Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #631 of 736
I'm considering Monarch MKII, SZA and IE600, my most listening genre is symphonic metal, my taste is strong, but fast bass response for drum and kick drum, crisp treble and can handle complex percussion. My DAP is Shanling m6 Pro (2020). Do you think SZA is a good choice? What is your recommendation? Thank you :bow:
I agree with the previous post. I recommend the SZA. I owned the 600 for a few weeks and sold them because they simply could not compete with the amazing sound the SZA provides. It's a sound that surrounded you and a bass you feel in the bones, but without sacrificing quality of other frequencies.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #633 of 736
I agree with the previous post. I recommend the SZA. I owned the 600 for a few weeks and sold them because they simply could not compete with the amazing sound the SZA provides. It's a sound that surrounded you and a bass you feel in the bones, but without sacrificing quality of other frequencies.

I fully agree with you although I still have a very good memory of Sennhy ie600.
I traded sennheiser for Szalayi and at first regretted it.
Then reading this tread I started trying other tips, trying other cables and now I am in love with Oriolus sound 🤤.
The most beautiful bass heard to date, very nice mids and treble open to the right point especially for the rock and metal I listen to.
Truly a remarkable headphone.

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #634 of 736
Can you recommend a nice cable that will enhance szalayui even more?
I use it very happily with Ea Eros S and with this silver cable I got on Amazon for a ridiculous price with which I am very comfortable.

Linsoul Tripowin Zonie 16 Core Silver Plated Cable SPC Earphone Cable (2pin-0.78, 4.4mm, Violet) https://amzn.eu/d/0t3DajD

But I would like to try a cable that would still improve it in the highs and make it even more liquid in the mids ,keeping that super bass .

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #635 of 736
Lets give the SZA some love! So much so I reshelled mine into a custom. Those huge 14mm Planars really do deliver thick juicy notes, and that bass, super satisfying even coming from FiRs and Fatfreqs.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_154054599.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230827_154054599.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #636 of 736
Lets give the SZA some love! So much so I reshelled mine into a custom. Those huge 14mm Planars really do deliver thick juicy notes, and that bass, super satisfying even coming from FiRs and Fatfreqs.
Funny thing is that I tried a ton of different tips on the Szalayi and finally landed on the Clarion TRI tips. They're an astonishingly good match with the Sza. I would be afraid that I would lose that magical sound with a reshell/custom. I love them just as they are, and the fit is super comfortable. Most comfortable IEMs I own.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #638 of 736
Funny thing is that I tried a ton of different tips on the Szalayi and finally landed on the Clarion TRI tips. They're an astonishingly good match with the Sza. I would be afraid that I would lose that magical sound with a reshell/custom. I love them just as they are, and the fit is super comfortable. Most comfortable IEMs I own.

My experience is a little bit different with the Sza, they protrude out too far from my ears and being the least comfortable I own compared to others, hence the reshelling!
Sound wise I think they're about the same.
My local shop showed me a before and after frequency graph and they're pretty identical too, oh and the sound tubing length is the same from original too.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #639 of 736
More pics please!!! Who reshelled your SZA? :scream::astonished::eyes:

I will post some more pics later today.
I reshelled with a local custom iem shop in Thailand. Sense Ears. These guys, hands down best in the country and pretty cheap too like $200 with that abalone bling.

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #640 of 736
Heres some more close ups.

I doubt there will ever be a ciem like this made officially, pretty sure any ear shape smaller than mine, the monstrous 14mm Planar won't fit in with the 10mm Dynamic + another BA, even CA's supermoon make do with just a single Planar.

See how cramped everything is, luckily my ear shape is large enough the sound tube length and size remain unchanged and can be carried over directly.

You can clearly see the humongous 3mm diameter bore from the Planar contributing for the unique mids.PXL_20230830_053017705.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpgPXL_20230830_053126964.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpgPXL_20230830_053025106.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpgPXL_20230830_053158692.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #641 of 736
Heres some more close ups.

I doubt there will ever be a ciem like this made officially, pretty sure any ear shape smaller than mine, the monstrous 14mm Planar won't fit in with the 10mm Dynamic + another BA, even CA's supermoon make do with just a single Planar.

See how cramped everything is, luckily my ear shape is large enough the sound tube length and size remain unchanged and can be carried over directly.

You can clearly see the humongous 3mm diameter bore from the Planar contributing for the unique mids.

I really envy you having such specialized craftsmen in your country. In mine (Italy) we have none at my knowledge and hardly a single shop or two in a big city selling 1 or 2 ot the most common (and old) IEM models.
Stop. 😑

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #642 of 736
I really envy you having such specialized craftsmen in your country. In mine (Italy) we barely have a shop in a big city selling 1 or 2 ot the most common IEM models. Stop. 😑

Luckily Audio (as in any kind of audio in general) is quite a big thing in Thailand, we've got everything here. Not as much as Japan yet though.....

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #643 of 736
This thread is all but dead, which is a shame. The Szalayi is one of the few remaining IEMs in my collection, and I've owned some of the "best" on the market, easily double or triple the price of the Szalayi. What kept the Szalayi in my possession is the overall balanced sound profile, strong bass, incredible layering, and probably the best soundstage depth and imaging I've ever heard in any IEM. Every other TOTL IEM I've owned has been somewhat "boring" in many ways and could not hold a candle to the Szalayi's ability to present the music in a cohesive atmosphere of sound that surrounds you. I will say that the Szalayi NEEDS the Clarion TRI tips to perform its best. Many folks on this thread have commented similarly. It's a match made in heaven.

All that being said, I'm always looking for something better, so has anyone discovered a "better" version of the Szalayi? Something that has a similar sound profile and presentation, but even more clarity, staging, etc?

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #644 of 736
This thread is all but dead, which is a shame. The Szalayi is one of the few remaining IEMs in my collection, and I've owned some of the "best" on the market, easily double or triple the price of the Szalayi. What kept the Szalayi in my possession is the overall balanced sound profile, strong bass, incredible layering, and probably the best soundstage depth and imaging I've ever heard in any IEM. Every other TOTL IEM I've owned has been somewhat "boring" in many ways and could not hold a candle to the Szalayi's ability to present the music in a cohesive atmosphere of sound that surrounds you. I will say that the Szalayi NEEDS the Clarion TRI tips to perform its best. Many folks on this thread have commented similarly. It's a match made in heaven.

All that being said, I'm always looking for something better, so has anyone discovered a "better" version of the Szalayi? Something that has a similar sound profile and presentation, but even more clarity, staging, etc?
Me, too, still love the Szalayi - but to my ears, the oldie Oriolus Mk2 sounds better. It has slightly less bass, so mids and treble somehow stand out more, while having a similar overall tonality. Mk2 sounds a bit fuller and even wider. Might be a subjective thing though.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #645 of 736

I noticed in your signature that you previously owned an XE6. I've always felt that this model was a direct upgrade from the Szalayi, what are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back