #630 of 736
I have only heard the SZA from your list. The SZA likes lots of power and a resolving DAC. My M6 Ultra works great with it, hypnotizing me with the sound. However with my Tradutto DAC by Earmen and a Microzotal tube headphone amp they are spectacular. I even prefer them to my full size Focal Bently phones, which are fantastic headphones. The SZA are more intimate, with better PRAT and musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back