Orthodynamic Roundup
May 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #23,911 of 27,179
  Opened up my HP-1 and its a anisotropic version. Yellow disk used for damping is in good condition. Black felt around the driver was deteriorated.

That's the reverse of what I would have predicted. I have some extra HP-1 felt if needed.

May 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #23,912 of 27,179
Bit of an update: 

The nasal sound i was hearing with my yhd-3 was the cloth + makeup sponge pads. This makes me sad because those are super comfortable. The vinyl pads i got on ebay sound better. 

Viva paper towels make pretty good damping material. A bit more effective than the part-wool black felt I've been using forever. I found my black felt and tried it out. I should really try the blue shop towels I use when i work on my car. To heck with exotic woolens. 

Good tip to use a compass cutter to cut rings of doubletape. I buy that stuff in rolls. I think my widest roll is near 4". 

I didn't want to ghetto out with cello tape, so i bought some 8mm wide kapton tape from a chinese ebayer. Has just enough stretch in it to get it to form to the plastic. Gold tone, though. All of my clips are intact but the cups don't close tightly, plus I'm all about reducing unnecessary leakage. 

kapton tape is wonderful stuff, fwiw. This is the orange tape that many modern electronics are held together with on the inside. You can get it in any width. 

May 12, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #23,913 of 27,179
  Hi fellow vintage HP nuts, I recently sent a few phones off to Tyll to be measured. Here are some photos of the DUTs:

I've also scanned a copy of a YH-5M brochure I have which I've uploaded here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49755/yh-5m_brochure.zip.

Hope you enjoyed!

May 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #23,914 of 27,179
That last pair are Yamahas? Very neat design- similar to the Stax 'canalphone' style, I reckon.

May 15, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #23,915 of 27,179
Anyone still enjoy their Wharfedale ID1? ( or use them a fair bit ).
Curious on some current impressions vs whatever else or even just on their own not compared to anything at all.
I realize they need some serious driving power.

May 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #23,917 of 27,179
May 15, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #23,919 of 27,179
Ah yes I remember those ones, gorgeous.
If I recall reading the other day they got measured but sound much better than charts show, which surprises me less and less with things as time goes on.

I dragged out the stock black YHD-3 and they have slightly shriller top end than the YHE-50S ( stock to compare the two equally ). Rather bothersome really.
No idea why really I think if anything that might be decayed black foam, but if memory serves me correctly the stock "damping" foam inside is super thin in both. Will have to look. Guess they will need to be opened up and see what is going on, most likely damped up a bit.
Normally the YHD-3 have the foam backed fabric pads but these have the relatively low profile actual pads now, I think the same ones ericj is using also.

I would have thought that there would be very little differences with  those drivers and sonically it was simply their housings. Did they not use the same ones? Is there a driver variation in the smaller Yamaha 38mm drivers?
Incredible drivers given their size.

Adding it to the project pile, amp building is next.
ph34r.gif

May 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #23,920 of 27,179
Here is the picture of that foam.
I really should archive all my pics this one had to be dug up searching the thread's entire image gallery.
 700+ posts off the search also is not that exact.

May 16, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #23,921 of 27,179
I think the stock YHD3 are not the flat fabric pads of the YHD1/YHD2 ilk but rather "normal" raised pads but still low profile. I seem to recall seeing that thin foam damping pad in the YHD3 disintegrated in the set I had. I have never had the YHE50 so have no personal reference. My thoughts would echo yours that drivers should be similar. and yes, quite astounding little drivers. 

The zebra ID1 are not neutral by any means but they have much more top end than the measurements might suggest and I do not hear the midrange emphasis  -  I will measure them myself at some point too so see if I get the same data as Tyll did. 

..dB

May 16, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #23,922 of 27,179
The YHD-3 do in fact have those horrid little fabric things, mine were NOS in a mint box still bagged up even!

The zebra one was that the strange headphone that was sold a few years back then discontinued pretty much right away?

May 16, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #23,924 of 27,179
  Nick did you score Wharfedale ID1? or are you looking for it?

Incoming
ph34r.gif

Relatively reasonable compared to some ridiculous prices I have seen in the past and currently even, nice and clean minus the typical fabric pads, no case or other stuff , just the cans. Fine by me.
One of those things I can't ignore for some reason.

Were you after an NAD lately I got the impression you were.

Just realized I have had these Sony-recabled YHE on for the past few hours straight, guess I should give my ears a rest they are really terrible sounding things very obnoxious sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back