Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #603 of 694
I used it with a fellow italian, the Aqua LaScala (has 2.2 V output). Both the single ended and balanced out was splendid! (SE being a bit better in this case). I can highly recommend it.
Auditioning the La Scala it my system. It’s very, very enjoyable and plays really well with the InPol :L3000:

Actually surprised that it sounds better with SE versus XLR. Would never even tried SE if it wasn’t for your comments, thanks.

P.S. The USB implementation is just crazy good. This must be the first time I’ve been able to connect a DAC directly to my iMac without any galvanic isolation or reclocker. Wow!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #604 of 694
Auditioning the La Scala it my system. It’s very, very enjoyable and plays really well with the InPol :L3000:

Actually surprised that it sounds better with SE versus XLR. Would never even tried SE if it wasn’t for your comments, thanks.

P.S. The USB implementation is just crazy good. This must be the first time I’ve been able to connect a DAC directly to my iMac without any galvanic isolation or reclocker. Wow!
The Aqua La Scala is straight up fantastic together with the Pathos :beyersmile::L3000:

My system now looks like this:

Audirvana -> Aqua La Scala -> Pathos InPol -> Focal Utopia

It’s impossible for me to convey in words how it sounds but it connects emotionally in a way I’ve never before experienced with headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #605 of 694
The Aqua La Scala is straight up fantastic together with the Pathos :beyersmile::L3000:

My system now looks like this:

Audirvana -> Aqua La Scala -> Pathos InPol -> Focal Utopia

It’s impossible for me to convey in words how it sounds but it connects emotionally in a way I’ve never before experienced with headphones.
What tubes do you have in the InPol, if I might ask?

Jun 22, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #606 of 694
What tubes do you have in the InPol, if I might ask?
I’m using these:

Voskhod '75 6N23P Gray Shield SWGP

Those are ranked at #9 in the excellent 6922 Tube Review.

I actually also have:

Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields

They are ranked higher but I’ve enjoyed the Voskhods so much that I haven’t tried the Reflektors.

Edit: Corrected grammar and spelling.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #607 of 694
Happy for you! :L3000::thumbsup:

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #608 of 694
Happy for you! :L3000::thumbsup:
Thank you so much! This is addictive - I just can’t get any work done :smile:.

Listening to Nilüfer Yanya’s ”Painless” right now and discovering things on EVERY song that I haven’t heard or noticed before. And before it was Peter Gabriel’s ”So”, actually hearing that it’s a fretless bass on ”Sledgehammer”. Unbelievable!

There is something very… human about this sound.

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #609 of 694
I have very little experience with different types of power conditioners. And the one I use now was put in place before I got the Pathos so YMMV.

For along time I had no power conditioner and used basic cord. Then my dealer insisted that I’d hear an improvement with a conditioner and better cords.

First I tried one from Transparent w/ cord but I didn’t like and thought it sounded worse than without. So I sort of shelved the idea of improving the “power system”…

Many months later I tried a Shunyata which was better than without so that’s what I’m using now.

The improvements I heard was exactly what @chaZZZy007 described 👍
Somewhat serendipitously I ended up discovering that my system sounds even better without my fancy power conditioner and cables.

While auditioning I grew increasingly frustrated with how the sound was “colored” by the different cables. So just to simplify everything the fancy stuff was replaced witth stock cables and a Furutech distributor.

It was especially dynamics that improved considerably. There was a “whack” to Rage Against the Machine that just wasn’t there before.

It seems to me that any need of power conditioner is inversely related to the quality of the power supplies in the connected gear.

Anyone else with similar experience?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #610 of 694
Hello
Received my pathos input ear
Some interesting listening sessions though
I was surprised not to see the ethernet input , then understood that I had the latest version
Well , it does sound good
Weird enough to say that the inbuilt DAC is more appealing than the DAVE MScaler combo via XRL input
They do suit the Utopia
More to follow
Cheers

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #611 of 694
Hello
Received my pathos input ear
Some interesting listening sessions though
I was surprised not to see the ethernet input , then understood that I had the latest version
Well , it does sound good
Weird enough to say that the inbuilt DAC is more appealing than the DAVE MScaler combo via XRL input
They do suit the Utopia
More to follow
Cheers
Congrats :beerchug:

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #612 of 694

It has a streamer? Anymore info? Pics pls.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #613 of 694
IMG_9428.jpg
IMG_9429.jpg

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #614 of 694
Thanks for the pictures! And interesting on your thoughts of the optional Pathos HiDac Mk2 DAC.
Might be mistaken though of the "ethernet input" (didn't see) for S/PDIF (or another).

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #615 of 694
Thank goodness for the spare fuse holder in the back of the InPol! I blew a fuse today due to bumping the power cable by mistake and was immediately able to swap it out and keep listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back