Pioneer HRM-7 Studio Monitor Headphones Discussion
Aug 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 150
  I tested it several weeks ago . So roughly from memory...
  1. Very light-weight
  2. Very comfortable
  3. Well built even though it is mostly plastic
  4. Detailed, neutral sound
  5. Bass is nice and tight but not as good as Yamaha MT220

It's supposed to be a monitor and I think it has accomplished its mission.

How do they compare to the Fidelio X2s?

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 150

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

1. Exceptional bass quality with good texture and detail, not super fast but relatively so for its price. BUT its a bit tame in quantity and lacks punch. It has plenty of definition, composure, and extension. I wouldn't expect this type of bass for 199 
  2. Punches well above its price for over all sound quality. Even higher price to performance than the he400s
  3. Holographic soundstage with easily perceivable imaging cues that will most certainly embarrass Pioneers DJ offerings but also similarly priced closed backs. This soundstage isnt just wide(not super wide but think sony z7) it has some depth and height to it. Slightly cavernous but still clear. 
  4. Very even and neutral midrange that is natural  and avoids sounding sucked out or too colored. Voices sound a bit forward
  5. Accentuated sibilants that can be annoying on certain songs
  6. Smooth non-grainy sound
  7. Good isolation
  8. Comfortable and lightweight but somewhat of a loose fit. Pads are a bit stiff but luckily are rollable. 

The overall sound quality is better than I expected for sure but I am not too sure about the sibilance on certain songs. It is quite revealing there and brighter than the normal Pioneer signature which usually( even with their vintage amps etc ) warm, mid-bass hump, with full mids and rolled off highs.  

Furthermore
  1. They need a little power
  2. Zmf lambskin pads add bass quantity, but more reverberations. So you may be able to roll and mod to get these where you want them. I encourage that. 
  3. YOU WILL HAVE WOW MOMENTS. I wish I could go into detail vs the HE400s but I can't just yet. I need some more time. You would think its not a fair comparison but I am not so sure about that. If xanlamin says the t50 mkiii is better I have got to buy that headphone. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 150
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If xanlamin says the t50 mkiii is better I have got to buy that headphone. 

I got to hear the T50RP Mk3 at the Schiit Show (they were Jude's) and I thought they sounded really good.  They were pretty neutral overall (borderline bass-light), with a really nicely defined midrange but had somewhat 'crispy' highs (I think they were brand new).  They were a little too bass-light for my taste (Jude really liked them) and he said that the T40RP-Mk3 had a little more bass than the 50's and would probably be a better match for me.  I told Jude that I had never heard the Mk2's and he said that unmodded they are pretty much unlistenable.  So for around $150, I think the new Mk3's will offer excellent SQ for the $$ once they become available.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 150
grizzly how do you compare them with the MT220 or Focal Spirit Pro (if you have those)? 

I think the focal is comparable. These have a bigger sound like a little more space shows up on the right song and they are more comfortable for sure. I just played a song and the bass didnt reach all the way down on that last note but it was really low. I never noticed such on the focal but that doesnt mean much. Of the two the pio sounds more like the focal pro but I dont remember being wowed with the pro like I did with this hrm7.

The yammies are more forgiving but have sibilance too. Prob not as much as these. The mt220 bass is more full and punchy but less articulate and defined. Mt220 treble is less solid and more swishy sounding than the pio. The mids are not as clear on the yamaha but overall sound sig goes to the mt220 for me. However this one is prob better detailed and overall id go with the pio because it isolates better, is clearer, and has better midrange balance. The mt220 needs a bit more lower mids to sound as even as the pio.

All three have relatively good balance. Fwiw I kept the yammie longer than the focal because it was more engaging across a playlist.

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 150
I think the focal is comparable. These have a bigger sound like a little more space shows up on the right song and they are more comfortable for sure. I just played a song and the bass didnt reach all the way down on that last note but it was really low. I never noticed such on the focal but that doesnt mean much. Of the two the pio sounds more like the focal pro but I dont remember being wowed with the pro like I did with this hrm7.

The yammies are more forgiving but have sibilance too. Prob not as much as these. The mt220 bass is more full and punchy but less articulate and defined. Mt220 treble is less solid and more swishy sounding than the pio. The mids are not as clear on the yamaha but overall sound sig goes to the mt220 for me. However this one is prob better detailed and overall id go with the pio because it isolates better, is clearer, and has better midrange balance. The mt220 needs a bit more lower mids to sound as even as the pio.

All three have relatively good balance. Fwiw I kept the yammie longer than the focal because it was more engaging across a playlist.

Thanks!!! I am a Focal Pro user for some time (for mixing audio purpose) but I disliked the comfort very much couldn't wear them for more then 15 min in a row..
So I was looking into the Yamaha's but was afraid it colored the sound too much even though the comfort was probably much better, but now reading that it's more forgiving I probably look into something else.

The Pro seems soundstage wise  a bit small, when mixing I can't get the stereo imaging to translate well, how do you think the HRM-7 do that? and does it have some deep punch in the bass while still remaining flat (something that I liked about the Pro's)?

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #29 of 150

Thanks!!! I am a Focal Pro user for some time (for mixing audio purpose) but I disliked the comfort very much couldn't wear them for more then 15 min in a row..
So I was looking into the Yamaha's but was afraid it colored the sound too much even though the comfort was probably much better, but now reading that it's more forgiving I probably look into something else.

The Pro seems soundstage wise  a bit small, when mixing I can't get the stereo imaging to translate well, how do you think the HRM-7 do that? and does it have some deep punch in the bass while still remaining flat (something that I liked about the Pro's)?

Let me quote myself
"____*Focal Spirit Professional (yamaha= stronger bass and thump, similar attack, less lower mids, less thick, similar soundstage a bit larger, more highs, a little more upper mids, equal timbre and tones, less isolation on the yamaha, more comfortable)"

Disclaimer: GOING OFF OF MEMORY and just for you. Dont be mad at me if Im wrong. 

YAMAHA HPH-MT220 VS FOCAL SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL VS PIONEER HRM-7

(=)equals (>) slightly or noticeably more (>>)moderately more
BASS QUALITY/ARTICULATION: HRM-7>PRO>MT220

BASS QUANTITY: MT220>>PRO=HRM-7

LOWER MIDS: HRM-7>PRO>>MT220

MIDDLE MIDS: HRM-7>PRO=MT220

UPPER MIDS: HRM-7=MT220>PRO

TREBLE QUALITY: HRM-7>>PRO>MT220

REVEALING OF SIBILANTS: HRM-7>MT220> FOCAL ( None!! of them are forgiving but the HRM-7 jumped out at me more than the others, it could be because I am aware of it than before nowadays I don't know)

TREBLE QUANTITY: HRM-7>MT220>PRO

TONALITY: HRM-7>>MT220>>PRO(kinda strident to me)

OVERALL NEUTRALITY: PRO>HRM-7>MT220

ATTACK(UNCERTAIN): PRO>HRM-7>MT220

DECAY(QUICKEST FADE OUT AFTER THE NOTE ATTACKS): PRO>HRM-7>MT220

LIQUIDITY: HRM-7>MT220>PRO

SOUNDSTAGE: HRM-7>>MT220>PRO

SNAP: HRM-7>PRO>MT220

IMAGING: HRM-7>HE400S>MT220>PRO

DETAILS: HRM-7>>MT220=PRO

COMFORT: HRM-7>MT220>>>>PRO

BUILD: MT220>HRM-7>PRO

ACCESSORIES: PRO>>HRM-7>MT220

LOOKS IMO: PRO>>>MT220>HRM-7

ISOLATION: PRO>HRM-7>MT220

BEST FOR TRACKING(LEAST LEAKAGE): PRO(A+)=HRM-7(great too)>>>MT220

PORTABILITY: PRO>>MT220>HRM-7(funky headband)

EASIEST TO DRIVE: ALL SIMILAR prob HRM-7 needs an amp the most. 

PADS ROLLABLE: MT220>HRM-7>>>>>>PRO

ALL OF THEM ARE GREAT FOR MONITORING IMO my monitors cannot be replaced by any headphone here though. 

Most bored ME>>>>>wife>son

Users who are viewing this thread

Back