Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 736

Charlyro222

500+ Head-Fier
I think this new iem deserves a new threat.
Let's go for another awesome Oriolus iem.

Oriolus Szalayi

Specs

Body Material3D Printing Photopolymer
Transducer Type(per CH)BA Driver*1
14mm Plane Diaphragm Driver*1
10mm Dynamic Driver*1
Sensitivity110dB/mW
Freq. Response10Hz~40kHz
Impedance10Ω
CordHigh grade pure OFC with silver-plated
Plug Type4.4mm Balanced

1657997363069.png

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 736
Out of the box muddled and vague bass and mids. But when changed to included double flange tips magic transformation into clear subbass
Floor to lovely mids and detailed highs.
Let burn in commence if I can let them escape my ears! High hopes!
After one night burn in become much more resolving with clean tones and harmonics. Rapidly showing the Oriolus hose sound with great dynamic swings emotional engagement and musicality upscaling with tube amp and Tradutto dac….I believe I will be delighted with these monsters!

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 736
After one night burn in become much more resolving with clean tones and harmonics. Rapidly showing the Oriolus hose sound with great dynamic swings emotional engagement and musicality upscaling with tube amp and Tradutto dac….I believe I will be delighted with these monsters!

Are they better than Yanyin Moonlight?

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 736
Out of the box muddled and vague bass and mids. But when changed to included double flange tips magic transformation into clear subbass
Floor to lovely mids and detailed highs.
Let burn in commence if I can let them escape my ears! High hopes!

I had a similar experience out of the box - in my case, using the large regular tips - they felt massive in my ears, and there was far too much bass and an overall sense of muddiness. Switched to medium, big difference - left running for a few hours, and listened again last night - love them. I find they need more power to really perform - they sounded great on my P6K, but definitely scaled on the Shanling M9.

20220718_210458.jpg

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 736
Are they better than Yanyin Moonlight?
Potentially! Szalayi still burning in and Moonlight well seasoned...so.....The SZA sound more natural and integrated with bigger soundstage, and bigger dynamics.
The Moonlight are still lovely and enchanting though and wonderful to listen to. Different kind of sound...the Oriolus do remind me of my Reborn Mk2 but with better tuning and refinement., esp in mids. All in all i think the Moonlight are a steal, and the SZA are a deal.....punch in way above cost for TOTL experience....and upscale performance with better gear also.......and beautiful Blue!

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 736
I had a similar experience out of the box - in my case, using the large regular tips - they felt massive in my ears, and there was far too much bass and an overall sense of muddiness. Switched to medium, big difference - left running for a few hours, and listened again last night - love them. I find they need more power to really perform - they sounded great on my P6K, but definitely scaled on the Shanling M9.

20220718_210458.jpg
Yeah, ive been running them out of Centrance M8V2 or Microzotl tube amp, and they love the dynamic power!! a little sweeter with the tubes, and a big crisper with the solid state M8. both do the job very well! also using a TOTEM extension cable from Penon which smoothes the sound a bit (a fantastic 79$ upgrade to most cables.....
which mimics the effect of their 799$ full TOTEM upgrade cable...

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 736
Yeah, ive been running them out of Centrance M8V2 or Microzotl tube amp, and they love the dynamic power!! a little sweeter with the tubes, and a big crisper with the solid state M8. both do the job very well! also using a TOTEM extension cable from Penon which smoothes the sound a bit (a fantastic 79$ upgrade to most cables.....
which mimics the effect of their 799$ full TOTEM upgrade cable...

I've not gone the desktop amp route yet, in deep enough with IEMs and DAPs! - but I am of course curious... :)

I think Moonlight is definitely complementary - a more relaxed, smooth signature. If only keeping one though, I'd say Szalayi at this early stage anyway.

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 736
Mine arrived today, time for a long burn in
IMG_20220722_030844_783.jpg
IMG_20220722_030848_365.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 736
Waiting for graphs! I'm looking for something livelier than my MEXT.

Edit: I hope someone can compare them with any of the UM bone conduction family. They're the most immersive IEM I've heard, makes me feel like I'm at a live performance

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 736
Does anyone know what kind of sound signature Szalayi has compared to Mk2?
Bolder, more artculate,better soundstage, similar Oriolus
Tonality. But the bass hits harder also with AeLastic Sedna tips and better
Seal approaches Aurisonic quality!
Astounding! Mk2 still worth keeping
But Szalayi definitely a sonic breakthrough.,surpassing Kinda Lava and Moonlight in impact and power out of powerfull Calyx M legendary DAP...a WOW experience 60 hours into burn in....

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 736
Bolder, more artculate,better soundstage, similar Oriolus
Tonality. But the bass hits harder also with AeLastic Sedna tips and better
Seal approaches Aurisonic quality!
Astounding! Mk2 still worth keeping
But Szalayi definitely a sonic breakthrough.,surpassing Kinda Lava and Moonlight in impact and power out of powerfull Calyx M legendary DAP...a WOW experience 60 hours into burn in....

Fully agree on the 'wow' - I left my burning since arrival on Monday, and popped them in yesterday... blown away by the sound, phenomenal bass thats not at all overpowering but brings a big smile to my face - I'd love to have heard these without knowing the price, I certainly would have put a higher price tag on them. Excited to have a longer session with them today.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 736
How are the vocals on them? I'm curios since Oriolus always seem to have a more vocal centric tuning, but also I already heard that mids were more on the thin(ner) side on the Szalayi?
(maybe also compared to MK2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back