Philips Fidelio L2
Jul 28, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,082 of 1,146
I bought them on a whim because I'm sweating balls here and thought it might help with that. Of course, with the shipping times there's no way they'll arrive before the weather turns, but might be nice to have regardless.
My guess is they will breathe better and therefore be a little less steamy.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,083 of 1,146
My brainwavz pads (the perforated ones designed for Sony) arrived and there's good news and bad news on all fronts.

Changing the pads
+ Peeling off the old pads and putting these on was actually rather easy, and they fit quite securely
- I cannot really get the edges back under though since they're slightly too small and all in all it is a bit of a hassle

Comfort
+ The perforated pads I got are actually a bit less sweaty, as I had hoped
- The pads are however also less thick, meaning that there is less clamping force and my ears now touch the driver, making it decidedly less comfortable all in all, especially when running around or when wearing them for longer periods of time.

Sound
Obviously, I could not do direct A/B testing since after pealing off the old pads, I cannot put them back on, but I did listen to these cans daily for years now so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how it changed.
+ Despite my ears being closer to the driver, the sound is somewhat more spacious/open sounding, with a wider sound stage
+ Placement on my head used to effect the directionality of the sound more than it does now -- i.e. when I was not wearing the headphones right before, the angled drivers could make it sound like the sound was coming from the sides more than from the front, but this is no longer the case.
- This did came at a cost of lower mids and upper base. The hint of warmness is diminished.
- Isolation is decreased as well, though only slightly.

Verdict
All in all, I think these pads are not a great option. Switching pads is actually not hard, so I might just change them again and keep these only for when it is hot wherever I'm at. Mostly though, I think some thicker pads would be better. These 'work' but there must be better options out there; perhaps the HM5 replacement pads.

ah2B7nn.jpg

Removing the pads was easy enough, though I did rip them in the process.

1VkIToa.jpg

Clearly, the new pad is not as thick, which explains most of the differences probably -- certainly the reduction in comfort.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,085 of 1,146
Sorry to hear the pads didn't work out for you...I was in contact with a guy from Brainwavz about getting some to try out...he said he would send me some to try but I never heard back from him...
The HM5 pads are deeper...I have the hybrids on mine and I like them a lot, they are a little bit big on the L2s....I was hoping these would be a good alternative.
Sorry if I steered you in the wrong direction :frowning2:

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,086 of 1,146
The Shanling M5s and the L2s make for a spectacular combination! Detailed, clear yet at the same time, full-bodied as well.

I'm looking too supplement my collection though with the Meze 99 Classics...Does anyone here own both the Meze and L2 and are willing to compare the two?

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,087 of 1,146
The Shanling M5s and the L2s make for a spectacular combination! Detailed, clear yet at the same time, full-bodied as well.

I'm looking too supplement my collection though with the Meze 99 Classics...Does anyone here own both the Meze and L2 and are willing to compare the two?
I had the L2 and I have the Meze 99C, the Meze are better about anything. Sound wise Highs and Lows of Meze are extremely superior to L2 while mids are almost at the same level about detail and quality. At least in italy it doesn't make sense to compare them because of the big price difference 150 euros L2 vs 300 Meze, and it's because Meze are just of another level

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,088 of 1,146

I found the Meze 99s to be uncomfortable with boomy bass and severe micro-phonics.

May 29, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,089 of 1,146
Hello all,
I know I'm late to this party but wanted to say that thanks to your thread I have re-started my audio odyssey with the L2's which I got from AliExp during their last big sale. I've enjoyed them very much for the last 6 weeks or so, much better performance to my ears than my previous h/p, the Momentum 1 over-ears. Those sound darker, to me, than the L2 and the comfort isn't in the same league for my ears. The M's small earpads never fit me right so I never got to enjoy them very much. I did upgrade the L2 earpads to the HM5 hybrids and they fit me much better.

I will continue to enjoy the L2s but I'm already looking for the next ones :p but with a limited budget right now I'm considering the Massdrop Senn 58X Jubilee and the Takstar HF580 (first planars to play with). Any ideas or recommendations would be most welcomed!

May 29, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,090 of 1,146
The worst side of this it's that's quite impossible to find them new.. weird Philips policy

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,091 of 1,146
I registered just to say thanks to the posters in here.
My L2 pads started to rip so it was good to see some comments regarding Brainwavz being a good fit.
Ordered some Hybrids on Amazon, arrived today, Indeed a nice fit. More comfortable than stock i'm finding also.

Packaging
qH9qZdA.jpg

Fitted
fapCa1D.jpg

Inners
tPliwBg.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,093 of 1,146
I did the same thing, put on Brainwavz hybrids. Nice in the summer with the heat to have a cloth material on your skin. If anyone wants my stock pads let me know.
I would like a set of stock pads! They are perfect on my Sony MDR7506, but I can't find a set anywhere.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,094 of 1,146
I registered just to say thanks to the posters in here.
My L2 pads started to rip so it was good to see some comments regarding Brainwavz being a good fit.
Ordered some Hybrids on Amazon, arrived today, Indeed a nice fit. More comfortable than stock i'm finding also.

Packaging
qH9qZdA.jpg

Fitted
fapCa1D.jpg

Inners
tPliwBg.jpg
How does the sound change from stock?

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,095 of 1,146
How does the sound change from stock?
Only been using them for a few hours.....Ive noticed it sounds a little more open.
Having said that the material is so nice you hardly notice your wearing headphones so at this early stage it may just be that.
Ive had these L2's for around 3 years so very used to how they sound. I tried out some movies and music etc and still sounds really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back