Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 23, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #91 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here in the ATL, on demand is part of your cable package. HD programing all tends to be 5.1 DD.

That's what I assumed. That will keep me tied to shiny platters for a while. Lossless audio is a big attraction for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan
I bought a PS3. I am a BluRay fan boy whether I like it or not, but I do like it.

Good attitude and good point about newspapers. People will probably desire physical media for a long time, but to think that downloading will never replace discs? We shall see. The music industry is already feeling the crunch. Once bandwith gets a little bit wider for everone, I think movies will be next.

I will be glad to see discs go. If you must have something to hold, how about flash drives instead to get rid of those nasty moving parts.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
My dream come true.

Did you ever post a scathing review of that flick? I love scathing reviews.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #92 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PS3 can play CD's, DVD's, DVDA's, SACD's, and BD's. What hardware would have to be modified to play HD-DVD's?

It would need something like one of these lasers: here

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #93 of 113
I thought HD DVDs and Blu Ray had different formats on the disc as well....ie a HD DVD was more like a DVD (and thereby cheaper to manufacture), while Blu Ray was slightly different.

Looks like they may or may not have the same video codecs....depends on the movie in question:

HD-DVD, MPEG-2, VC-1, and AVC: Blu Ray- MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264

Then of course there's HD-DVD having TrueHD being mandatory while its an option on BR players.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #95 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, firsthand experience with VOD. In my town (Cox country), things haven't advanced so rapidly.

I'm curious as to what audio formats are packed with the streamed HD movies? What is the pricing if you don't mind?

And relating back to Paramount and their grab the money and run directive, considering the above information, why should the studio's care? No matter the delivery method, disc, drive whatever, they'll get a piece.

I really wonder how long the studios will stay committed to the new formats if the sale's slice doesn't grow many times over, as in at least 20.

Audio formats so far are Stereo & Dolby 5.1, as far as I know. I haven't looked too closely. As Davesrose mentioned, in Georgia, the plan seems similar to what we have here in the silicon rainforest. Hd programming comes with basic cable. If you add any premium channels like HBO, for example, then you get HBO HD broadcasts as well for no additional charge. The standard digital pkg includes things like Discovery HD, TBC HD, and a few others. We have the full boat pkg. which is called the "Platinum" pkg. if I recall correctly. We get all the premium channels, Shotime, Cinemax, HBO, Encore, Starz, etc. and the HD counterparts for all of those along with that we get all of the VOD offerings for free from each of the premium channels along with the Comcast HD and SD VOD offerings. I even noticed VOD for NBC Action Sports where I whitnessed, I kid you not, bass fishing in HD.
blink.gif
Then there's HD Music VOD, MHD, MoJo Music, and Music Choice VOD.

So there are literally 100's of HD VOD selections right now and this thing is still in its infancy. If I remember right, I think I pay around 200 bux a month for all that. We also have internet and phone service with Comcast and some of that might be in that price.. The wife pays the bills so I'm not sure exactly how much it is, but it's somewhere around there. Then there's the pay per view section which has 100's more selections on recent release movies in HD and SD. They're $3.99 24hours of access to any given title. So many of those movies are also offered in HD on the Premium channel VOD, so in all the time we've had HD cable, I think we rented one movie, everything else has been "free."

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #96 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Movies and such are great in hi-def, but there's nothing like a football (read: soccer) game on TV in HD. Amazing!

So does American football and baseball. You can almost see the steroid pills falling out of their pocket.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #97 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought HD DVDs and Blu Ray had different formats on the disc as well....ie a HD DVD was more like a DVD (and thereby cheaper to manufacture), while Blu Ray was slightly different.

Looks like they may or may not have the same video codecs....depends on the movie in question:

HD-DVD, MPEG-2, VC-1, and AVC: Blu Ray- MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264

Then of course there's HD-DVD having TrueHD being mandatory while its an option on BR players.

HD-DVD is spec'd for mpeg4 as well. I know there are a few HD-DVD titles in mpeg4, otherwise the rest are VC-1. The only reason BluRay really needed 50GB was to accommodate MPEG2 movies. In order to have a MPEG2 movie @ 1920x1080, you need an INSANE amount of bandwidth. But with VC-1 and MPEG4, 50GB is a total waste (unless pushing 6 hours of video).

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #98 of 113
this will greatly please me when they get around to saving private ryan and more importantly

INDIANA JONES

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #99 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I think we just found out who the real fanboys are in this thread.

Me thinks neither of the formats has to worry too much about you guys. Sounds like these lovable, good natured corporations have you in their pocket.
tongue.gif

I'm a fanboy without a doubt. At first, I was an HD-DVD fanboy. Then things didn't look so hot on that side, so I turned into a Blu-Ray fanboy.

With this latest news, me thinks it's time to become a universal player fanboy.

I was thinking of something else. Let's say someone's been thinking of buying a HD player last July. They just saw and loved Transformers. They decide on a Blu-Ray deck thinking Transformers will be out around Christmas for their chosen format along with Spiderman 3. Yeah, this guy likes bad movies.

Not now. Paramount just said screw you to those people. Michael Bay has a point.

lol, i dont really care either way, i guess you could call me an HD-DVD fanboy, but really that isnt it... im just a sony hater, i hate sony, with a passion... they are an evil company that installs spyware on your computer and dosent want you to be able to do ANYTHING with the media that you legally purchase... which IMHO actually probably encourages more piracy...

i dont own a BR or HD-DVD player or drive of any kind, and dont plan to until they become cheaper (and the movies)

becuase quite frankly im still satisfied with DVD... its not like all of a sudden now that we have better formats, everything old sucks... no, its just that there is a better option and at this point in time i dont feel its worth the $$$ they are asking for it

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #100 of 113
When are they gonna release 'The Lord of The Rings' on HD? Whoever gets this out wins my war.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #101 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im just a sony hater, i hate sony, with a passion...

Okay, yeah I know a-lot of those guys. With the rootkits, exploding batteries, hyperbole press releases, Sony does need some PR work.

Quote:

becuase quite frankly im still satisfied with DVD... its not like all of a sudden now that we have better formats, everything old sucks..

Yep, that's why I wonder whether either of these two will make it. If tech guys aren't clamoring for the latest, greatest, I ponder about mom and pop. They must not really care. DVD was a no brainer over VHS. CD was a no brainer over Tape. There seems to be a little too much brainer to these new formats.

Especially when pretty soon mom and dad can just push a button on their remote and...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
I even noticed VOD for NBC Action Sports where I whitnessed, I kid you not, bass fishing in HD. Then there's HD Music VOD, MHD, MoJo Music, and Music Choice VOD.

Good info kwkarth. Thanks!

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox
When are they gonna release 'The Lord of The Rings' on HD? Whoever gets this out wins my war.

Last I read, and that means nothing, Holiday 08. New Line (Warner) has the distribution rights so as of now, both formats should see it. However, there could be an exclusivity deal like with The Matrix, or as we saw with Paramount, who knows, Warner could go format exclusive if someone lines their pocket.

BTW, Kill Bill is a Blu-Ray exclusive on the High Def Digest release list. That would be cool to me at least.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #102 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

new line is neutral... unless they pick a side (or get paid off by sony) it will be released on both

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #103 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is freaking massive for me. It's not even close. Sure I don't have the best upconverting players or processors, but we're talking about insanely massive differences.

The HD-DVD of Hot Fuzz is OUT OF THIS WORLD gorgeous. After watching that movie on HD, there's no way anyone can say the difference is small at best.

Exactly. I can't fathom how there are still people out there, that have seen both, pretending to hold on to the claim that the differences "aren't that huge".

The only people doing this either A) need an optometrist appointment, B) are instigators by nature, and/or C) have really only seen HD feed on an EDTV yet still believe they've actually seen 1080p HD. There really is no other explanation. I almost take it as a personal insult when people try to pull the ignorant card on HD. It's a damn joke for them to try and convince me that Blu-ray/HD-DVD is only "slightly" better than regular DVD.
rolleyes.gif

Get the hell out of here stuffed in the face Kevin Garnett style with that weak crap.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #104 of 113
But I don't think many people have the experience, I'm in <insert local electronics retailer here> and I see true HD, and then I go home to watch my DVD, and, geez, I just can't watch this any more.

It's not like with VHS, which would have funny color bleeds, annoying rewinds, propensity for broken machines, etc. etc. People had plenty of reason to switch from VHS to DVD. You could use the same TV you had, you didn't have to think that much. The only thing it took to get to market was the will and ability for companies to lower costs of production. It was an easy transition.

I wonder how the HD-only over-the-air broadcast regulation will affect this entire operation. Replacing the entire country's televisions in one fell swoop to make HD ubiquitous hasn't happened yet, and I wonder if/when it will happen.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #105 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL.....I would hate to think how many discs the ultimate, ultra edition of HD LOTR would be!
biggrin.gif

I really do think one of the main reasons HD is being slow has less to do with access but more to do with content. Many people are buying HDTV for their upconverting DVD players and HDTV. I'm one of those types. I haven't gotten a HD disc yet, because the only movies that are on HD are ones that I've seen already......and have no huge yen to spend that kind of money to own.

Very shortly, Ridley Scott is going to be releasing an ultimate boxed set of Blade Runner. That is one movie that I really want to own. I'm not sure if the complete set will be on HD.....but I do know that the new cut will be put on HD DVD and Blu Ray. If I have the extra spending money then.....I might actually get a HD DVD player then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the HD-only over-the-air broadcast regulation will affect this entire operation. Replacing the entire country's televisions in one fell swoop to make HD ubiquitous hasn't happened yet, and I wonder if/when it will happen.

I blame the cable companies. God knows I pay them enough money......but they seem to like to fill the bandwidth with digital telephone, music, and umpteen iterations of the exact same digital channels. Comcast just does not have much bandwidth at all dedicated to HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back