Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 113
It is interesting......but I think this pretty much seals both Blu-Ray and HD DVD's death. Unless there's going to be a difference in last quarter sales, neither format really seems to be moving full steam in making a dent with DVD sales. Maybe one of these formats can stay afloat long enough to find lucrative sales. Time will only tell
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.but I think this pretty much seals both Blu-Ray and HD DVD's death.

That was my first thought.

Anyway WoW! Here everyone was wondering when Universal would go neutral.

Game on.

[Heads over to AVS; bet they're going nuts]

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 113
*whew* At least now I don't feel quite the urgency to dive right in and do more damage to my wallet.

....I hate these Beta/VHS decisions.
frown.gif

The stupid public always makes the wrong choices.
mad.gif

....remember Charley Chaplin with the stacks of floppies? Remember "It holds seven hours of movies instead of six"?

Arrrrrrgh.....Grrrrrrr.......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 113
WHAT A BUNCH OF POLITICAL BS. Sony better get this fixed or I'll be really ticked!

Quote:

In a statement, Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures said, "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

How smart of a choice it is remains to be seen, but it is noteworthy that Paramount-owned DreamWorks SKG will make an exception for Spielberg films. Paramount indicated that his works could be made available in either format, or both.

For the first half of 2007, Blu-ray discs have outsold their HD DVD counterparts by a two-to-one margin, according to figures released last week. Since the beginning of the year, consumers have snapped up 1.6 million Blu-ray discs, compared to 795,000 HD DVD discs. Since their launch last year, 1.5 million HD DVD discs and 2.2 million Blu-ray discs have been sold.

The neck-and-neck race also extends to the player market, where Blu-ray has a slight lead over HD DVD players, largely thanks to the popularity of the PlayStation 3.

Paramount came out in the early days as an exclusive HD DVD backer, but announced in late 2005 that they would swing both ways. At the time, the company cited the broad support enjoyed by Blu-ray, which continues to have the widest support from Hollywood. Minus Paramount, of course.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT A BUNCH OF POLITICAL BS. Sony better get this fixed or I'll be really ticked!

They're just going back and forth. Universal pledged HD-DVD only. Fox pledged Blu-Ray only, Now Paramount/Dreamworks.

Yeah. Both formats are doomed.

-Ed

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're just going back and forth. Universal pledged HD-DVD only. Fox pledged Blu-Ray only, Now Paramount/Dreamworks.

Yeah. Both formats are doomed.

-Ed

Anybody want to buy a slightly used PS3?
plainface.gif
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 113
There should be a theme song for this....

Hah Hah Hah

Money money money moneyyy

Everybody's got a price

Everybody's gonna pay

'Cause the Million Dollar Man

Always gets his way

Money money money money

Some might cost a little

Some might cost a lot

But I'm the million dollar man

And you WILL be bought *hah hah ha ha*

Money money money money money

Money money money money

... yeah, that's it
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 113
i think (personally) for wide adoption (which neither format is even close... i mean BR has sold a TOTAL of 1.6 million disks... big deal, more DVD copies of 300 were sold than total BR disks) and wide adoption = win... we have to see a $99 player, i think thats when "normal" consumers will start to consider it...

remember most people want the "deal" if DVD looks good enough, they are NOT going to justify spending a whole boat-load of money on a HD player...

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 113
If you ever visit L.A., you must visit Paramount studios. It's very cool and it is open to the public, for a price though. I'm glad Paramount studios fired Tom Cruise. He gets on my nerves.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 113
Did you see this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/format-wa...ion-291491.php

Interesting, eh? The thing is, that if one format 'wins' (too much has been invested by too many for one side to just bail out) by the time this happens, the players will be down to <$200, so the price of early adoption is quite small.

This is good news, however, having bought a HDDVD player, more content is always nice.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody want to buy a slightly used PS3?
plainface.gif
confused.gif

Like I told my friend about getting the 360 HD-DVD drive:

If you are worried about the format dying, just buy your absolute favorite movies. You can continue to enjoy them even if the format dies. Just don't go too crazy buying other movies. It's not like after a format dies, they send a goon squad to confiscate your collection.

How else has vinyl survived all these years?
wink.gif

Well, I guess many here would argue that vinyl never died.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back