Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #64 of 554

Quote:
How does this unit compare to the Apple tv as far as sound quality? I planned on getting an Apple Tv. But this unit has piqued my interest.

I have Apple TVs and don't think their internal DAC is any better than the DAC in an iPod.  However, the ATV outputs an optical digital signal.  So, if you have a good DAC already, the ATV is a good option, assuming you already have a wireless network in your house and a TV to connect it to so you can navigate the menus.  OR, if you have an iPod Touch and download the REMOTE app to control the ATV.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #65 of 554
Can a I20 owner kindly advise me regarding the video output: if I play online youtube videos (via wifi) on my Iphone 3gs, will the video output youtube to my TV? I know there are other ways to do it, but asking specifically about i20 video output. Also I will assume that the videos that I capture and store on Iphone will surely play via i20 video out. Thanks so much! These two utilities will increase my wife approval possibility
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #66 of 554
Does anyone find it strange that there isn't any mention of this device being "Made for iDevice" which all Apple certified digtital output devices have and clearly always state?  Or that volume control remains active on the iDevice when docked (per a review article in the begining of the thread).  I've never heard of any digital source funtioning that way, well at least not a portable one.

Has anyone verified that the i-20 is recieving audio through the USB pins the way the other Apple certified digital docks recieve it and that its not just tapping into the dock connectors analog outs with an ADC stage?

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #67 of 554
Feb 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #68 of 554

Quote:
On Pure's own web site it is being marketed with the "Made for ..." logo http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=

As for volume I'm assuming that it happens in the digital domain inside the dock (if the remote does volume ???).

Ah ok thanks, I missed that when I looked.  I also see in that made for link that it only shows compatibility with iDevices known to be compatible with digital docks.  Thats more reassuring now.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #69 of 554
Got my self one of these this week and been impressed with it so far.  Atm I am using it connected to via rca outs to a pair of audioengine a2's and using a 32 gig ipod touch.  Main reason I bought it was to improve internet radio playback.  For this it's perfect.  Did have a sb3 but got fed up with squeezecentre or whatever it's called now.  Now it's literally plug and play.  Been enjoying arfm on it most of this wet sunday afternoon/evening..

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #70 of 554
Gents, I have spoken with Pure UK via telephone regarding operating aspects for my interest and thought i'd share the greasy mechanical bits with you all...

The i20 takes the USB stream from digital docking compatible iPod/Phones and re-assembles the USB data packets audio content into an i2S stream internally for it's high performance D/A converter. i20 also biphase mark encodes the i2S stream for transmission via buffered SPDIF on both optical and co-axial outputs.
As I understood from the conversation the digital SPDIF output streams are re-clocked by the DSP for accuracy but otherwise are untouched and are considered to be "bit-perfect" with the source material from the iPod/phone - therefore this data stream is not manipulated for volume control by the dock - the digital source is passed on "as-is" - a faithful replica of the source - hence the "Clearsound" moniker.
The D/A output (DAC - Analogue) has volume control for user convenience but note that performance is maximised if volume is set to full as digital volume scaling has some fidelity "cost" at lower levels.
Hope this helps anyone else with the same interests as I had regarding the dock and its modus-operandi for under the hood specs...

Nice chaps to talk to even the first fellow who couldn't help me but quite quickly found someone who could... I like that kind of end-user service :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #72 of 554
I have had mine for a few days. I tested the component video and it was a little noisy, but it does work with Netflix, so I would not be surprised if it worked with YouTube, too.

I tried mine with a 3GS and iPad and it works great. Not sure about the remote, because I was close enough to make adjustments via the screen. The best part is I have a 1st Gen Touch that hasn't been used in about two years and it works with the Pure. I now have it setup in my kitchen with a Sonic Super T amp and some Presidian speakers. I am pretty sure I will be buying at least one more.

Here is a pic:

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #74 of 554

[size=18pt]PURE I-20[/size]

the PURE i20 is a PURE digital transport with a built in DAC and optical, video and audio connections.

its like the ONKYO ND-S1, or the WADIA itransport.
only, cheaper!

for $99, you can extract all the ipod's content and let the PURE i20 to process the sound.
you can use an amp with this.
and...the best thing here, is you can pair it with your OWN DAC thru OPTICAL.

wow.
for $99.
a dream come true for cheap price.

yes.
and...you can use it to connect it with your HD tvs.
by using RCA.

if youre only using the pure's dac, i suggest pair it with an external amp.
why?
because it lacks the power to drive even a efficient iem.
(ortofon eq7, ue700...)

why would i prefer this over the onkyo/wadia?
because:
first, its cheap.
second, youll be able to hold the ipod in your hands while its docked...its like the one you will find in the BOWER AND WILKIN's ZEPPELIN.
in short, operation is a breeze!

if you truly value and want to upgrade the experience of listening to your music thru the ipod...
owning this PURE i20 is a must!!!!

THE PURE I-20:

pictures.
DSC04547.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

DSC04537.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

with ipod docked:
DSC04551.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

pics when navigating:
DSC04580.jpg

DSC04585.jpg

DSC04582.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

sorry for the background guys...
im in the store, and just thought of taking pics to share it here.

happy listening everyone!

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #75 of 554

[size=18pt]PURE I-20[/size]

the PURE i20 is a PURE digital transport with a built in DAC and optical, video and audio connections.

its like the ONKYO ND-S1, or the WADIA itransport.
only, cheaper!

for $99, you can extract all the ipod's content and let the PURE i20 to process the sound.
you can use an amp with this.
and...the best thing here, is you can pair it with your OWN DAC thru OPTICAL.

wow.
for $99.
a dream come true for cheap price.

yes.
and...you can use it to connect it with your HD tvs.
by using RCA.

if youre only using the pure's dac, i suggest pair it with an external amp.
why?
because it lacks the power to drive even a efficient iem.
(ortofon eq7, ue700...)

why would i prefer this over the onkyo/wadia?
because:
first, its cheap.
second, youll be able to hold the ipod in your hands while its docked...its like the one you will find in the BOWER AND WILKIN's ZEPPELIN.
in short, operation is a breeze!

if you truly value and want to upgrade the experience of listening to your music thru the ipod...
owning this PURE i20 is a must!!!!

THE PURE I-20:

pictures.
DSC04547.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

DSC04537.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

with ipod docked:
DSC04551.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

pics when navigating:
DSC04580.jpg

DSC04585.jpg

DSC04582.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

sorry for the background guys...
im in the store, and just thought of taking pics to share it here.

happy listening everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back